What anime are ya watching?

Started by SleepyD, August 25, 2006, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i've been watching alot of avatar recently, since we got upgraded cable about 2 months ago. :3 (other than that, slim pickins' for anime at home.)

other than that, the usual: solty rei, negima!, shuffle!, gunslinger girl: il teatrino, and xXxholic.
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I've just started watching Read or Die.

EDIT: Finished it over 12 hours ago, still going WTF when I think about it.

Bella

I've seen Read or Die the movie, not the series though.

Hmm, in light of new developments I might check out GSG II.

IanDanKilmaster

@Choco: Avatar's a good show... not anime though (though heavily anime-inspired).

@ stewart: ROD movie or TV?  I've got the movie... it's pretty good.  I liked all the literary and historical stuff - really cool.

I've been watching Outlaw Star recently and just about finished - I like it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what shows [adult swim] picked up for this year.  They hinted at three, so I'm assuming InuYasha: Final Act (probably won't watch) and FMA: Brotherhood (will definitely watch considering how long I've put off seeing it online) are two of them, but I'm hoping they picked up something interesting and new.  Why the hell hasn't Index been licensed?

The Choice of a New Generation.

stewartsage

The movie, I too really enjoyed it; but watching it at 4:00 AM was probably not the best choice.  Also, it should be said that Yomiko Readman is now one of my favorite protagonists of all time.  Otto Lillienthal, jean Henri Fabre, and Stephen Wilcox as anime villains = win.

NejinOniwa

Index is too much loli for them to handle, maybe? -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

avatar is anime in my book. :\ it's better quality than other cartoons. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

As I said Choco, Avatar isn't bad, in fact, I like it a lot.  It's the one American show that uses that anime-inspired look that really gets it.  It's a show by anime fans that actually knows how to incorporate the elements that make anime (and any other fiction) great.  Still, not anime.  I would put it in the same class of western animation as a show like Batman: TAS or Gargoyles, both of which were also great shows.

On topic, I just finished The Familiar of Zero (all seasons + OVA), now I'm angry.  I don't think an anime has ever left me so disappointed or angry.  I mean, I know the idea was to leave the door open for a fourth season, but seeing how it has been just over a year since the OVA and even longer since the completion of the third season with no announcement, I'm not particularly hopeful.  Of all times, the series had to stop on such a disappointing third season.  I would just as soon pretend that neither Princesse no Rondo nor Princesses no Rondo even exists. I just want to point my finger at Shakugan no Shana for holding up J.C. Staff's progress ><.  Gah, so frustrated...

NejinOniwa

Zero no Tsukaima is, IMO pretty whitewash...

...and all too much boin.

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteZero no Tsukaima is, IMO pretty whitewash...

???

As in censorship?

Quote...and all too much boin.

Meh, doesn't bother me.  The only character that's really ridiculous is Tiffania, but I've still seen worse and it worked for this series.  Can't have a great pettanko without characters that make her complex apparent.

NejinOniwa

IanDanKilmaster

Now that I've had some time to let the initial NERD RAGE subside, I don't feel quite so strongly about ZnT.  I'm still disappointed with the ending, but I'm not pissed off about it anymore.  Bless the MST3K mantra, you save me again.

I'm sure my opinion still sounds fairly negative, but I actually did enjoy this series.  If there were any indication they intended to finish it, I would be incredibly enthusiastic.

NejinOniwa

Well, yeah. But isn't that usually the case about open-ended series?

troopermax

Lately I've mostly just been trying to keep up with Bleach and FMA: Brotherhood...

I also live in the DFW area and Funimation is starting to show some Anime episodes in theaters :D

~Troop

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Well, yeah. But isn't that usually the case about open-ended series?

Well, it really depends.  While not as frustrating as a completely unresolved plot, a plot that is wrapped up a little too neatly can be frustrating as well (generally due to some lack of creativity).  It's okay, encouraged even, to leave some questions unanswered, it spurs continued interest and repeat viewings of an enjoyable series, but to leave too much unanswered can simply cause frustration and confusion and mar an otherwise satisfying experience.

Of course, Princesse no Rondo's conclusion was obviously not meant to be the end of the series, but given the lack of information on the future of the series, one couldn't tell -_-;.