Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyD

Sorry about that. Your thread has really long replies, and I end up OCD-ing and reading through all of them. XD;; I have too much work to do so I tend to avoid that. I do check my devart messages semi-regularly, so... yeah. :3

Time is a very scarce resource for me. If you take a look in my devart page, my last deviation was posted in june, and the one before that was my 2007 christmas pic.

Still I must say you've improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I checked. I can definitely see your own style.

This topicless thread is starting to turn into some self-help thread for the forums.  haha, I had a thought of making our forums into a OSC forum-tan of sorts. lol  And she'll only let the Admins near her goods, and has her own group of slaves moderators to help her.
I'll just leave "goods" open to interpretation.

okay, I have class now, laterz.

NejinOniwa

Interesting that the fall of one star gives birth (or rejuvenates) a handful of others. ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

QuoteSorry about that. Your thread has really long replies, and I end up OCD-ing and reading through all of them. XD;; I have too much work to do so I tend to avoid that. I do check my devart messages semi-regularly, so... yeah. :3

No problem...the art threads are veritable walls of text.

QuoteTime is a very scarce resource for me. If you take a look in my devart page, my last deviation was posted in june, and the one before that was my 2007 christmas pic.

Still I must say you've improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I checked. I can definitely see your own style.

Thank you very much... I means a lot just knowing people actually do flick though those art threads. I just now checked out you DA page, I really like your Kino fanart (Kino's Journey is probably one of my top-ten favorite anime series ever).

And I see your beautiful OS/2-tan picture is on your DA page...I would like take this time to shamelessly self-promote and ask you to join my OS-tan club. I'm trying to get more people onboard. ^^'

QuoteThis topicless thread is starting to turn into some self-help thread for the forums. haha, I had a thought of making our forums into a OSC forum-tan of sorts. lol And she'll only let the Admins near her goods, and has her own group of slaves moderators to help her.
I'll just leave "goods" open to interpretation.

An OSC-tan...now that'd be great. :P

QuoteInteresting that the fall of one star gives birth (or rejuvenates) a handful of others. ^^

Let's hope so...

Aurora Borealis

I'll join the DeviantOS-tans once I get my new DA username and upload some pictures. I have not forgotten at all.

Tsubashi

Thank you Bella-sama. It's good to be back. Figures I mess up on the timing, ne? -_-'

I seem to remember us discussing an OSC-tan, but in the end we decided we were all too biased. We would put too much intricacy in one area and not enough in another. Plus it seemed a little too concieted. Then again...

QuoteI[t] means a lot knowing people do flick through those art treads...

Sleepy-sama and I share at least one thing: Forum OCD. I'm currently reading through your thread in my effort to catch up, and I must say that, though I haven't gotten to your most recent works yet, you astound me with how adaptable and incredibly talented you are. I just hot to Vi-kun and oh my goodness. You improve so quickly and do so much! I am so sorry I missed so much. Gomen nasai, gomen nasai.
*Bows Apologetically*

Added after 2 hours 33 minutes:

Gah! You've a Manga thread too? I think I vaguely remember it now, but I'd entirely forgotten until a few moments ago. Honestly, you are phenomenal!
-Tsu

IanDanKilmaster

Hey guys, given the apparent concern over the level of activity, I thought I'd post in here for a change (I'm usually in the MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club thread).  I feel bad that I don't contribute more, I really don't know what I could really offer - hope my simple presence is enough ^__^.

QuoteAs far as I'm concerned, the drop off in activity has to do with the drop off in the more regular visitors. Being an artist here, I feel there are less artistic types than there were before...even if they weren't artists themselves, I mean people who were willing to talk about new designs and comment on them. I really feel the pain from that. -__-

I consider myself sort of an artistic type.  I don't really have much confidence in my ability to draw, so I don't really think my opinion of art holds much weight.  I have a few ideas for some -tans, but the concepts are mostly confined by my interests.  I guess there's no time like the present to get involved and visit your other threads, Bella-sama.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

Well, seems something's happening, at least. Progress, in my OSC? It's more likely than you think!

Tsubashi

The memberlist is really depressing... 471 no-posts! v_v
Thus, I believe  it is clean up time once more. It is once again time to prune the user tree.

Comments, Questions, Objections should all go to the Appropriate Thread. Thank you. ^v^
-Tsu

SleepyD

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Interesting that the fall of one star gives birth (or rejuvenates) a handful of others. ^^
What happened while I was gone and wallowing in physics equations and object-oriented programming? o-O
I didn't properly say goodbye!!
Quote from: "Bella"
Thank you very much... I means a lot just knowing people actually do flick though those art threads. I just now checked out you DA page, I really like your Kino fanart (Kino's Journey is probably one of my top-ten favorite anime series ever).

And I see your beautiful OS/2-tan picture is on your DA page...I would like take this time to shamelessly self-promote and ask you to join my OS-tan club. I'm trying to get more people onboard. ^^'
Thanks muchly. ^^
I have to mention that the Kino pic was a collab, and I only did the coloring for that.  Still, Kino is awesome and is also one of my favorite series ever. :3

heh alrighty, sure, I'll sign up for your group. :D
Quote from: "IanDanKilmaster"Hey guys, given the apparent concern over the level of activity, I thought I'd post in here for a change (I'm usually in the MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club thread).  I feel bad that I don't contribute more, I really don't know what I could really offer - hope my simple presence is enough ^__^.
well, whenever some thread or post gives you a meaningful thought, share the thought with us! hehe

Oh, and I personally wouldn't mind if a few new threads that can garner a sizable number of users come up.  Heck, maybe bump some old threads that have some promise.

I'd revive my Touhou thread, but I'm not sure how many (active) people here play touhou.  A lot of the people who first replied to that thread have since disappeared.

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Well, seems something's happening, at least. Progress, in my OSC? It's more likely than you think!
lol, now we need to show the result of this progress.
other than making this history-filled thread even longer. haha

NejinOniwa

QuoteOh, and I personally wouldn't mind if a few new threads that can garner a sizable number of users come up. Heck, maybe bump some old threads that have some promise.
Well, it does seem like we have to widen our audience a bit, and while we may be the second (after wikipedia) google result for OS-Tan, we need something to act as a magnet...to make sure they stay.
Hum, hum, humptee-dum.

Methinks, an organized odyssey into the worlds of +Nijiura+ and the like would be of help to us, hum, hum.

Tsubashi

eheh... Need I remind you what happened the last time we got involved in inter-board politics? ^^'
-Tsu

Bella

QuoteI'll join the DeviantOS-tans once I get my new DA username and upload some pictures. I have not forgotten at all.

*writes down Aurora-sama's name*

Yay! One more. :3

Incidentally, I've been wondering about SmackJeeves, and if I shouldn't try uploading my comic there to keep everything organized. Just a thought, though...

QuoteThank you Bella-sama. It's good to be back. Figures I mess up on the timing, ne? -_-'

I seem to remember us discussing an OSC-tan, but in the end we decided we were all too biased. We would put too much intricacy in one area and not enough in another. Plus it seemed a little too concieted. Then again...

I remember that discussion, too...IIRC, one thought was to have it be a chimera of different OSC OS-tan designs, but that was ruled out as too complicated. Another was to make her some sort of fangirl... : \

QuoteSleepy-sama and I share at least one thing: Forum OCD. I'm currently reading through your thread in my effort to catch up, and I must say that, though I haven't gotten to your most recent works yet, you astound me with how adaptable and incredibly talented you are. I just hot to Vi-kun and oh my goodness. You improve so quickly and do so much! I am so sorry I missed so much. Gomen nasai, gomen nasai.
*Bows Apologetically*

Like I said before, it means a lot just knowing you've taken the time to go back and look though the art threads.

Ah, you've gotten to the app-kuns...wait till you get to the latest, greatest, Multics/Unix-sama picture.

QuoteGah! You've a Manga thread too? I think I vaguely remember it now, but I'd entirely forgotten until a few moments ago. Honestly, you are phenomenal!

That's why they call me the hardest working woman in OS-tan business...no...wait...not really... ^^;

I sort of got bored with the VMS-sama comic and moved on to a Linux-sama comic...which I'm committed to finishing. No matter what.

QuoteI consider myself sort of an artistic type. I don't really have much confidence in my ability to draw, so I don't really think my opinion of art holds much weight. I have a few ideas for some -tans, but the concepts are mostly confined by my interests. I guess there's no time like the present to get involved and visit your other threads, Bella-sama.

Well, nobody is that great an artist at first-- it's all a matter of practice and time. As for your -tan ideas, do you mean they're non-OS-tans? I might still like to hear about them. I admit I had the idea to make force-tans...gravity-tan, electromagnetism-tan, strong and weak nuclear force-tan, but I never really got around to it.

QuoteThanks muchly. ^^
I have to mention that the Kino pic was a collab, and I only did the coloring for that. Still, Kino is awesome and is also one of my favorite series ever. :3

heh alrighty, sure, I'll sign up for your group.

Dunno if it was the look you were going for, but the coloring almost looks hand-colored. And I like how you did the grass and sky. It's really nice. ^^

As for the club, just send me a note or post a link to your OS/2-tan picture, and I'll fave it. Those idiots at DA seem to be dragging their feet on making some sort of club feature... and I'm being a bit lazy about directly uploading the pictures to the account...

It's still in beta, though, and I'm trying to figure out the layout and such as we speak.

QuoteI'd revive my Touhou thread, but I'm not sure how many (active) people here play touhou. A lot of the people who first replied to that thread have since disappeared.

I've never even heard of it before now. -///-

QuoteMethinks, an organized odyssey into the worlds of +Nijiura+ and the like would be of help to us, hum, hum.

Journey to the Center of the +Nijura+? Around the Imageboard in 80 Days? I call first mate on this trip-- NOT! o.O

NejinOniwa

Quoteeheh... Need I remind you what happened the last time we got involved in inter-board politics? ^^'
Did I say politics, man?
I'm calling for a swift and silent info-raid, here. Sweep in, take their stuff, sweep out. No angering anyone. ^^

Continuing on my previous subject, a bit of searching turns up the following:

WE are the ONLY active OS-Tan dedicated site. And with active I mean just that; the others that turn up on google have been dead since 2004. Not so strange that we get the entire horde here. (and don't ask about Wakachan's board, they're on the Vocaloid track, the entire lot of them)

There are, however, lots of things wandering around, and other things to make. This beauty, for example (attached) I found on iichan's wiki by some random searching, and after a bit of trying, rtfm-ing, and trying again, I got it to work. If we could find and/or build more of this stuff, it's certain (i think, at least) we'd present a heavier magnet pull on new users to go and stay active. Essentially, what we need is...

...windoze hax..
-w-

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tsubashi

QuoteI'd revive my Touhou thread, but I'm not sure how many (active) people here play touhou. A lot of the people who first replied to that thread have since disappeared.

I never did get around to making that run in wine, and seeing as I gave away all my extra windows licenses, I'm pretty sure Daikokuten-san (My paravirtualization server) would object to trying to run it through Xen ^.^
Still, it looked really cool ^-^;

Added after 8 minutes:

QuoteIf we could find and/or build more of this stuff, it's certain (i think, at least) we'd present a heavier magnet pull on new users to go and stay active.

I think that would certainly draw more people in, but I don't think that would help retention any. We'd need something to engage them, not just be an eccentric download.
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

And thus comes my trap card into play.

Windows XP is (still) the major OS on the market - and most notably among more experienced users who don't want VistAIDS yet won't willingly abandon it all for Linux. And Windsws XP is riddled full of holes where you can hack stuff, as proved by the above file.
Googling a few common windows hacks, using reshack or something to modify them and then uploading the result and BAM, we spread OS-Tan XP.
Now, that might be a bit of a long hopeful shot, but still, I don't the slightest doubt that it can be done.