Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Bella on January 08, 2012, 10:07:40 PM
I'm an internet anarchist, but hell, ANYTHING would be better than SOPA at this point. 'w'

I would much rather there be less restrictions on the internet as well, but a well-written, concise document of regulations is far better than a poorly-written, easily abused farce for commercial autocracy.  The DMCA is badly misused as it is, but if enough good input gets into the OPEN Act, we could start seeing many of those abuses curtailed.  If precise authorities are delegated, they'll rule out any authorities outside their purview by simply making clear, for instance, that free speech trumps any claim of copyright.  As it stands now, the DMCA is already being used to shut down works that could be considered for educational, informational, or satirical purposes.  That, my friends, is what is truly important here, free speech.  A document like SOPA only seeks to expand the potential for control of free speech by being so openly worded, and the mechanism by which they intend to enforce their restrictions could make the internet an even more unsafe and unfun place for everyone to be.

I also wanted to point out that a boycott is unlikely to do anything with most of the companies on that list.  The reason the GoDaddy.com boycott was so effective is because ALL of their business is done online, and since a good many people who use GoDaddy are savvy enough to know about SOPA, well getting the word out and enough people to send GoDaddy a message wasn't all that hard.  As far as the three console manufacturers go, they never officially supported SOPA, but instead signed on to support a bill like SOPA, however, they are still a part of the Entertainment Software Association, which does officially support SOPA.  Microsoft is an especially interesting case as they are also a part of the Business Software Alliance which now opposes SOPA.  If you check the second link, Joystiq is currently in the process of getting responses from members of the ESA on their own individual stances on SOPA, we'll see how it goes.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

@idk: i'm still interested in sending mail to the companies. offering an alternative like the OPEN act would likely entice people to switch. and it'll make me feel better about it all if i participate.
@bella: i've been there. caffeine helps. :\ (be careful though, depression is what got me addicted to caffeine.)
@pentium: indeed, my friend, indeed. -w-
and i'd lol if he said yes. xD
@nej: welcome back! ^^ hope you had fun and didn't get too frozen. now go post in the theory thread, it seems to have stalled. :\

guys, i just learned something so awesome i almost cried. i was wicked afraid of failing something last semester, but i checked my grades a few minutes ago, and i got straight B's!!! ;v; my GPA's up to a 3.0!!! ;v;
(it's so awesome, i don't even care that i got outbid again. >w< )
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Directly contacting them the way you're talking about is a far better idea, so good for you on that :3  It's a good thing you want to participate.

I'm also proud that you're doing so well in class, it's always a good thing to hear that students are succeeding and happy.

Chocofreak13

technically i'm not in class again yet, but it's still exciting to know that i didn't blow it. ^^
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

I figured that much out, it was more the point that you're making good progress, despite your fears.

NejinOniwa

GJ K-chan!

Here's to me wishing I can keep my head together for MY studies...

fucking maths -_-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

think positive! as in positive integers! a positive times a negative makes a negative, but if there's another negative there to multiply, it becomes positive again! so even if something bad happens, just remember that something worse is just around the corner to make it better again! ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 09, 2012, 07:46:52 PM
think positive! as in positive integers! a positive times a negative makes a negative, but if there's another negative there to multiply, it becomes positive again! so even if something bad happens, just remember that something worse is just around the corner to make it better again! ^^

^ Words of wisdom ^

Bella

Things i've learned watching Frontier Force and Alaska State Troopers:

1. Montana is full of methheads, potheads, hobos, cows and cops who herd cows for public safety.

2. Alaska is full of drunks, vagrants, fishmongers and bald eagles who occasional swoop down and attack people about the head and neck with their razor-sharp death-talons and beaks. Occasionally they unleash their bloodthirsy fury upon young children.

For having majestic child-attacking eagles, Alaska is clearly superior.

Nichi

@Bella: I admit, I laughed at that more that I probably should have xD

stewartsage

Congratulations Kari!

Fishmongers..... pimps?

Also: Just realized I've been looking at this website in like, half size, for about a year.  Derp.

Chocofreak13

@stew: herp?
and thanks. ^^
@bella: this is the reason the eagle is representative of our country. cause when you least expect it, the US is gonna swoop in and kick some ass. -w-
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

So guise, I might have tinnitus. *sleep-deprived-barely-sane-face*
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

@Red: That doesn't sound good, man

Red-Machine

Constant ringing in my ears...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!