What anime are ya watching?

Started by SleepyD, August 25, 2006, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Watching and converting are two differnt things.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Darknight_88

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"GOnna start watching lucky star tonight i think.  maybe.
Curiosity, recomendation of the power of Moe compelled you?

Quote from: "SleepyD"
in other news, I think I like this thingy in my sig.

So...now we can stalk you more easily >_>

*stares at sig*
I'M STALKING YOU!

CaptBrenden

I like azumanga daio and peeps have said its like that.

Darknight_88

'k

IMO, episodes 5 & 6 are the best ones, the first ones were somewhat "weak" (but not entirely boring). So you're advised to keep watching it at least until episode 6 :D

Watching: episode 2 of "El cazador de la Bruja". Not that great until now. Will have to download some more episodes to decide if I should add it to my list.

zjhentohlauedy

just finished sadamitsu the destroyer

and
episode 5 of doki doki school hours. sensei no ojikan!
My my, aren't you lovely~

zjhentohlauedy

started Yoake mae yoru ruriiro na.

damn that was long.

SleepyD

haha, that's almost as long as
Kumo no Mukou Yakusoku no Basho
which is a good movie, btw.

oh there's also Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
I'm on episode 3...

lol, any other series with long names?

Vangaurd666

ummm.....there's The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I'm currently watching MOHS again, and just starting on Chokotto Sister.

Nidas

Just been watching more .hack//Roots and Aria the last few days. Despite a slow start, hack has turned into a nice little anime. Far from perfect but still entertaining.

As for Aria, my doubts about that cat/dog/thing (its sposed to be a cat but it really looks more like a dog if anything) seem to be well founded which is sad cos otherwise it's a very nice anime. I'll probably finish the series since its only 13 eps and I'm already over half way through now. Could have been so much better, the basic premise is a very nice one (basically waterworld slice-of-life). Worth trying out, you'll probably love it if you can tolerate the damn cat. Did I mention I hate the cat? I really hate the cat.

One of my mates has recommended me Eureka 7 so that's next on the list. I'm not really a fan of the art style but he's told me to persevere with it :p

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"I like azumanga daio and peeps have said its like that.

Don't even compare them :p They're similar only in that they're both slice-of-life school comedies. But their artstyles are completely different, as are the characters' personalities, as is the way the comedy is executed, etc. Basically they have very different tones despite coming from ostensibly the same genre. That said, Lucky Star's most recent ep seemed more or less a direct port of one of Azumanga's eps; whether this is deliberate parodying or lack of imagination on the production staff's part or simply lack of diversity in an increasingly cluttered genre (school-life: the new harem?) is up to you, the viewer, to decide.

As for quality, Azumanga is epic, one of the few animes I've seen that had me genuinely lolling (Azuamaga, Dokuro-chan and Hidamari Sketch are probably the only ones if anyone cares) and with a very strong central cast, one of the strongest I've ever seen (excelled only by Rozen Maiden that I can think of). Lucky Star by comparison is merely above average, with a crappy central cast (2 good chars? lol wut) and running off the back of Haruhi-style humour that is popular at the moment. Course, I like both, and would actually recommend both too, but Lucky Star isn't even close to Azumanga's league imo. Also, Hidamari Sketch > all when it comes to school-life :D

CaptBrenden

Humm.. Im on ep 4 now, just finished ep 3.

....so whats the big deal?  Good enough to keep watching?  Yes.  Have I fallen on the floor and loled?  No.  I couldnt breath through azumanga daio, Ive only chuckled at Lucky Star so far.  Its a cute show, I like it. I do very much like the are style too, but the pandemic of rabid fans over it.. I just dont get.  Ill keep watching and maybe my opinion will change (as darknight said, its soppose to pick up)  

My opinion of why its not as funny:  Too random.  at least azu had an overall theam to most of the episodes.  

Like I said, funny and cute yes, made of pure win?  not so much.

SleepyD

haha, well, random does appeal to me.
I feel the same way you do. I'm not rolling on the floor laughing. But since darknight did say
Quote from: "Darknight_88"
IMO, episodes 5 & 6 are the best ones, the first ones were somewhat "weak" (but not entirely boring). So you're advised to keep watching it at least until episode 6 :D
I'll give it a chance.  I'm at ep 4 since I'm downloading from WinD fansubs. I decided I like the quality of their translation over others. a.f.k. came in second, but yeah... sleepy likes t3h translator's notes and stuff. ^^

Quote from: "Darknight_88"
Watching: episode 2 of "El cazador de la Bruja". Not that great until now. Will have to download some more episodes to decide if I should add it to my list.

I am watching that, and I am liking it better than Madlax at least. It's more well rounded than the other ones in Bee Train's girls-with-guns thing, and I always enjoy a convoluted plotline (that I can eventually understand to some degree). ^^  THere are more characters in Cazador than Noir or Madlax, so I think I'll be sticking to this series for a while

NejinOniwa

Currently i watch at least 2 eps of Haruhi every day. Man, I didn't realize how awesome portable video players were 'til now... -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

zjhentohlauedy

i'm starting hidamari sketch and continuing sensei no ojikan in my pocket pc! yup portable video players are gooooood. :)

as most people here already know azumanga is pure undeluted fun! but i wonder why so many of my friends don't even want to watch it. so i'm lolling by my self :(

Laevatein

Nanoha StrikerS just went up several notches with this scene:

Yep, Nanoha dispensing unholy BRUTAL discipline on Teana and Subaru O_O

*in this scene, Nanoha just blasted a berserk Teana sky-high for recklessness and insubordination... and this gets Subaru VERY angry...*

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

SleepyD

I began watching Claymore and Hayate the Combat Butler.

Hayate made me LOL pretty quick. XD;  And Claymore is a nice anime. Serious stuff, but good serious stuff with weird monsters and blood. XD;

and Laevatein, I will get around to watching that... soon. haha... *avoids spoilers*