Siya's Concept Hut

Started by Siya, July 17, 2007, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Before I inevitably swoon again, just want to point out that AEGIS and Domain/OS are more-or-less the same thing -- so for the sake of practicality, I'd merge the two (or make one the younger iteration of the other).  ^__^

Maybe refer to the Wiki article for more clarification.  -v-

In the meantime,... sorry, but I just gotta..... ^___^'

*C-chan SWOONS*

Siya

<.<

>.>

So....I stumbled upon this Linux distribution focused solely on video editing, CGI and three-dimensional animation.  The name (and screenshots) amused and inspired me.

CHAINSAWLINUX-tan!   Watch out!  Her skirt has saw teeth! XD

Quote from: "Bella"LinEspa and AEGIS I've never heard of before, but none the less I love your sketches! They're very fluid and elegant, and I really love their outfits, not to mention their hair and accessories.
LinEspa is a Spanish language Linux distribution.  (Linux Español)  The logo is a wasp.

AEGIS (Domain/OS) was the operating system developed by Apollo Computers.

QuoteWith OLPC-tan, actually, I've wondered when we'd see a design, and it's cool you decided to make one! She looks very sweet and friendly...perfect for the concept, I believe!
She definitely needed to be someone who'd be good with kids.  I just couldn't decide whether it should be on the mentor or friend level.  

QuoteAnd it'll be neat seeing an RIP-tan...I once had an idea for a recovery OS-tan similar to that, but I never when forward with it : / Knowing you, however, I'm sure she's going to be awesome!
Yay!  I'm glad someone else had a similar idea!  That seals it, then!  RIP-tan is a necromancer!

Quote from: "C-Chan"Before I inevitably swoon again, just want to point out that AEGIS and Domain/OS are more-or-less the same thing -- so for the sake of practicality, I'd merge the two (or make one the younger iteration of the other). ^__^
Yeah.  I had noted that Domain/OS was mostly just the SR10 version of AEGIS and, according to what I can glean from Wikipedia, Domain/OS was more buggy and performed more poorly than the earlier AEGIS versions.  Merging the two may be better for the two designs I have.

Bella

ChainsawLinux-tan may look cute and all, but I'm wondering what she does with that chainsaw O__o

Hopefully, she does carvings and not...well, better not go there ^_^ (At any rate, why do think she might get along with VMS-sama?)

QuoteLinEspa is a Spanish language Linux distribution. (Linux Español) The logo is a wasp.

Thanks for the info!

QuoteShe definitely needed to be someone who'd be good with kids. I just couldn't decide whether it should be on the mentor or friend level.

I believe a (long) while back there was some discussion about a possible Edubuntu-tan, and I think I remember C-Chan mentioning making her a young teacher...so maybe a young mentor?

QuoteYeah. I had noted that Domain/OS was mostly just the SR10 version of AEGIS and, according to what I can glean from Wikipedia, Domain/OS was more buggy and performed more poorly than the earlier AEGIS versions. Merging the two may be better for the two designs I have.

Or, if you want to keep both designs, you could say one is a younger version and the other is an older version of the same character :P

That's what I like to do with some of my designs...

C-Chan

Sorry all!  I don't have very much time left before I go on leave, so please forgive me if I have to engage in Hyperactive Hyperdrive C-chan Mode!  ^___^;

*engages Hyperactive Hyperdrive mode*

QuoteCHAINSAWLINUX-tan! Watch out! Her skirt has saw teeth! XD

WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!  SUGOINESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!  ^V^
LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!LOVEHER!!  
Not smart to be near her when she pirouettes, but love her still!!!  New girlfriend!!!
COME TO PIGGY!!!!!!  ^V^

*C-chan leaps toward her with lecherous zeal*

*C-chan gets chopped in half by her skirt*

QuoteLinEspa is a Spanish language Linux distribution. (Linux Español) The logo is a wasp.

A+ PLUS FOR RECOGNITION OF RARELY ACKNOWLEDGED SYSTEMS!!!  ^___^b

QuoteShe definitely needed to be someone who'd be good with kids. I just couldn't decide whether it should be on the mentor or friend level.

Excellent too!  Should note that one of my early OS-tan ideas (after UNIX-sama and Amiga-tan) was an OLPC-tan.  But ditched her after a while since she was hardware -- very glad someone took her up, even if it's a year later.  ^.^

Too bad she's not exactly $100 USD anymore,... maybe is she weren't measured in US dollars.  ^___^'
Have high hopes for the Indian $10 laptop.  ^.^

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9716044-7.html

QuoteYay! I'm glad someone else had a similar idea! That seals it, then! RIP-tan is a necromancer!

She and Plan 9-tan will be great friends then!  ^.^

QuoteYeah. I had noted that Domain/OS was mostly just the SR10 version of AEGIS and, according to what I can glean from Wikipedia, Domain/OS was more buggy and performed more poorly than the earlier AEGIS versions. Merging the two may be better for the two designs I have.

Note that Bella-san's idea of making one younger/older can help preserve both designs.  Ultimately up to you -- benefit of merging is that you have more time to draw another OS-tan.  ^.^

QuoteI believe a (long) while back there was some discussion about a possible Edubuntu-tan, and I think I remember C-Chan mentioning making her a young teacher...so maybe a young mentor?

My original OLPC-tan called for her being an actual child/young adult living in a destitute area, but still traveling seeking knowledge as well as a means to survive.  And yes, she does spread what she learns to other kids in her position, so in a way she's like a mentor, but far from a professional teacher.  Despite that she's a very good girl, she's still ostracized a lot by many of the more popular OS-tans, and somehow always ends up being hungry.

While I do respect the OLPC idea, I do have my reservations -- not necessarily that food and shelter are needed in lieu of laptops (that won't happen anyway, and even if it did it only bandages the problem, but not the cause), but more self-sustenance.  For the OLPC program to succeed, the children and their parents (if any) must live in a society where they can eventually grow their own food, build their own schools and hospitals and simply have the opportunity to climb out of their misery -- and that's impossible as long as governments are still out to kill them and economic policies still depend on them being remaining poor, ignorant and desperate.  I wouldn't be surprised if many of these OLPC's end up in black market trades, irregardless of any marketed "social stigma".

Or maybe it's just my Latin American mistrust for anything with the name "Negroponte" in it that makes me overly cautious.  ^^;

Siya

Quote from: "Bella"ChainsawLinux-tan may look cute and all, but I'm wondering what she does with that chainsaw O__o

Hopefully, she does carvings and not...well, better not go there ^_^
Well, as she is mostly a visual media oriented system, I imagine that using the chainsaw for carvings/sculpture is rather appropriate.  She "saws" at video data to create a work of art?  If she ever has need of a weapon, though, I'm certain that the chainsaw would work in a pinch.  Hopefully ChainsawLinux-tan is not prone to bloody killing sprees.

Quote from: "C-Chan"*C-chan gets chopped in half by her skirt*

o.o;  

I...I did warn you about that.  I can't have random forumites dying in my thread, yet.  It gives me a bad reputation!

<.<

>.>

*duct tapes C-Chan back together*

There...good as new. ^_^;

Quote from: "Bella"(At any rate, why do think she might get along with VMS-sama?)
Eh?

Quote from: "Bella"I believe a (long) while back there was some discussion about a possible Edubuntu-tan, and I think I remember C-Chan mentioning making her a young teacher...so maybe a young mentor?
I should really read some of the older discussions.  It might help me in some of my research and design process.

Quote from: "Bella"Or, if you want to keep both designs, you could say one is a younger version and the other is an older version of the same character :P

Quote from: "C-Chan"Note that Bella-san's idea of making one younger/older can help preserve both designs.  Ultimately up to you -- benefit of merging is that you have more time to draw another OS-tan.  ^.^
Actually, instead of a younger/older thing, I was beginning to think that the two designs could just be different outfits for different purposes.  The left one just looks more civilian and the right looks more...superhero-esque?  I wouldn't go so far as calling one a secret identity, though.  When I think of multiple different versions of an OS-tan (Vista?), it reminds me of Sharon Apple from Macross Plus.  Sharon was just a computer AI, but she had several different holographic "bodies" for performing different songs.  I'm not sure I can properly lead you to where I want to go with all of this, but that's what I think of.  I also feel as if I've gone off on a tangent.  I don't even know if the multiple aspects idea for AEGIS-tan is appropriate.

Quote from: "C-Chan"She and Plan 9-tan will be great friends then! ^.^
Yay!  RIP-tan has a friend!

Quote from: "C-Chan"My original OLPC-tan called for her being an actual child/young adult living in a destitute area, but still traveling seeking knowledge as well as a means to survive. And yes, she does spread what she learns to other kids in her position, so in a way she's like a mentor, but far from a professional teacher. Despite that she's a very good girl, she's still ostracized a lot by many of the more popular OS-tans, and somehow always ends up being hungry.

While I do respect the OLPC idea, I do have my reservations -- not necessarily that food and shelter are needed in lieu of laptops (that won't happen anyway, and even if it did it only bandages the problem, but not the cause), but more self-sustenance. For the OLPC program to succeed, the children and their parents (if any) must live in a society where they can eventually grow their own food, build their own schools and hospitals and simply have the opportunity to climb out of their misery -- and that's impossible as long as governments are still out to kill them and economic policies still depend on them being remaining poor, ignorant and desperate. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these OLPC's end up in black market trades, irregardless of any marketed "social stigma".

Or maybe it's just my Latin American mistrust for anything with the name "Negroponte" in it that makes me overly cautious. ^^;
This suggests to me that OLPC-tan is well-meaning, but not quite the best at recognizing what is practical or noticing the dark dealings of the world.  Naïve.  That's the word I'm looking for.  For some reason, though, the age that best fits to me would be somewhere between late high school and a recent college graduate.  OLPC-tan has just realized the poor living conditions of those elsewhere in the world.  Her compassion burns a fire within her to try and make the lives of those children better.  But she's still too green to understand the politics of it all and ends up going about everything the wrong way.

That, and OLPC-tan getting sold on the black market sounds akin to an American charity worker being kidnapped and held for ransom in a guerrilla-infested nation...or even enslaved!

Poor OLPC-tan.  She means well.

Does this sound appropriate?

Techno the fox

OvO *Wide-eyed stare*

MEEP!
*Techno sparks*

I Love the Linuxes.

LinEspa: Oooh, yaay for under-recognised linux distros! Since she's a spanish linux, I wonder if she can speak english?

Aegis/DomainOS: Cute, I'm liking those little cable-things she's got around her head.

OLPC: Cool design. Yeah, she means well.

CHAINSAWLINUX: O.O *Squeak*
CCCCCCUUUUUUUTTTTTEEEEEE

*Leaps toward chainsaw-tan but stops himself after remimbering what happened to C-chan*

On another note...I hope she doesn't use that chainsaw....like secchan uses the bottle-opener..

Momonga: EEEE....Are you trying to kill me with the cuteness?
Anyway...SQUIRRELY
*glomps*
This one is comming close to Fchan and Inu-t's spot in my heart.
Especially if she gets any fluffier

Bella

QuoteWell, as she is mostly a visual media oriented system, I imagine that using the chainsaw for carvings/sculpture is rather appropriate. She "saws" at video data to create a work of art? If she ever has need of a weapon, though, I'm certain that the chainsaw would work in a pinch. Hopefully ChainsawLinux-tan is not prone to bloody killing sprees.

Phew XD

We do NOT need any Texas ChainsawLinux Massacre! LOL...

QuoteThere...good as new. ;

No, gimme that C-Chan!

*has delicious ham roast*

QuoteEh?

Just that her chainsaw kinda reminded me of VMS-tan's cleaver...both frightening potential weapons, I guess ;)

QuoteActually, instead of a younger/older thing, I was beginning to think that the two designs could just be different outfits for different purposes.

That's cool too, I like designing different outfits for my OS-tans :)

Siya

So, in keeping with my pattern of ignoring the piles of sketches that I have to clean up into finished works, I made someone completely different: APODIO-tan.

Okay, so this is another audio-focused distro.  While she is French, she reminded me of a Japanese taiko drummer (especially that octopus logo of hers).  So, knowing she is French and has a Victrola on her head, I designed her like a taiko drummer.

She has a variety of audio-oriented programs which are the "drums" she plays to create her music.  I gave her hair a generic, segmented look to allude to the tentacles of her octopus logo.

My defense for using a traditional Japanese costume on a French OS is the Art Nouveau movement.  OK, maybe Art Nouveau is a bad example.  But in my years of studying art history and costume design, I've noticed several movements of French art and fashion that are heavily influenced by Japanese and Chinese culture.  This is not including the modern anime/manga craze.

Quote from: "Techno the fox"Momonga: EEEE....Are you trying to kill me with the cuteness?
No...

<.<

>.>

Is it working?

Quote from: "Bella"Just that her chainsaw kinda reminded me of VMS-tan's cleaver...both frightening potential weapons, I guess
Oh, I see.  Yes, rather frightening weapons.  

Which reminds me...

APODIO-tan's drumsticks are her weapons.  Whether they can transform into a more weapon-like form or she just whacks people with them, I'm not really certain.  I almost want to leave that part a mystery and let other people decide how that all goes...and what forms her drumsticks can take, if any.

Techno the fox

Quote from: "Siya"No...

<.<

>.>

Is it working?

Yes, if you keep drawing things as cute as that my head may just explode.
:D

Quote from: "Bella"No, gimme that C-Chan!

*has delicious ham roast*

Darn it Bella, I was going to do that. ^_^
*Hatches a sneaky devious underhanded scheme*

OMG, look behind you! It's Tiger-kun!

*Steals the C-chan roast while Bella is distracted*

Muahahahah!

Anyway more comments for new drawings.

Apodio-tan: Yaay! More of those Music-based Distros!
Cute too! (though for some reason, whenever I think of an octopus all those Tentacle hentai comics come back to mind)
Ah, what the heck.
*Leaps toward Apodio tan*
Whee! *hugs her*

Keep up the good work Siya!

Siya

Quote from: "Techno the fox"*Steals the C-chan roast while Bella is distracted*

Muahahahah!
You know...I was wondering if we could melt him down into one of those desserts that he has a tendency to become.

Quotethough for some reason, whenever I think of an octopus all those Tentacle hentai comics come back to mind
Actually, I neglected to think of that.  Now that I do, I imagine her hair might turn into actual octopus tentacles.  I also imagine that hentai is inevitable...but I'm not drawing it.

QuoteWhee! *hugs her*
Although, just to be safe, you should probably keep an eye out for tentacles.

Bella

When I first saw her I was like, "What!? Who's this adorable new character!!!"

I have to say I really like her look and outfit! She's just so...funky and eclectic :D And, I don't think I'd pick a fight with her...that look on her face is like, "come on...try me!"

I certainly don't think any Mac OS X-tans wanting to challenge her about who possesses the better musical skills would be well advised to do so :P

I'm just wondering, what program to you use for your artwork? Photoshop?

Siya

Quote from: "Bella"I'm just wondering, what program to you use for your artwork? Photoshop?

Yup!  Adobe Photoshop Elements, to be precise.  I pencil and ink them before I scan them in, then clean the linework and add color.  (Only Bluebottle-tan was inked in Photoshop).

I'm still fairly green at computer-aided art, so I'm not doing as well with shading as I would like.  This is partly because I'm used to using colored pencils.  If I would have practiced markers or oil paints more, prior to attempting computer-aided art, I might have an easier time.

With colored pencils, I can create works like these:

These required about half as many colors as I would need for computer art.  That and it's easier for me to control pencils than a tablet.  

So, I'm training to get better on the computer!

Techno the fox

Quote from: "Siya"You know...I was wondering if we could melt him down into one of those desserts that he has a tendency to become.

Or tell Xp Pro-tan and Fchan-tan about this and we could all have a BBQ party XD
(Fchan-tan likes pork and beef as much as Saseko does)

Nah, as much as I'd love a Malt Shake or a BBQ right now I have to admit, The forum just wouldn't be the same without that Wiki-mod, Tall Girl-loving, Pig.

*A lightbulb appears over Techno's head*
Aha! We Can Bring him back.

*Runs off to look up "Plan 9-tan"  "RIP-tan" and "Leopard-tan" in the phonebook.*

Quote from: "Siya"Although, just to be safe, you should probably keep an eye out for tentacles.

Ahh, Thanks for warning me about that.

*keeps a watchful eye on Apodio-tan*

*Looks back a few pages and notices Ghostzilla-tan*
GAAH How could I miss something like that?

Love it love it! :D
I would do my normal jump-hug combo but I'm afraid I'd go right through her. hehe

Siya

Quote from: "Techno the fox"*A lightbulb appears over Techno's head*
Aha! We Can Bring him back.

*Runs off to look up "Plan 9-tan"  "RIP-tan" and "Leopard-tan" in the phonebook.*
A wonderful idea! ^_^

Quote*Looks back a few pages and notices Ghostzilla-tan*
GAAH How could I miss something like that?
Easily!  She's built for stealth and easy to miss!

QuoteI would do my normal jump-hug combo but I'm afraid I'd go right through her. hehe
Quite probable.  In addition to her disappearing act, she has a tendency to look like other active applications (and to network administrators, she would look like Firefox).  So, a proper list of Ghostzilla-tan's abilities would be disappearing, making herself intangible and altering her form to look like other application-tans.

Also, this talk of Ghostzilla-tan made me want to try my hand at making a forum header.  

Does it look proper enough to submit?  The frame is Ghostzilla's actual frame.  This would make it look somewhat like Ghostzilla has opened itself where the forum header typically does.  I was musing over making Ghostzilla-tan appear and disappear, but I don't have the proper programs to animate it.

Bella