Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on June 03, 2011, 04:22:34 PM
@Red: At the moment it's up to $1.50, but I placed a bid for $50 just to see what will happen. You never know, I could end up with a MacBook for less than the cost of an iPod Shuffle
First, check what the user's % of positive feedback is. You want to buy from people who have 99.5% or higher.

I had a bad experience because I neglected that out of joy.

Nichi

They have 100% positive feedback and have been selling since '09, which makes me feel comfortable that they are trustworthy

Red-Machine

I got to work on one of those a few weeks back.  It had a dodgy graphics card and was garbling the screen colours occasionally.  They guy had just bought it and said he was gonna throw it in the trash if I couldn't fix it.

I did, however.  I was almost tempted to feign inability just so I could rescue it later.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

Ooh; Power Mac...*drools*

Anyway, I also bought some tickets for the iPad raffle they're having at work; just to see what will happen with it. It's worth a shot, and the money does go toward saving the boobies, so what do I have to lose?

Chocofreak13

save the boobies! even i'd enter the raffle if it was to save the boobies. ^^

EDIT: hey guys, this is a bit TL;DR, but it's an amazing article. if i was to ever be a teacher, this would be the first thing i'd pass out to my students.
http://www.wesjones.com/gatto1.htm
click to make it bigger

Alex_Reetz

why a powermac?

that is way to expensive for something that old. mac's label is 70 percent of the price of that computer.

also, i still write stories. my handwriting is shot when i am high, but sober, i am pretty well at it. i might make a thread focused on my writing.
(if anyone cares.)

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: Holy s*** that article is thought-provoking and mind-blowing! I must have been one of the lucky ones, as I didn't get bored easily in high school, I had great teachers, and was able to avoid those pitfalls listed. I would have wanted to show my interest in what I was taught more (i.e:my sciences classes) by asking more questions, but didn't speak up much out of the fear of being seen as the teacher's pet among a crowd of students mostly in it for the grades. :(

Krizonar

Because, according to benchmarks, "something that old" can fight a similar speed C2D neck and neck.
You expect to get a 2 ghz dual core, liquid cooled tower made of titanium with swappable ram and hardrives for... $125? You can't even buy a decent 7' netbook with an Intel Atom for that much. That's actually a pretty good deal for something of this caliber. I just went to the Dell site and built something with similar specs to this, it was almost exactly the same price as this person wants for this.

And because I have an ADB screen that I have nothing for, as well as a gaping hole in the timeline in my collection around the G5.

Alex_Reetz

but, do you need it?

it is cheaper to build shit. even a mac. yeah, you don't get the crappy aluminum cases that warps, but it might be better not to have it.

Krizonar

Probably not, but I also don't need any computer, not even this one. Need is like an onion, it has layers.

The thing's only like $350 dollars, with negotiable price, how much money could I possibly save by putting myself through the trouble of acquiring all its parts separately and then spending the time building it?

If this was a $3000 gaming tower, I could see building it myself to knock some price off, but it's not.

Chocofreak13

@aurora: i'm thankful i didn't give a shit what everyone thought of me, asking questions and talking to the teacher always made class more interesting (at least in high school). the teachers always had something intelligent to say, which made it worth talking to them. even now, if i don't have a friend in the class, i try to talk to the teacher.

also, my processor is running wicked hot tonight. i can't get why, i only have 4 applications open, and not nearly as many tabs as usual. it's making everything lag something fierce, and it's pissing me off. (i even went into task manager and closed some background applications! ><; )

it's also pretty annoying that there's so much activity for once. i'm happy about it, but at the same time i can't get a post in edgewise. ><; (just wanted to vent a bit. ><; )
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I printed that article, btw, Katarina loves stuff like that. Thanks for posting it!

Chocofreak13

np. ^^; glad that i was heard amidst the conversation. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

You were heard.

I refresh this site everyday like 50 times over the course of it hoping somebody posted something I can respond to.