Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

aw. <3

if we're talking about favourite items of jewelry, then the ones from my grandmother are my favourites. i have a silver necklace and a silver/gold ring from her that i wear every day. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

On the subject of favorite jewelry, my Pentium earrings ^_^
The look nice when worn in trap mode, and badass as cufflinks on my jacket in standard mode

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

My favorite items of jewelry are probably my white beaded leverback earrings, they're very comfortable, have never irritated my ears and I was able to wear them for over 6 months straight; my garnet studs, since those were the first earrings used when I had my second pair of piercings put in (that was something I'd wanted to have done since i was like 12 but was always too afraid to do), and of course those Nike missile control-system vacuum tube earrings (even though I'm kind of afraid to wear those). >v<;

Nichi

So, I'm just about ready for Christmas; with one gift remaining to ship out, 3 people left to get gifts for (Which, I think I finally had an idea on what to get my parents...)...and the tree isn't even setup, nor have the stockings been hung ^_^;;;

Paul

Got a bad, bad, BAD flu yesterday.... nose is running like a waterfall :/ I'm already on my second (big) box of Kleenex :S

Bella

@Paul: That sucks. There's nothing more annoying than an excessively runny nose. : (

Chocofreak13

@paul: make sure you blow. get it all out. :[

so guys: there's 2 weeks left of school.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-------
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

@Choco: End of the week if my b-day (11th) and then winter break starts on EVE for us!

Some of my favorite artists on DA had their art stolen and such today and the past few days.

Dude who stole the art is claiming that its them who stole his art, what an ass!

Chocofreak13

@kraus: i hope that gets worked out. someone on DA sued gaiaonline for stealing some of her work, and she won. :\

guys, i miss my cat. this cat is beautiful, but she just reminds me of olive. ><;;

she's beautiful, though. and she deserves somewhere nice to go.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

@choco: Yea, its forced one of the people off the DA for the time being and another has their account locked for the time being \-.-/

In other news:

I've decided to revoke my job application from the place I've applied for, I'm making the call tomorrow morning.
I came to this conclusion after these key facts:

1. I'm working on getting Microsoft Certified. (50% complete).
2. My dad gave me a job offer of $20/h and extremely flexible hours.
3. The amount of paperwork is 3 months worth and its been close to 4 months since I've started the application process.
4. The work is on an tray line, scooping slop on a tray for hours a day.
5. School is the most important thing at this point.

So yea, I'll have to pay them back for the Physical and shots that they have provided me with but that will be covered under my insurance with my mum's job.

My mum yelled at me when I told her about my decision but I just took it and didn't mind it, my dad gave me the thumbs up for it though.

The OHA approves of my decision:

Chocofreak13

@kraus: amen to that. why work in a job you're not gonna be happy in? what kind of quality of work will that bring? plus, working for family can be easier in alot of ways. for example, my mum has worked at my uncle's store for what is probably 10 years now. solid job, alright pay, and the only real problems she's had is that they don't give her more than 3 days a week and that some of her colleagues were jerks (not anymore).
if she has any complaints, she can just voice them to her sister. :3

so guys, i feel the need to tell you about something that happened today. it proves that wise men can be major fools.

my teacher descibed anime as a genre as "filled with mostly sex and violence" and that "almost all readers of manga are men. occasionally a woman will be among the group, but that's very, very rare."

he then went on to display some rather.......'interesting' (offensive more like) sculptures that i can only describe as "what someone who doesn't know shit about anime might think of when they hear the word 'anime'." (i'll be posting pictures in RPT goes wild.) me and my friends retorted his arguement hotly (my friend ayla introduced the statement that the large part of "sex and violence" anime came from the 90's, to which i added that if one looks at 80's anime and anime of the 00's and beyond, that there's not very much sex and violence at all.), and spent the rest of class (the better portion, actually) thinking of anime that doesn't fit that description. (hetalia? no. card captor sakura? nope. pokemon?  not really.)

after class, my friend reminded me of azumanga daioh and lucky star, which sure as hell don't fit that mold. so i told him to look up lucky star, as an example of the other end of the spectrum, since while anime CAN contain sex and violence, that's not ALL it is. ><;;

this gives me even more motivation to kick some ass on my paper. (the book i have is proving surprisingly useful; i made a good choice with this one.) on the upside, i aced my midterm in that class. :3 (it was kind of hard to fail, actually. :\)
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Kari: That entire situation sounds like it was full of more dumbfuckliness than a basket full of dumbfuck. Because:

1) It's a reflection of the irritating bias against manga and anime-style artwork within the art-school community. There are a lot of art schools that will turn down people with manga-based portfolios, EVEN if they are artistically-sound and the artist competent, and many schools that are tolerant of manga-style works aren't exactly kind to them.

2) Because calling anime a GENRE is pure idiocy. It would be like calling comics a genre, novels a genre, or live-action TV a genre. GENRE refers to a group of themes included in a work - mystery, action-adventure, romance, science fiction, etc - while anime is a type of production, in this case, ANIMATION. Really, that's all it is - cartoons that happens to be from Japan. I hate it when people treat it like this bizarre, alien thing that only weirdos enjoy.

3) Saying anime is filled with sex and violence is like saying movies are filled with sex and violence... or books are filled with sex and violence ... or music is filled with sex and violence... in other words, it's a gross over-simplification. Yeah, there ARE a lot of violent and/or sexual anime series and movies - they were around in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today and aren't going to go away - but the same goes for movies, TV shows, books, comics, theater productions, music, art, and any other forms of human creative expression there might be.

4) I don't think there are anime that do or don't fit "the mold", mainly because i don't believe there is a "mold". This goes back to what I said about anime being a production format, not a genre. Sure, there are anime that have become rather representative of the non-anime-viewing public's perceptions of anime - things like Bleach and Naruto - but I don't think those are any more or less representative of what anime is than Serial Experiments Lain, or Gundam, or Escaflowne, or Pokemon, or Azumanga Daioh is. It just happens that anime has less of a fandom in the US than live-action movies or TV shows, so not as many people are familiar with it, and thus more prone to stereotype ALL anime based on the few titles they have heard of or are familiar with.

5) Anime has a bigger male following? Oh, yeah. Just like music has a larger female following. And more men than women like movies. And girls really go for TV series! If everything I just said sounds like ridiculous assumptions I just pulled out of my butt, THAT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE.

Pitkin

Wow, something related to pop culture is "full of sex and violence"... never even crossed my mind. xP

It turned out to be a mistake to believe that leaving my oldest and favourite figurine at my parents would keep it safe compared to trying to ship it abroad. Obviously some genius had considered it to be just a perfect sturdy toy for one and three-year-old children, as now Fuu Hououji's glasses are nowhere to be found and her head is broken into three pieces. -.- It's amazing how it just had to be the most emotionally important of the figurines that was bludgeoned to death like that...

Mind you, I don't think it's the kids' fault for breaking it as obviously they don't know better, but instead the supposedly clever adults should've just maybe figured that a fragile-looking figurine isn't that much different from a crystal wine glass. The figurine was obviously GIVEN to the kids as it was placed somewhere no kid under 6 years of age could reach even with a stool.

Oh, the rage. :/

Red-Machine

Ugh, that sucks Pitkin.  You have my condolences on your loss.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!