Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

@Choco
As silly as it sounds, this is scientific when you think about it from a psychological perspective.  Psychology is a science after all, so any new insight on human thinking is a "scientific discovery" in the most basic sense of the expression.  I admit it's pretty ridiculous when you consider that many people already figured this out, but some people want to see it in quantifiables, you know?

@Bella
I can see where you're coming from in a way.  I can remember when I really didn't know either, but I have a much better understanding - especially now.  I try not to make a big deal of this, but my gf is trans.  She hasn't had any therapy yet, so our current relationship is very much like a male-on-male relationship.  My romance with her pretty much demonstrates how someone can be monogamously bi.

Yeah, I read that Irene had already come through North Carolina.  It'd be a good idea to pack it all in - if not for the hurricane itself, for the winds it'll bring.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 27, 2011, 02:06:04 PM
lol, neighborhood committe. do they conduct the neighborhood watch, too? xD

what's so confusing about male/male, btw? lots of species practice homosexuality. :\

Yes, yes they do.

I honestly have no idea, I guess I just assume that females are the more sexual and sexually-experimental gender. I'm just not entirely sure what men see in other men... or women or anyone or -thing else. It's completely, blatently erroneous - I chalk it up to projecting my own imagined feelings of what it would be like to be a man (ie, completely asexual) onto an entire sex; and my inability, as a very strongly cisgendered woman, to empathize with the male romantic or sexual experience. Though having a male S.O. has pushed me to become more empathetic in this regard, I think.

IanDanKilmaster

I think the important thing is that you don't let those feelings cloud how you feel about such relationships in and of themselves.  I do think it's understandable you feel the way you do, as it can be pretty puzzling from an outside perspective.  Especially when that perspective is so distantly separated from the actual idea.  In the simplest terms, it's difficult to empathize when you don't have a peen xD.

Chocofreak13

@bella: well that's good. it's nice to have a broad perspective of things, especially things that you're not (ie: different gender, race, class, etc).

@dan: she sounds nice. :3
click to make it bigger

Remilia

@Red, ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn (or something like that).

@Pentium, I had to use google (well I do that every day anyway) since I haven't watched Doctor Who at all and didn't know who were you talking about. Maybe I should watch it (someday).

Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on August 27, 2011, 01:26:20 PM
The problem is, MOST of the people who hold this view aren't going to be swayed by something so flawed and refutable as "scientific evidence".

It's a bit like how there are still people who think the Earth is flat.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 27, 2011, 01:59:24 PM
i got denied the right to donate blood because he's bisexual

And this reminds me of how someone was (recently?) denied the right to donate blood because he looked "too gay".

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Remilia on August 27, 2011, 02:34:20 PM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 27, 2011, 01:59:24 PM
i got denied the right to donate blood because he's bisexual

And this reminds me of how someone was (recently?) denied the right to donate blood because he looked "too gay".

gotta love the red cross, amirite? xD
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

'Cause you know, AIDS comes from the HIV, and you can't get the HIV without getting the gay first >.>.

Bella

But they have mandatory testing for HIV when people donate blood, right? I don't get why orientation is an issue if the test comes up clear....

IanDanKilmaster

Here's the thing, Bella, they question you before they even bother testing you for it.

If you fail any of the "critical questions" (I know the "gay sex" ones are among them, I'm assuming there are others), you are disqualified from donating blood.  No blood test.  You can't give blood.  I know at least with tattoos/piercings there's a cutoff date (you can't have been pierced/tattooed from "x" date onward, and there's two separate dates depending on whether or not it was a licensed parlor), but the gay sex question even asks if you had gay sex or sex with someone that had gay sex since 1976 or something - like the year it was they decided to stop being gay matters.  Granted, that's when we learned there was such a thing as HIV, doesn't change that people probably had the disease before that (true those people would be dead by now, but that's not really the point).  Anyway, it's pretty damn ridiculous.

EDIT:  Excuse me, I meant the tattoo cutoff had to do with how recently you were tatooed/pierced.  You have to wait 6mos if it was a licensed parlor, and a whole year if it wasn't licensed.

Red-Machine

Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on August 27, 2011, 02:19:23 PMI try not to make a big deal of this, but my gf is trans.  She hasn't had any therapy yet, so our current relationship is very much like a male-on-male relationship.  My romance with her pretty much demonstrates how someone can be monogamously bi.

Good for you!  I have quite a few trans friends, now that you mention it.  When you say no therapy, you mean she's had no hormone treatments at all?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Red-Machine on August 27, 2011, 03:04:15 PM
Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on August 27, 2011, 02:19:23 PMI try not to make a big deal of this, but my gf is trans.  She hasn't had any therapy yet, so our current relationship is very much like a male-on-male relationship.  My romance with her pretty much demonstrates how someone can be monogamously bi.

Good for you!  I have quite a few trans friends, now that you mention it.  When you say no therapy, you mean she's had no hormone treatments at all?

Yeah, it's currently out our reach, financially.  She's been wanting to do this for a long time, but where we are, let's just say there aren't any doctors or support groups for that sort of thing.  We found out there might actually be a place we could go that's about an hour away, but that also takes money we don't currently have.  It's really hard for her, but I'm doing what I can to help her bear with it.

Red-Machine

That majorly sucks, I can't imagine how she must feel.  Give her my best! :)
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, we deal with it as best we can, and we'll make it through just fine.  Thank you for your support, Red. :)

Nichi

Sounds like you found yourself a good girl, Dan *thumbs up*

Well, I learned something today: updating Ubuntu takes ages. I started the update process at around 8AM this morning, and it's still going. It's downloaded everything it needs, but now it needs about 2 more hours to finish setting everything up.

stewartsage

*Late to the sexuality party*

Cap'n Jack Harkness is pansexual as I recall.

I'm one step closer to school now that I'm sitting in my hotel room in Elkins having survived the terrible terrible force of Irene (periodic heavy rain on the drive over).  Additionally: OH LOOK IRENE WAS DOWNGRADED TO A CAT. I HURRICANE.  Jesus people, you're still acting like it's the next Long Island Express; its an average hurricane with average hurricane effects.