Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

I live on some 60 N coordinates, so I'll be up to my knees in snow in a few weeks (hopefully). Was freezing today, so hopes are good.

In other notes, I spot a Tsubashi on the "members online since yesterday" list. Hmm...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Seamore

Hmmm. I lived on 6 S Coordinate, so unless hell frozen over, there will be no snow around here.
Anyway, some random question (and probably stupid), I see alot of member in this forum, but only a few of them active. When I say active, I meant often post and exist in some threads. Or did many of them are actually in more specific thread rather than casual thread?
--- When it\'s worth doing, it\'s worth overdoing it ---

VonDaab

I live pretty much in the same Latitudes as Neijin, and yes, it was pretty cold today, thought the real cold is expected to come for the end of this week. Really hope for some snow...

SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURES AND NO SNOW!? WHAT IS THIS? MADNESS I TELL YA!!

Christmas and Newyear? Well, probably be at home with the people.
I'm not that much of a traveller (see: "totally broke and cant afford any travelling")

My christmas&newyear vacation is around weeks long this year, so I got lot of time to waste on vidyagames.

NejinOniwa

QuoteAnyway, some random question (and probably stupid), I see alot of member in this forum, but only a few of them active. When I say active, I meant often post and exist in some threads. Or did many of them are actually in more specific thread rather than casual thread?
Welcome to the Dead Forum syndrome!
Well, not quite dead yet, but parts of it are. Lots of old members have come and gone; they might not be active anymore, but their posts and accounts are left. Also there's a veritable HORDE (almost half of our numbers) who just register for the sake of it, and probably either just lurk, or just don't come back after registering. Thus I'd say about some 5% (maximum) of our members are, in any way, currently active. Don't be surprised, boi ^^

SleepyD

Where's our cosplaying Codi?!

yeah, what Nejin said.
There was a time when there was a post at least every hour.  IRC channel was a bit more alive too.  
Part of it is that the OS-tan thing has lost its novelty, so we're not attracting new members due to the idea of OS-tans anymore.  (Speaking of which, Chemistry-tans! lol http://en.akibablog.net/archives/2008/11/50757123.html)

Heck, I haven't been very active either.  I've started posting here a little more just recently.  Not as much as when I joined, but there were way more active threads I could contribute to back then.

I gather that the lurkers are usually the ones just browsing the pr0n.  It's not like our discussions are very interesting. >_> Well, they are at times, but not consistently.

VonDaab

Well, I might not follow every thread there is but I'd say I'm pretty active on this site, posting once in a day or two.
But when I'm at my comp, I'm almost always logged into the IRC.

IRC channel having at moment 3-5 "active" users. By active, I mean people that are logged but probably are AFK.
I usually try to greet new people, if they come there, but mostly if anyone logs in, they log out before I even get to notice them.

NejinOniwa

*sadness*
;_;
I'm in despair! This dying site has put me in despair!

Aurora Borealis

Me too! OSC is starting to (if it hasn't already) become a mere shell of its former and glorious self!

This is not the first time OSC has gone downhill- it was nearly dead from early to mid-2006. It is still possible to make another comeback!

Seamore

I REALLY hope it can make another come back. It will be a great loss such an awesome site and members have to go away.
--- When it\'s worth doing, it\'s worth overdoing it ---

Tsubashi

I completely agree. As such, I ought to apologize for my prolonged absence. -.-'
*Bows Apologetically*

Having been gone so long, I've missed quite a bit. You will have to forgive me as I slowly catch up on the posts I've missed. ^.^

It occurs to me that if we want to revitalize OSC, we ought to repair some of it's key functions, no? From what I've noticed: The wiki's SQL pages need repairing, The gallery's submit feature is broken, and approximately 341.5 GB of our monthly 400 GB downloads are lost to various forms of Nijikaku, (most notably v2.5) meaning that the download section always seems locked up.
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

What's more, all those in there are WAY outdated...

I'd say you'd do us a service if you just deleted those outright from the web.

Also, what's with the absence-mode you've been giving us, huh? What have you been up to?

Tsubashi

Hmm, I don't know about such things, but seeing as googling "nijikaku" turns up OSC, and 95.7427329% of initiated downloads are by guests...
So, unless anyone has a better idea and/or objections, I think Nejin-san's idea will be put into action.

As for absence-mode... it's called a 16hr workday and 5 credit-hours of classes ^.^'
-Tsu

SleepyD

yoh tsubashi!

if you want to keep them on, maybe require a certain number of posts before a user can access the games category?  It's not like just registering is much of a barrier.  Spammers are pretty easily picked out in here anyway.

well, if we want an ostan-collections revival, we need to be consistently posting here and actually give it a nice active atmosphere. Active being the key word here.  It helps to keep both missing veterans and newbies participating whenever they pop in.

Tsubashi

Good point. We already have the OS-tan Citizenship group designed for a similar purpose, ne? I'll just go adjust those permissions then. Wonderful idea Sleepy-san ^-^
-Tsu

Bella

As far as I'm concerned, the drop off in activity has to do with the drop off in the more regular visitors. Being an artist here, I feel there are less artistic types than there were before...even if they weren't artists themselves, I mean people who were willing to talk about new designs and comment on them. I really feel the pain from that. -__-

But it's good to have you back, Tsubashi.