Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

When I test drove Ubuntu last year, i was running 10.10.  When the upgrade to 11.0 came out, it deleted all the programs I downloaded and broke the graphics driver and I couldn't get it installed again, so I just gave up.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

stewartsage

Installed Ubuntu on the family desktop last year; not a good idea for a computer of her age and abilities.  Quickly uninstalled it though I have periodically considered installing something a little lighter.

IanDanKilmaster

@Pentium
Haha, if it's a kernel update - expect to be twiddling your thumbs for a good while.  Generally though, Ubuntu was pretty snappy with updates if done regularly enough.

And thank you very much.

@stew
I still agree with you, but I'm not entirely opposed to people making minor preparations.  I honestly think for most people here (in the forum, that is), the only effect felt from Irene will be a gentle breeze.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

@Dan: Well, I am jumping from 8.04 (Which I had a disc for) to 10.04, so that's probably part of why it's taking so long

stewartsage

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with preparations.... the problem is the near panic and terror being spread by the media, which is counter to everything you should do for proper emergency management.  Its about calm preparation, not fleeing in terror and boarding up entire cities in fear of a Cat. I storm soon to be a tropical storm.

IanDanKilmaster

@Pentium:
Yeah, that's an upgrade and those take an horrifically long time to complete.  I've managed to complete two in my Ubuntu experiences, but I've generally found the more reliable method is backing up your system and doing a completely fresh install.  You can always restore your files after it's all over, and you don't risk any potential glitches ruining those precious personal files.  The two auto-upgrades (like the one you're doing) I did, didn't have any problems, but I've heard many horror stories about it happening.  Most who use Ubuntu don't really trust the built-in upgrade system (I'm referring to the OS upgrade, not the system update that Synaptic does) because of the risks.  I don't like it because the amount of time it takes, you might as well do a manual upgrade.

@stew:
Once again, I agree.  My gf is terrified of weather since we live in tornado alley, and I generally have to constantly reassure her that the weather reports tend to exaggerate the threat.  Obviously, nature should be treated with some respect (a lesson I learned during Katrina and those hellish tornadoes earlier this year), but not feared to the extent of panic.

Chocofreak13

@irene: what bothers me is that people who aren't even in the blast zone are freaking out. which is dumb. people need to prepare accordingly for what is typical in their area (by "typical" i mean stuff that wouldn't be considered freak weather in their area), so in this case we're tying down the furniture, staying inside and moving the plants and cats inside as well.
on the other side, people should also be prepared for freak weather (except for things as ridiculous as a cat 5 hurricane in regina, canada). for example, when we had that tornado here in june, we were totally unprepared, and as a result half of springfield was torn up. (springfield is roughly 2 hours from here) we should, when possible, earthquake and tornado-proof buildings, or at least have appropriate emergency facilities in place (tornado shelters, etc). while it may not be used often, it's still reassuring to have. :\

@red cross/sexuality: funny thing is, the question i was asked on the red cross questionaire was if i had had contact with a gay male in the past 6 months. 3 months prior, i had made out with my bisexual ex-boyfriend, which i wasn't sure counted as "gay" or "contact". despite my explanations (sp?), they still denied me (even after i had told them i had been given an HIV test on a completely unrelated matter, and turned up negative!!).

as for sexuality, i don't feel any sexuality should be discriminated against, except those in which the other party cannot consent (pedophillia, beastiality, etc). case in point, if a man wants to fuck a lady or a man or himself or both or a tree, i'm good. if he lusts after a 9 year old, lock the bastard away and leak his preferences to the masses. then watch him writhe like the scum he is.

@ubuntu: i've wanted to install linux on a computer for awhile now, but i don't have an appropriate box to install it on. :\ however, i have ubuntu, xubuntu, and mint, so no matter how old the designated box is, i'm prepared. :3

@stew: what's with the date on the new sig? (sorry if it's important, i tend to be forgetful of almost everything in terms of time, i even forgot my own birthday once. ^^; )
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 27, 2011, 06:21:22 PMas for sexuality, i don't feel any sexuality should be discriminated against, except those in which the other party cannot consent (pedophillia, beastiality, etc). case in point, if a man wants to fuck a lady or a man or himself or both or a tree, i'm good. if he lusts after a 9 year old, lock the bastard away and leak his preferences to the masses. then watch him writhe like the scum he is.

Those things you listed aren't sexualities, they're paraphilias/fetishes.

Chocofreak13

close enough. though i have heard pedophillia referred to as a sexuality once (though i think that was just some perv's way of explaining it away).

as for bestiality, that could also be interpreted as "interspecies erotica". :3

EDIT: tonight's dr who episode: my review~
Spoiler: ShowHide
at first i thought this new person was going to be a new companion, which, to be honest, was rather annoying in my opinion (i've grown used to just the doctor, amy and rory, and sometimes river), but once she regenerated, the whole "you named your daughter after your daughter" thing was a funny and surprising twist. combined with the "shut up hitler and get in the closet" made for a very absurd scene, although it was somewhat enhanced or maybe spoiled by the little flirt-fight between the newly-regenerated river and the doctor. initially the whole "poison lipstick" thing was pretty sad, since i didn't really know what was going to happen with that (plus the scene of the little girl amy telling him he's going to die didn't help ><; ), but it was resolved in a lovely manner that helped wrap up a couple loose ends.
i thought the robot of justice thing was unnessacary. helpful, but not nessacary, like the sprig of parsely on a meal. i hope we don't see it again, however, because while it accented this episode, looking back at it it was a little annoying, like an intruder on a private conversation.
i think this episode sends the message that they're not going to find melody before she re-inserts herself into their lives, which is sad but in this respect seems like a key plot element. river's change of heart mid-episode is also pretty sweet. (she DOES have a conscionse!) it's sad how she saves him, but is so beautiful. it speaks volumes about the doctor and river's relationship and their willingness to sacrifice themselves for each other.

i'm looking forward to the next episode, since it looks to have little to do with the major arc. classic who in that respect, and it'll be a bit refreshing to take a break from all the drama. ^^;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Also known as Xenophilia.
Or fucking elves.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 27, 2011, 06:21:22 PM
@stew: what's with the date on the new sig? (sorry if it's important, i tend to be forgetful of almost everything in terms of time, i even forgot my own birthday once. ^^; )

I can't say I rightly know, but the turned over lawn chair in the picture pretty much indicates to me that it's obviously a tongue-in-cheek invoking of post-9/11 imagery.  Can I assume that was when the radio station was shut down, stew?

On a separate note, I love your new avatar, Bella.  I'm pretty sure I should recognize what webcomic it's from, but it looks really funny.

Quote from: NejinOniwa on August 27, 2011, 09:06:24 PM
Also known as Xenophilia.
Or fucking elves.

Oo?

I thought beastiality was zoophilia...

Chocofreak13

lol, two new posts while i was just editing my last one! xD

i think nej was referring to a different sexuality entirely. maybe the mention of screwing trees?

also, i agree, bella's new avatar is nice. ^^ i'd see if the gif avatar i wanted would work, but i just changed my avatar about 3 weeks ago, and i typically like to keep an avatar around for at least 5. (feels too soon. once it doesn't, i'll change it.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Dan: I think that date was the day of the earthquake in his area

NejinOniwa

That's just because we don't have any proper sentient xeno's around, y'now. Basically, Xenophilia is the screwing of anything not of the same species as yourself. Zoophilia is just more specific and less scifi-sounding.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

ahhhh. ok.

so. peach pie. discuss.
click to make it bigger