Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

Quote from: BellsWe will eat Johnny Cakes and clam fritters and stuffed quahogs, ginger ale imported from Chelmsford, chowdah (Rhode Island and New England), baked beans, Portugese sweet bread and chorizo, lobstaaaaah, food that should never have maple syrup put on it but do and tastes delicious because of it, and boiled dinners that have been grossly overseasoned with sage and parsley 'cause we love that shit in New England.

You know, because we don't have any of that stuff down here.  *shrugs*  But I look forward to being treated to all sorts of delicious food stuffs.  And Narragansett beer.

Today I got the Blues Brothers soundtrack on LP, along with some Black Watch Regimental Band music, and two old school 78rpms from WWII.

Chocofreak13

if you can get those 78's into mp3 format, send em' my way. -w-

also, even if i don't like it, i can say that you do not have chowda. :3

(so i accidentally kicked my computer and stubbed my toe >>; )
click to make it bigger

svx

Got my new computer case!  I went with the Lanboy Air, blue

None of the pictures on the internet give this thing justice.
And I know all about justice,
because
I am batman.

And this case is like, Batman's computer case.

This case is the law around these parts now!

Anyway, I'm torn about what kind of innards I want now that I've got my SDD's and the case and power supply and stuff...
I'd like the fastest of the fast, so I'm patiently waiting for AMD to reveal the new 8-core Bulldozer chips
But...  What uses 8+ threads?  AMD is going for maximum throughput betwixt all cores just like always, but can they really topple Sandy Bridge in the performance/enthusiast segment when it's so difficult to find programs that use 2+ threads as it is?

So, I think I'll wait and just find out.  If Bulldozer owns Sandy Bridge, I'll go AMD even if Ivy Bridge is just around the corner.  Because screw Intel's "let's change the socket" thing every generation/slight upgrade...  But, if Bulldozer sucks, I'll go Sandy Bridge i7 for a comparable price!

What says the OSC forums regarding this drivel I've been typing?

Chocofreak13

make sure it's shiny!

EDIT: btw guys, my friend is doing a survey for his statistics class, so i figured i'd help in getting data for him:

on a scale of 1-10, how relaxing do you find video games?
click to make it bigger

svx

Relaxing video games?  Hmm.  It depends on the video games.  I guess you can average mine together, but here's a quick list:

QuakeWorld - 4 - The only game I play online...  It's the most fast-paced FPS ever created, and the learning curve/skill required to be competitive is just absolutely immense!  For people with 10-16 years of experience, it's just reflexes (watch demos!) and is probably very relaxing :p  For me, since I've played less than a year...  It's probably a 4, because I'm eager to win but am a newbie in a world of professionals

RPG's like Seikendensetsu, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc - 10 - Highly relaxing, enjoy just grinding so that I can smash everything and have fun exploring

Pokemon - 1 - I am serious when I play Pokemon.  Most of my time is not spent playing Pokemon; it is spent researching Pokemon on the internets.  Pokemon isn't a game.  Pokemon shouldn't even be on this list because it is srs irl biznes

Open-ended FPS RPG's like Morrowind, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc - 10 - Ever get high and just wander around Morrowind?  I could be as relaxed as possible as I meticulously steal that glass armor, raid Tel-Aruhn, amass piles of pillows, and eventually capture Vivec inside of a soul gem  :p

Games like F.E.A.R. - 10 - FEAR (the original's) AI is incredible, and I had more fun setting up ambushes and traps against the enemies than in any other game.  Very relaxing for me!  I wasn't afraid of Alma popping out...  I was happy to learn more of the story :p

Games like F.E.A.R. II - 1 - Highly remorseful of having played that game.  When the story of a game is written by a bunch of ITT Tech dropouts and it's the sequel of a game that was written by someone more skilled than Shakespeare, it frustrates me.  I've tried to play through F.E.A.R. II, but every time I find a PDA in a toilet stall that apparently is "highly classified," and that explains and rewrites the original story in a way that only a young child could, I just quit  :(  Bad sequels = make me feel uncomfortable

RTS games (Warcraft I/II/III, 0 A.D., etc) - 10 - I feel relaxed when I can be creative and generate huge cities of sentry towers for enemy civilizations to try and get through  :p

Games like ICO - 10 - Very relaxing!  The moral is probably that good stories and aesthetic scenery and sounds are relaxing

Too long now...  Hmm...

4 + 10 + 1 + 10 + 10 + 1 + 10 + 10 = 56
56 / 8 = 7

I am 7.0 relaxed when I play games!

Edit:  am I the only person who is OCD and flips out if my post has typos in it?  :p

NejinOniwa

Nope, you're not. Fortunately I'm a skilled typer so I seldom make typos, but still...

As for me - I have WAAAAY too much of an adrenaline supply to be relaxed when gaming. Like so:

Fighting games (Tekken, Soul Calibur, SF, SSB etc): -10. No, seriously, I start sweating if I play fighting games for too long.
Low-tier RTS Games (Age of Empires, Warcraft etc): a 7 or so. At times frustrates me because I can't grasp their stupid controls, otherwise relaxing.
High-tier RTS Games (Supreme Commander, Total Annihilation): I'd say a 4. While I am serious as hell when playing (most of the time), the pace of the games make me relax somewhat.
Turn-Based Strategy games (Alpha Centauri, Civilization, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Master of Orion, etc): A clean 10. THIS is what I play to relax my shit. Good time for planning and taking it slowly, while also being fully relaxable.
FPS games (Counter Strike, Half-Life, Etc): Quite relaxing since I very seldom take them seriously. But the pace of them give a lower score, so maybe 7.
Old-style RPG's (Final Fantasy series etc): Chiming in with Vodka-kun here, those are 10's in my book too.
Pokémon (VODKA-KUN YOU SINNER YOU SPELLED IT WRONG!): 1 FOR SRS BSNS
League of Legends: Depends a lot, actually, but seldom below 5. I'd say 6. Very relaxing as long as you have a good team.

Total of 35 through 7 items = 5.
I am 50% relaxed, on average, when playing games.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

@svx: i'm a spelling and grammar nazi, so whenever i catch a typo in one of my posts i go back and fix it (it helps that opera has spell check). there are times when other people's poor spelling is so annoying to me, it's like hearing nails on a chalkboard ^^;

that said, thanks for your results, i'll post them to my friend. :3 if anyone else wants to participate, he needs at least 50 responses, and facebook seems to be failing him. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on August 17, 2011, 08:09:37 PM
Quote from: BellsWe will eat Johnny Cakes and clam fritters and stuffed quahogs, ginger ale imported from Chelmsford, chowdah (Rhode Island and New England), baked beans, Portugese sweet bread and chorizo, lobstaaaaah, food that should never have maple syrup put on it but do and tastes delicious because of it, and boiled dinners that have been grossly overseasoned with sage and parsley 'cause we love that shit in New England.

You know, because we don't have any of that stuff down here.  *shrugs*  But I look forward to being treated to all sorts of delicious food stuffs.  And Narragansett beer.

Today I got the Blues Brothers soundtrack on LP, along with some Black Watch Regimental Band music, and two old school 78rpms from WWII.

But you really haven't had coastal New England seafood until you've had it on the coast of New England........ with me. And maybe Kari. And if we go to Rhode Island we'll have to find some coffee milk gently laced with absinthe.

Truefax: Every antique store I've ever been in, in the area, has had at least one copy of the Blues Brother soundtrack on cassette or 8-track.

Chocofreak13

@bells: that's cool.

and on a scale of 1-10, how relaxing do you find video games? :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Since I didn't get a chance to reply this morning (I was in a bit of a hurry), here's my views on what Choco asked:

For me personally, it all depends on the game in question, and in some cases, what part of the game. For instance, I find the daytime parts of Persona 3 (Where your character is an ordinary high school student going about his day-to-day life; going to school, hanging out with friends, etc.) more relaxing than the nighttime parts usually are (Where your character and some of his friends explore a really tall tower, fighting off various monsters), although if there isn't a boss fight or anything major like that about to happen, it can still be somewhat relaxing.

As a whole, I'd have to say a 6\10. For me, it's not just a matter of the genre, but a matter of what I'm currently doing in the game

Paul

Fucking virus destroyed my Windows 7 on the Thinkpad T_T (ran exactly for 2 weeks :/)

Alright, reinstalling this sucker tomorrow...

Red-Machine

Did you have antivirus?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Paul

Of course I had... Avira did a decent job up to now :/

Chocofreak13

schedule regular virus scans~~

hope it all works out :[

@pentium: thanks for the info ^^
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

SO MUCH MINECRAFT TONIGHT
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS