Missing windows OS Tans

Started by OS Freak, December 31, 2009, 05:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

I remember the OSC-tan fiasco. A lot of us had very different ideas for character design and personality, and never came to consensus. That created some conflict that never got properly resolved, just forgotten altogether.

OS Freak

Well FLPC is a thin client and a slim XP so the windows desktop even Luna's design is the same. How about making a really unique windows. There is yet a Windows with Red hair if red is 95 then there is none with Brown hair. Also, there are no windows with orange or pink hair. (pink does not cout as the scarse vista pink girl. That design is not even canon) No more Green please, we already have windows 1, ME, Homeko & Vista Home Basic with those colors. Silver might be also a good color Luna desktop style comes in 3 colors Default Blue (XP Professional), Olive Green (XP Home), Silver (XP FLPC). I vote for a design using Luna style Silver. ;019
Death as come. 2K Chan has but killed in extended Support. She has finally become Unsupported She is finally fully rejected by her Birth company. It\'s so sad...

Aurora Borealis

Silver hair sounds good.

BTW, 95-tan's hair color varies from brown, to reddish-brown, to orange. Saba-tan has pink hair, but it's more of a magenta shade. But aside from some pink-haired Vistans, there aren't any canon Windows-tans with light pink hair, so that could work too.

Chocofreak13

ok, silver it is. the red i had in mind was saba-esque anyway.

also, there IS a tan with brown hair. there is a representaton of windows one that has brown hair. (AFTER MUCH SEARCHING FINALLY FOUND IT)

anyhoo, silver hair, i will try to remember (also has portfolio and comik for AB looming over mee........  ._______.; )
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Let's not forget: 97-tan has brown hair as well.

Light brown, at least.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

I always thought 97-tan had the same colour hair as 95-san.  So we now have three brunette -tans.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Aurora Borealis

There's also 95 OSR 2.1-tan and OSR 2.5-tan, bringing the total # of brown-haired Windows-tans to 4 or 5 (there are two Windows 1.0-tan designs, one has brown hair, the other has green).

stewartsage

Well, if you want to count SAGE-sama there's 5 or 6.

OS Freak

Hmmm I didn't think we had so many Brunettes, Now that you guys mention it there are.
Death as come. 2K Chan has but killed in extended Support. She has finally become Unsupported She is finally fully rejected by her Birth company. It\'s so sad...

Chocofreak13

HO DEAR WHAT THE HELL BECAME OF THIS THREAD *runs around screaming*

anyway, requests for -tan art? please remind :3
click to make it bigger

OS Freak

Ahh you know mine Choco so it's good. By the way, are there multiple OS/1 OS/2 tans or just the star trek themed one?

NejinOniwa

I don't think any others have been spotted...?

Besides, she was made here, wasn't she? OS/2. It'd be strange for there to be a double...

OS Freak

Yeah OSTAN-collections is her birthplace. But I meant representing the other variables of the OS/2 for example she is the only OS/2 Tan wich ranges the representation since OS/2 1 to OS/2 Warp 4 . It's like making a Windows Tan that represents from MSDOS to Windows 7.

Bella

Quote from: "OS Freak"Yeah OSTAN-collections is her birthplace. But I meant representing the other variables of the OS/2 for example she is the only OS/2 Tan wich ranges the representation since OS/2 1 to OS/2 Warp 4 . It's like making a Windows Tan that represents from MSDOS to Windows 7.

Well no, because MSDOS was its own OS and is in no way, shape or form related to the VMS/Windows NT-heritaged Windows 7.

But there has to be a limit of how many -tans you have for a single OS or OS family. I mean, Windows XP SP 1, 2, 3 etc. have some major system differences, and yet we consider them all the same character.

In non-canon (and I really dont give a damn about canon v. non-canon), we represent Bell Labs Unix-tan as one character covering Unix development from 1969 UNICS, then all the Research Unix variations (Version 5, 6, 7), all the way up the the VASTLY different System V Unix. We show OpenVMS and VMS-tan as the same character too, OpenVMS-tan being the modern incarnation of VMS-tan.

What I'm trying to say is, instead of making different -tans for the same basic OS, we should focus on making representing the character differently in different parts of her life.

In the case of OS/2-tan, we have her 1980s self, represented as a girl in a schoolgirl-like outfit and pigtails...

there's a version for after her departure with M$, when she's still a professional businesswoman, and there's the last version in her "Warp" self where she dresses in the Star Trek-inspird clothing.

I'd sure as hell rather do this than have to think up and draw up a whole spritzload of new OS/2-tans and have to awkwardly fit them into my story ideas.

But you're free to do whatever you want... that's just my take on it.

NejinOniwa

Bell-chan is quite right on this one - overloading different -tans for the same system isn't a worthwhile practice. Aside from Mac OS, where the early ones didn't have any names but "Mac OS n" something, there isn't any need whatsoever for such a measure.