Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svx

gl pent!

By the way, have I ranted to you guys about CRT monitors versus LCD monitors before?
Because,
LCD monitors are just trash.  Goodness, LCD's are trash.
I forgot about this until today when I decided to run a dual monitor setup with my LCD and CRT :p

But man, seriously, what happened?  Things were so good a few years back!
CRT monitors have such wonderful color reproduction, such a vivid, true black,
such a fast (fast as in - "let's not waste resources trying to measure it") response time & input lag,
such a vast (as in, from every direction) viewing angle,
such high resolutions (as in, "lol, 1920x1080. you're such a silly resolution, I hope you grow up")
and etc, etc, etc

And then... LCD's came along.
Promises of performance better than CRT monitors were made, but not kept
"input lag" became a statistic for Best Buy to stick on its price-tags
"viewing angle" became related to computers, and became a problem,
and "1080p" because higher definition than 2048x1536 (which is actually a tiny resolution for many CRT's)

In earnest,
I'm frustrated about this.

It's nothing but a tactical decision by some corporations in a particular market segment.  It's a "it's newer, it's better, go buy it right now" scam, and the world fell for it :(

Nichi

I haven't had any problems out of my LG LED monitor. I still have my old NEC CRT that it replaced, as backup

Chocofreak13

i've heard a couple debates on lcd vs crt, but they're mostly from an artists' perspective.

that said, i'm willing to agree that CRTs provide better colour quality, simply because of the technology involved. it's why alot of artists keep them around (i have one in the closet for the desktop brigade). the LCD on speedy isn't bad by any means, but i like having the option of either. :3
click to make it bigger

Paul

If I really want vivid colours I've got that 22" SGI-branded Mitsubishi DiamondPro at home. Thing is HEAVY but I do love it.

Also apologies for not postimg so much lately. It's my last year in school now and there's quite a lot to do ATM :/

Nichi

Well, since I got off work early (I managed to get more done today, but still couldn't bear a full shift because the smell of that place was making me feel horrible), I got to go on an epic adventure to the store to retrieve some medicine for my mom (Who now has whatever it was that I had. Apparently a stomach bug)...driving her car, while listening to the Disgaea 4 soundtrack.

I used to hate that car for being so awkward to drive, but after getting used to the van, that car feels like a go-kart. Add in the Disgaea 4 soundtrack as background music for my journey, as well as me doing my best impression of Laharl's laugh as I took off, and you have a recipe for awesomeness.

In short, I feel like I can do anything right now, since I've over that stomach bug I had

IanDanKilmaster

I think I'd have more love for CRTs if they weren't so damn heavy.  I do miss that old technology though.  Kind of like LPs (hell, even CDs now with the way things are going >.>) or old typewriters, you get a warm feeling from just being around it... could be the radiation, though.  I also didn't really miss that "I'm about to have a seizure" feeling when watching the screen blips or those weird noises my old monitor used to make that no one else seemed able to hear (I still get odd looks around here for hearing things no one else does >.>).

@Pent:
Good for you.  Nothing like getting out after being holed up with norovirus.  Feels good to stand up and not feel your stomach turn inside out.  I don't know if I could do your work though, do you get sick fairly often working at the hospital?

The Choice of a New Generation.

stewartsage

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE THERE NEEDS TO BE AN OSC SKYPE MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC SEASON ONE MARATHON TOMORROW.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on September 17, 2011, 01:23:30 AM
IF AT ALL POSSIBLE THERE NEEDS TO BE AN OSC SKYPE MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC SEASON ONE MARATHON TOMORROW.

BUT HOW?

I'LL DO IT...... IF I CAN, YOU KNOW, RIFF THROUGH THE ENTIRE THING.

Nichi

@Dan: Surprisingly, no. I've been at the hospital for close to 2 years, and this is only the 2nd time I've had to call in sick (The other time was back in February, although there was a day back in April that I really should have but didn't)

On a similar note (Involving leaving the hospital), I plan on putting in some applications later today. That way, I can start working toward the next phase of the master plan...

NejinOniwa

WATCHING PONIES NOW
DELICIOUS
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

yesterday was ridiculously depressing.

for starters, we buried a cat.

later in the day, we watched Grave of the Fireflies.

before bed, i found out that speedy's broken again. she won't boot.

@dan: i have a tendency to hear/see/smell/taste things people can't as well, so you're not alone.
@pentium: glad to hear you're feeling better. :3 enjoy the epicness of disgaea on the road.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Sounds rough, K. >_<

I think I know why people have such strong feelings about cars and computers.... it's because they can become an extension of your body and mind.

Just a random thought I had today while eating ice cream and watching cars drive by... .w.;

Nichi

@Choco: Wow...hope you're doing better

So, I learned something today: There's going to be a collector's edition of Zelda: Skyward Sword which comes with a golden Wiimote! I...I want it!

stewartsage

I never have understood what people like so much about Legend of Zelda.  I mean,  my brother's a big fan of the games and I don't think there's anything wrong with playing them but I still don't get it.

Nichi

I never got why people where so crazy over Halo (One of my friends loves the series, while I admit that it was decent what I've played of it), so really, it all boils down to a matter of taste