Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

In the last six months or so my iMac has started sounding a bit... louder, I guess. She's always made a humming sound when running, but now the noise seems a little louder/deeper. And I can hear her HDD writing occasionally, but that's only when the room is REALLY quiet (and it's been that way since the beginning).

Chocofreak13

if it starts getting more frequent, i'd consider that the cause. but it's something to think about in the long term. :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Mechanical hard drives that are aged make a ton of noise, especially clicking noises, every computer with a HDD does it eventually, even if the drive isn't going to die for years. New noises are things to watch out for, but generally, don't worry, old hardrives just get loud.

Chocofreak13

i suppose you're right in that, since i was told that it was III's battery that went. though, considering it couldn't even boot, it may have been both. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

What had me really concerned was hearing the click when there's no drive activity; during times where I'd assume it'd be idle. I guess the drive might be fine, but it's a concern for me when she used to be almost completely silent aside from when I was actually accessing the drive (Which I consider normal)

Bella

Quote from: PentiumMMX on January 05, 2012, 11:55:19 PM
What had me really concerned was hearing the click when there's no drive activity; during times where I'd assume it'd be idle.

That does sound troubling... : /

Quote from: Krizonar on January 05, 2012, 11:45:45 PM
Mechanical hard drives that are aged make a ton of noise, especially clicking noises, every computer with a HDD does it eventually, even if the drive isn't going to die for years. New noises are things to watch out for, but generally, don't worry, old hardrives just get loud.

True that. Both my eMachines and HP notebooks tend to sound like coffee-grinders when running... >__<;;

In other news: This TV show I'm watching is stirring up my sense of RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION.

Basically, there's this 17 year old British woman who has A-cup boobs, and she eventually pestered her parents into letting her get implants - since minors in the UK can't legally get that surgery done, they traveled to the US to find a doctor who'd put them in. NOW, the entire idea of a teenager getting non-essential cosmetic surgery is ethically suspect enough, but her reasoning I find far more disturbing - she kept referring to herself as "being a child" or "looking like a young girl" just because she had a flat chest. Literally her first exclamation when she saw her fake C-cup boobs for the first time was "I'M A WOMAN NOW!". In a later interview she talked about no longer being a child and how happy she is that her upper and lower body now match - in other words, that she was a woman "below the belt" and a child "above the belt" before, and now that she suddenly has knockers, she's ALL woman. (Since, you know, a rack = instant womanhood!)

People with that mindset should not be getting their breasts operated on, they should be getting psychiatric therapy... or if they absolutely INSIST upon surgery, some sort of lobotomizing procedure.

Nichi

>_<

People like that should be punched in the face, honestly

Red-Machine

If Fuuka's an Intel Mac, you should run Spinrite on her.  You should be able to get it from any torrent site, I wouldn't recommend paying $100 for something you're only going to use once.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Paul

The random clicking sounds could mean that the drive has encountered some r/w error and knocks a r/w-head against the stop position to shake some possible microdirt off.
I've never had HDD problems on Euphy (my iMac), but shouldn't r/w errors show up in the syslog? When a Seagate died in one of my POWER boxes there'd also be a few clicks, then some r/w error during access operations. When looking in the syslog it always presented me with DISK_ERR4 (but then again, that was on AIX).
Euphy is also generally quiet, but the click-click of the Seagate can be heard almost all the time (late 2006 white model)

For Katawa Shoujo.... it seems to be really polished and well made. Soundtrack, story and the characters are IMO worthy of a professional VN made by a major company. And it's easily the most beautiful VN made in Renpy I've ever seen.

Chocofreak13

@paul: that testimony about the game validates everything i say about free programs. in the right hands, any freeware program can sparkle like you paid $1000 for it. ^^

@bella: that girl needs some help. she obviously has a severe self esteem issue. and as for "being a woman above the belt", maybe she should take a trip to japan. they don't care about that there. :\

also, i assume that show was on TLC. the only thing i watch on that channel anymore is Extreme Couponing. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Paul: I'll have to check that. How do you access the syslog?

@Red: I'll keep that in mind

Paul

/var/log/syslog should be the file

Nichi

I looked in there, and the only thing involving the HDD from around  the time of the knocking was that I could find was an error saying "lowdisk". There's about 28GB of space left, which I find unusual

stewartsage

So I know I'm the only person who plays World of Tanks here, but the monumental (and I mean as slow as a monument) slowness of these low tier French tanks is starting to get on my nerves.  They didn't even include the decent one (Souma S35)!  But it's all worth it when I get my Char B1.

Bella

Good news: I found an IBM Selectric today at a thrift shop.
Bad news: It's the most ornery and mentally-challenged Selectric ever.

;__;