Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Ehhhhhh, the Boy Scouts doesn't have any religious affiliation. Though I've heard they aren't fond of openly atheist members.

Chocofreak13

i remember hearing on penn & teller's bullshit that the boy scouts were originally started as a christian-backed organization. or catholic. and yes, they openly expelled/denied gay or atheist members. of course, this is only officially, as most scout masters don't give a shit what you do or do not worship. :\

also, ghost hath returneth!!
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

The scout movement was started in the UK in the 1800s by a guy called Baden Powell.  It was used to keep young boys out of trouble, teach them discipline and responsibility.  And also to prevent them from masturbating.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Lol, wasn't preventing boys from masturbating the aim of nearly every youth organization at that time?

@Kari - Did Ghost come back to your house or did you find her? Either way, that's great news. : )

Chocofreak13

we think fern found her. she just sort of materialized at the front door. :\

also, if you wanna see something inspirational, read my latest facebook post. >w>
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

"How many times faster is a Firewire 800 port than a Firewire 400 port"

finally

Nichi

I take it you had a nerd moment, Kriz; like the time when I owned an Office Depot employee by correcting them on how 1TB was not1,000GB, but in fact 1,024GB. Huge difference :3

Chocofreak13

i hope i can have a nerd moment someday. :3
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Nah, Firewire 800 is twice as fast as 400, just finally it's not a super Windows question like "What is the name of the log file and its location that is created when you enabled boot loging from the Advanced Boot Options startup menu"

and was an actual general computer question.

Chocofreak13

ah. well, good for you :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

I only have nerd moments when vintage/antique computers turn up in conversation....... as you can imagine it doesn't happen often, but it's kind of amazing being able to communicate with Ye Olde Tyme Hackers.

Speaking of which, it now occurs to me that the only people who've expressed curiosity at my being a female computer history enthusiast have been microcomputer collectors (vintage Apple / Commodore / TRS-80 collectors); most of the really old computer enthusiasts I've met (mainframe and minicomputer collectors, DECies, IBMers, MIT people) have never made any remarks about the rarity of females in this field of interest. I wonder if it's because most of them are old enough to remember a time when there were still a lot of women involved in the computer industry, and in the case of all those ex-corporate employees, probably worked alongside women at their old companies.

Or if it's just that their field of interest (pre-1970s computers) is so esoteric that it's remarkable for them to meet another person interested in it, period, regardless of their sex/gender.

Chocofreak13

i'm willing to bet it's the latter. seems like most of the interests here at OSC run on the obscure side.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True that. Most people in my hometown are confused when I mention things like LaserDisc, for instance

Chocofreak13

yeah, i don't find many other people singing to themselves in japanese. :\

wait, one of my friends does that. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I'll soon be taking my typewriter in for repairs. The guy I talked to said it'd run about $60, so all I have to do is drive up there and drop it off

I did manage to use it long enough to write a letter, which is when another problem creeped up: a strange knocking sound coming from the inside. I'll bring that up when I take it in for repairs, just in case it's a sign of something major...or, hopefully, just some debris in the gears.