Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

good luck! and remember, formulas! pemdas and the pythagorean theorem!

as for macs, i'm just hoping that stew's digital photography teacher isn't under the misguided assumption that macs are the "art" computer. ><;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Photography classes ftw (though I don't like the concept of "digital" photography; it's all photography, differentiating digital from traditional cheapens the former somewhat and suggests the latter is antiquated or esoteric IMO).

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 31, 2011, 12:37:26 PM
@stew: RETAIN YOUR PRIDE AS A WINDOWS USER!! RETAIN IT!!

Ano....... you do realize Stew used Macs near-exclusively his entire school career? Like, every major model/release from the Apple II to Leopard (if I recall correctly).

Dr. Kraus

In my opinion, Macintosh computers are best for art and design and I can back this up with exsperience. I've used a tablet on both a PC and Macintosh, I personaly prefer the Macintosh because it feels smother, doesn't lag much (never exsperinced lag in photoshop while on a Macintosh), and the displays for their laptops and the iMac are crazy beutiful compared to other monitors I've used (None have matched the iMac's screen, its absolutly wonderful).

We got iMac's in the Music Tech classes which are REALLY nice compared to the old Dell's we had in there...

Overall, Macintosh wins the race for Art's and Design for me.

stewartsage

Its digital because we learn how to use a digital camera like a real one.

He majored in ceramics.  I find it hard to take him seriously in any capacity, though I do have to agree that when it comes to intense art related tasks they always seem to earn their keep.  Even if the school only has ten of them and they're hidden in a basement laboratory.

And yes, I have used Macs since I was a very very small child.  Before I had even heard of Windows as a matter of fact, I was playing around on my Dad's Color Classic.

BUT HEY, LETS SKIP THIS SAME OLD ARGUMENT!  DOC, YOU READY TO CONTINUE SOME STRIKE WTICHES?

Nichi

I have everything in place and ready to go for tomorrow, so wish me luck

Chocofreak13

@pentium: ganbatte!!
@bella: well, that defeats my arguement in the case of stew. ;^; why does it feel like i'm the only one around here who uses windows for art?
@stew: ceramics is harder than it sounds. ><; i took it twice, but the first time i made anything of pottery was in 7th or 8th grade. (funnily enough, it's the most successful thing i've made on a pottery wheel.)
@kraus: though that saddens me, at least you're willing to say that's just your opinion. most people tend to forget to mention that, resulting in the stereotype that windows can't be used for any sort of art, or that macs are 'superior' in that aspect.

i've never done any art on a mac (i avoid them like the plague), and i can't find a difference between the comic covers i did on my DA (or the journal skin i made for my DA) using gimp and stuff i've seen from photoshop. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

@Pentium:
Good luck, I hope you do well.

@Stew:
I know what you mean.  Sometimes it just feels like someone in the department went, "Well, we don't have anyone that majored in that particular program... let's just pick someone else from the department at random... that'll work.".

@Bella:
I don't really mind a separation of the courses, but it'd be great if there were a more general course that covered both as well.  Meh, perhaps that's a bit superfluous.  I do agree that treating traditional photography as outdated is just bullshit.

@Choco:
It's one of those reinforced stereotypes.  I think it started out as just Mac having all the high-dollar and more robust art programs and then it just became the "artist's OS".  Many animated television programs have been made using Macs (sometimes the whole program, sometimes just the storyboarding), but now it's become more of a poseur thing.  People will buy a Mac in order to look like an artist, or feel like one (no slight against anyone here).

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but my first computer was a Mac as well.  It was an Apple IIe, and it was old as dirt when I got it.  I enjoyed a few games of Bard's Tale and Wizardry on that machine, that I did.  I even tinkered a bit with some old school pixel art.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

my first exposure to macs was in 4th grade, and even then we barely used them. when we did, it was to play this cool computer game with these odd purple penguin-duck things and it was educational. ^^
that said, if you don't have a mac at my school, people either think you're weird, stupid, or going for art history--or all of the above. they don't see them as "legitimate" art computers, to the point where i fought with my teacher to get him to let me to use mine (i won in the end).

also, my school still has darkrooms (2 or 3 of them), which i like even though i'm not a photo major, since non-digital photography is a dying art. (my high school art room got rid of their darkroom, leaving the darkroom in the graphic arts room as the last one, till i found out they cut graphic arts too :[ )
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, not too keen on the art poseurs.  They can take one of their hipster cigarettes and jam it in their eye...

...then they can wear an eyepatch and call themselves "hipster pirates".

The Choice of a New Generation.

svx

My experience with Macs is limited:

I remember playing Number Munchers on the Apple II-E's at school when I was little...
and then I'd play Commander Keen on a PC...

I don't think I ever touched anything besides an Apple II-E until... just a couple years ago?  That would be my second experience:

The guy guarding the Apple paraphernalia section in Best Buy abandoned his post.  I felt like (and currently am) a covert operative when I noticed the terminal application was running and I typed a single line before laughing my way over to the LCD section:

while /bin/true; do printf "lol, I'm an apple\n"; done

Paul

Bells: I might be late (was absent two days) but I wish you all the best. Hopefully things will return to somewhat normal for you soon.

stewartsage

Right, but he's a ceramics teacher teaching a photography class.  Doing a good job mind you but I'm still dubious.  Even if he is one of like, three professors in the art department.

My high school had a dark room, still does, and they built the new high school two years ago with one as well for both their photojournalism programs.

NejinOniwa

DID I HEAR SOMEONE SAY WITCHES?
CUZ IT SURE SOUNDED LIKE WITCHES
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

YEAH YOU DID BOY, GET ON YOUR ARMS (AGAIN) AND PROCEED TO FORUM GAMES.

Nichi

I'm back from taking the test, and it went quite well, although I won't know if I passed until later this month.

Some things I did learn:
- Seeing the sun rise over the lake as I drove over it was a pretty sight

- Traffic is crazy in that city around 7:30AM; I saw people using the center turn lane for passing (Which you aren't supposed to), laying on their horn out of impatience, and other things that the cops from my hometown would have a field day writing tickets over

- The essay was the easiest thing in the world for me, because it tied in with the entire reason I was taking the GED; my ambition to get a better job and in turn, have the chance to travel (Also, it gave me a chance to tear apart my boss is in the most dignified, professional way possible >:3)