Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

I have nothing to really add on the matter, and since we seem to be an understanding on the current one...

So, I'm a cat :3
</random_attempt_at_starting_discussion>

stewartsage

Shock and awe?  Chemical weapons are pretty damn horrible, that's why no one talks about them.

[POST ON CHEMICAL WARFARE EFFECTS REDACTED]

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, nothing much more to add on nuclear anything, atm.  I think stew wrapped things up in a nice little bow... a deadly, plague-inducing, and genocidal bow.  Sigh... Iran...

Anyway, interesting news on the SOPA front.  Last I heard, SOPA would likely be dead right out of the gate when it comes to a vote, but now there's expected to be a much bigger push for the PROTECT IP Act (which is really just as bad as SOPA).  I'm not discounting SOPA despite the news, and the potential for PIPA to get another push doesn't set particularly well with me, either.  Anyway, I signed an anti-SOPA petition on the White House website a while back and here's the response.  So it seems I could potentially be asked to be a part of a conference call with "Administration officials" to discuss the best way to deal with "rogue websites" and "piracy".  I'm not holding my breath, however, I do find the possibility very intriguing.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

@gas warfare: so i was wrong. >>; i hold my ground, though, coal, nuclear, and gas warfare all suck.
also, i have my gas mask. it doesn't protect against nuclear warfare, but i can go to the market and pick up some borax for that. so i'm prepared.

@sopaII: i'm going to sit back and watch it unfold. and if sopa and eparasite pass, then there will be ways around it. and i will use them.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Dan: I signed that same petition, myself. I'll fight, as if SOPA or e-parasite passes, I'm fucked; there's no way for me to get around it, as my contact with anyone who would know how to get around it would likely end up being cut

Chocofreak13

not via skype. they can't take that away. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, I guess that much is true :3

Oh yeah; almost forgot I exchanged phone numbers with you, Bella, and Stew. Huzzah!

Red-Machine

From what I recall, PROTECT IP actually predates SOPA.  It was considered too vague, so they came up with SOPA instead.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

yep. ^^ so there's always a way. even if we have to use snail mail, there's something. (QUICK, EVERYONE GO BUY A TELEGRAPH)

so on a more benign note, i'm looking to add umeboshi to my bentos this season. the urusei yatsura fansite lists the health benefits, and i've been wanting to try them. given the grueling schedule, i'm thinking this might be the right thing to do. :3

now, there's just the matter of getting them in person or online. >>;
click to make it bigger

Paul

Nichi

@Paul: Nice, man. What kind?

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 15, 2012, 03:22:24 PM
From what I recall, PROTECT IP actually predates SOPA.  It was considered too vague, so they came up with SOPA instead.

Indeed, it would be more accurate to call SOPA PIPA-II or both of them DMCA IV and V (or something like that... there's been so many bills of this nature made).  In any case, E-PARASITE is apparently what PIPA has been renamed >.>.  It's a serious case of "new packaging, same product" or "Prince Syndrome".

The good news is that the conversation over this legislation seems to be taking the right direction, i.e. that both PIPA and SOPA, in whatever form they take, lack the conciseness of language to be approved as law.  Hopefully the discussion continues in said direction, and the bill we eventually get is actually something constructive.

The Choice of a New Generation.

stewartsage

Get a telegraph key?  I ALREADY BUILT ONE!  No internet legislation can take away my shortwave radio either.

Chocofreak13

*5 years from now*
*the internet as we know it has shut down*
*we all stay in touch via carrier pigeon and ham radio*
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Not a carrier pigeon; an owl. The only problem with buying myself an owl is that, if I send a letter to Bella, she'll try to keep the bird xD