Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

The Choice of a New Generation.

Xeon

Spent my time their attending an underground con *underground as in literally underground and underground as in FREAking illegal* so uh yeah I literally was Under The Land Down Under.

Also Kangaroos *or if you prefer to call them Joeys* are actually really boring unless they start wearing boxing gloves and punching people.

THAT IS ALL!!!!.

Them be the Velvets. They are made of Velvets and Megidolaon.

Bella

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"
Ugh. I HATE the mob mentality too (part of it because people can do regrettable things under peer pressure), and also mainly go to school to learn! I'm pretty sure I've gotten some strange looks from classmates before because of that. I'm grateful for the friends I do/did have in school, but choose to be productive in class, also partly because I almost always end up forgetting to do my homework at home anyways.

Fortunately, college has been much better for me, and my classmates know where their priorities should be! :)

I'm the opposite when it comes to schoolwork, I do most of my best work in the peace and quiet of home. :B

One thing about college that I'm slightly looking forward to is being around more mature people (at least I hope they will be), and also, the more varied schedule.

QuoteWhoa... You have relatives that doubt you?! That's awful! :(

When striving to impress your family, your main priority should be to impress those who are proud of you already. Be careful with your goals, and don't go too far if it means costing your happiness and free will.

For years I also dreaded going to college because I thought it was really intimidating, and because of the college student's stereotypically bad reputation (though the bad reputation mainly applies to sports-oriented colleges), but the place I go to is very friendly and is a great college for freshmen, plus I enjoy all of the new freedoms I never had in high school! :D

While I'm striving to get ahead in life and to learn, I realized that I have a similar main motive as you- I'm striving self-redemption, partly motivated by my family and peers.

I said, "I have relatives that I paranoidly believe doubt me". I've never had them say it to my face, but I have a distinct impression...

Probably doesn't help that there are a few borderline geniuses in my family (My dear cousin, the poor soul, is currently anguishing over the choice of Oxford University or Cambridge University). My family is uber competitive and the bar has been set freakishly high!

I'm anguishing over pursuing art or something in mathematics or the physical sciences... on one hand, I'm IN LOVE with art: I've been drawing longer than I've been walking and I can't, I simply can't, imagine life without it. But I seriously doubt that my portfolio would be good enough to get me into the art program at the college.

On the other, I love math. I think of it as one of the purest, truest things that humanity has ever created, and its objectivity has always appealed to me. It's my favourite subject... but I'm behind my classmates and don't know if I could ever compete with students who studied more advanced mathematic topics in high school. :(

I do think there's a difference between loving something and being in love with something... I just wonder if I could devote myself to anything but art. (Mind you, I don't consider myself a very good artist nor do I like the reputation I have among family and friends as "artistically talented").

Considering the other possibilities, though, self-redemption and honour aren't terrible motivational forces-- at least it's a helluva lot better than wanting to study something/get into a field for money or prestige. (This is probably why we have so many mediocre doctors, lawyers and politicians)

Quote from: "stewartsage"I think this is the right place to mention that sleep deprived me is an intense fan of 'Men Without Hats' and 'Men at Work'.

Oh lawd. Our radio station plays a lot of that 80s alt-pop stuff. Somehow I've become a fan of Gary Neuman and Blondie and The Human League... O.o

Quote from: "IanDanKilmaster"I don't know why, but I've been listening to a lot of country music (Willie Nelson especially) lately. I also checked out prog rock band King Crimson after catching a reference to them in a game I was playing.

Ooh, I love Willie Nelson.

stewartsage

Math, my immortal foe.  If only my brain wasn't wired for the liberal arts...

On the whole I'm not a fan of 80's music, but there are some exceptions.

Willie!

IanDanKilmaster

Huge fan of Willie Nelson I am.  Also Cash, Jennings, Haggard, Shaver, and pretty much every outlaw that isn't Hank Jr..  I think it's because outlaw country reminds me a lot of the blues, and I love the blues.  I think Nelson and Cash deserve special mention for the bluesy quality of their voices (especially late Cash).  It's depressing in a way that makes you feel better - good stuff.

Now I've been listening to Andrew W.K.... that's certainly a huge departure, ne?

As far as college goes, I highly recommend you think it through and try to make sure you really want to go to begin with.  The same goes for your major, choose based on what will really make you happy.  You'll probably wind up changing it at some point (most students do, there's nothing wrong about it), but you want to at least get off at a good start by not entering a program that's really soul-killing.

As far as art goes, it depends on how you think of it.  If you think of it as more of a hobby, college will ruin it for you (like it ruined choir for me >< ).  If you really want to be a professional, then consider an art major, but you might be able to do well without it.

It seems a bit hypocritical to be saying this at the end of this statement, but try not to let outside judgements cloud your reasoning on the matter.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Red-Machine

Quote from: "Bella"One thing about college that I'm slightly looking forward to is being around more mature people (at least I hope they will be), and also, the more varied schedule.

Yes!  I like it when people are mature, too.  When I was at college, there was only a handful of us that took the course seriously and the rest just treated it like high school.  They were asses and they failed, which made me happy. XD

Quote from: "Bella"Oh lawd. Our radio station plays a lot of that 80s alt-pop stuff. Somehow I've become a fan of Gary Neuman and Blondie and The Human League... O.o

Relevant to mah intrests, this is!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Cockleshell

Red. Imma eatcho spicy meats.
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Red-Machine

I love it when you talk dirty. XD
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Cockleshell

imma throw your thrashing skinless burned body into the festering pits of a sewage tank, and watch your exposed muscles as they.......
YOU LIKE IT WHEN I TALK DIRTY
also, get on msn
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

NejinOniwa

Ooh, that's a bloody feast right there.

With emphasis on bloody.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Ultimaninja

It takes a full minute to load this site from school.
One Full Minute.

Looking nice as always Nejin

CaptBrenden

ah, kangaroos.. I have a couple of seamless leather pouches made from them...
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Toki

You guys I went to katsucon in DC and DID NOT SLEEP FOREVER (forever being thursday-monday) but I just slept for 16 hours, A RECORD!! I danced every night but then I died on the airplane and that was my weekend ^_^ TIME TO DO IT AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AT NAKAKON
CUTE IS JUSTICE!!

Cockleshell

sounds like my schedule
without the dancing and cons and stuff

bombermania

Well, can I ask a favor folks?
Is there any personification of AVG, Avast, and Avira (the A[ntivirus] team :D )? If yes, can someone give me the link to the picture?
I have plan to insert them in my fanfic, and the only antivirus that I ever see has personification is Norton...(And I never had him in my comp...)
Quote"OS Tan Collection reminds you that your OS will never threaten to stab you(Unless somebody programmed it to do it) and, in fact, cannot speak(Unless somebody programmed it to do it, too). In the event that your OS does speak, OS Tan Collection urges you to disregard its advice(Unless it suggest you only good thing)."