Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i feel kind of depressed. a few years ago, i had this great scarf: red and white acrylic double thick jolly roger scarf. it was soft as hell, warm, and an easy 6 feet long, and i loved it. i even wore it in the summer. but one day in the middle of january it disappeared. i think it was stolen. i ended up using a different scarf for the rest of the season, and resorted to using my WWII scarf since then. but recently i've remembered it, and wanted to see if i could find it on the net. however, given the popularity of those stupid hipster fringed droopy scarf-things, combined with head scarves and silk scarves, i only found 2 results that even came close, and one was a dead end.

if anyone sees a scarf anywhere that looks like this, please let me know right away (cost isn't an issue here, and i assure you that the scarf looks much better than that, i just suck at ms paint with a trackpad).
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, I think it's safe to say my boss may have forgot entirely about the schedule shift. Not only have I not seen him much this week, but the few times I've seen him since then, he hasn't brought it up at all; leading me to believe that he forgot about it.

So, maybe I won out that battle without even lifting a finger. We'll just have to wait and see...

Chocofreak13

don't jinx it!!

these ginger cookies are good. which is nice, since i'm alone tonight. atashi wa samishii desu.....

.....*cuddles vincent plushie*
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Bella on August 24, 2011, 08:26:42 PM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 24, 2011, 07:50:49 PM@nej: just the thought of the cost of 9 years of college makes me want to cry, never mind the time.....i'm barely making it into my second year..... ;v;

Quote from: stewartsage on August 24, 2011, 07:54:22 PM
Oh look two more years of college before I get my bachelors degree.

And I still haven't decided on what I'm going to do with college since the ones I want to go to would require me going away and starting a new life, and the one that's just down the street would require me compromising my principles to study something I don't want to. >:[

Ooooh college... yes... college >.>... not exactly the best time of my life (though I did have some fun, admittedly).  Still, my only advice is to follow your passion.  Few feelings are worse than the regret of a life not lived.  That's not to say it's a good idea to skip out on education, but if you're going, you should definitely go where you know your interests are.  If you do go, go because it's what you want to do.  To you, Bella-chan, I speak more directly, please, go where your passions lead you, but if you start out at a college that specializes in a curriculum that you'd rather not study, it's not the end of the world.  It might help if you could find out if any of the credits you earn at the nearby college will transfer to a college you'd like to eventually attend.  Keep in mind, unless it's a technical school, one usually doesn't study the more major-specific curriculum until your Sophomore or Junior year.  The first year or so is usually devoted to the core curriculum, which is generally the same across all majors.  I tell you all this because I think it might be a good idea for you to strike that happy medium between staying close to your family and still getting to study what you want.  Basically if you were experience college for the first year or so while still having your family close by, I imagine it would be a lot easier to branch out and go to schools that are farther away later on.

Wow... that's a mouthful for my first real return post >,<.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

yeah, that was. :\

on the upside, what you said rings so true. :3 even in art school, which is quite specific as colleges go, i spent my entire first year doing general art classes instead of what i've chosen as my career. (it wasn't a bad thing. i found out that manet is one of my favourite painters, and that 6 classes is too many for me. :\ )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Choco: I actually think I may be in the clear on this one, because he did try to pull something like this back in March; except, instead of a schedule shift, he said he was going to constantly page me throughout my shift that day to make sure I'm not slacking off, with the added detail that if I didn't answer it quick enough, or at all, I was going to be fired on the spot.

He never paged me at all that day, which lead me to believe this was intentional (He was not going to page me, but then lie about how he did but I didn't answer, so he could get rid of his most hated employee), but since he never said a thing at all when I passed by him on my way out, it apparently meant that he forgot

Chocofreak13

heh. guess you're ok then. :3

y'know, the site currently registers 27 "guests" lurking around here. for so many people wanting to see our site, we don't get that many new members. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 25, 2011, 09:55:01 PM
yeah, that was. :\

on the upside, what you said rings so true. :3 even in art school, which is quite specific as colleges go, i spent my entire first year doing general art classes instead of what i've chosen as my career. (it wasn't a bad thing. i found out that manet is one of my favourite painters, and that 6 classes is too many for me. :\ )

Well that's great Choco, honestly that's part of the college experience.  You get to really explore yourself, figure out what you like and don't like, and grow mentally - at least that's how it works if you're doing it right xD.  I would say that it seems you are :3.

Chocofreak13

heh. i already know what most of what i like, weirdly enough. and it's not what most of the kids at my school like, which lands me as an outcast there, just the way i like it. i never thought that there would be so many chobani-eating, tight-pants-wearing, smoking hipsters claiming to be "artists" there. :\

either way, i'd say my "college experience" is basically my high school experience, only further way and more artsy. i keep more irratic hours, and i don't get yelled at for getting soda from the vending machine (though i still invade the teacher's lounge on occasion).
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

That's funny, I kind of thought that was the stereotype of so-called "art students".  Not to say there aren't many, like yourself, there to learn art, but many seem to be those hipster posers that have become the blight of any college campus with an art program.

I say this because I ran into the same problem back when I was in college, I think I might have witnessed the first wave of an invasion at that time.  In the art department, the theatre department, and yes, even the philosophy department.  They were "existensialist" souls armed only with a pack of smokes and a "free love" mindset that screamed "hippie wannabe".  Please laugh with me if you can enjoy the irony (as you know, hipsters do many things for the sake of irony, yes?).

Chocofreak13

i recognize the existence of stereotypes, but work so that they're not furthered. an artist that goes with the crowd isn't an artist in the slightest, which leads to my confusion as to why they think I'M the freak. the only silver lining is that at least half are predicted to drop out after the first year.

(sorry if i seem a little argumentative, just saw this video and decided to call an asshole out on his comment that the "nordic type" americans lack any sort of compassion. being half swedish and a raging liberal (not to mention one of the loudest anti-nuclear voices i know), this guy irks me on multiple levels. ><;;; )
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

No worries, I agree with you, Choco-chan.  I was just commenting on your apparent surprise.  What I meant was, being familiar with said stereotypes - how could you expect much else?  Granted, most people desire for situations to exceed their expectations, but at the same time, we're used to getting the norm, right?

Chocofreak13

i suppose i expected art students to be more original. i've learned not to set my expectations so high in this country. :\
click to make it bigger