Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remilia

Quote from: Bella on July 19, 2011, 02:37:58 PM

As a very proud and very vocal libertarian, I am offend. =___________=''

Should probably have mentioned that what I say doesn't necessarily mean that it really is my opinion on something. I know that prohibiting things doesn't make things magically disappear, it generally makes things worse for people involved. Like the alcohol that I mentioned, or prostitution. Or other things that people have strong opinions about.

Nichi

I'm getting tired of the constant flamewars that break out as a result of somebody bringing up which country is superior. Why can't we put aside our differences and keep the peace, at least on this forum?

Dr. Kraus

ENGLAND IS TEH BEST, DON'T BE HAT'N!!!!

Remilia

Well, I'm gonna say that my country sucks.

And your country. And yours too. And y - Actually, the whole planet sucks. I'm gonna hitchhike to another galaxy.

And I should go to sleep.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Remilia on July 19, 2011, 03:56:16 PMI'm gonna hitchhike to another galaxy.

I'll meet you in the restauraunt at the end of the universe.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

I hate how even mentioning ones' country leads to a flame war. /OSC/ desperately needs to learn some social/getting along with others skillz.

For the record: I love America. I love being American. I'd rather die than be forced to leave my country. BUT. I would probably be saying the same thing if I'd been born in England or Sweden or Japan or Canada or any other nation where I would have equal rights, not be discriminated against because of my sex or sexuality or beliefs, be free to do what I want with my body and life, and choose my own religion/non-religion and political system.

Patriotism does not equal believing your nation is "the best". It only means that you feel affection for and pride in your country.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on July 19, 2011, 04:37:54 PMPatriotism does not equal believing your nation is "the best". It only means that you feel affection for and pride in your country.

That's what a lot of people don't understand.  Many in America turn patriotism into a sort of religion.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on July 19, 2011, 04:40:49 PM
Quote from: Bella on July 19, 2011, 04:37:54 PMPatriotism does not equal believing your nation is "the best". It only means that you feel affection for and pride in your country.

That's what a lot of people don't understand.  Many in America turn patriotism into a sort of religion.

You know this because you've lived in America for so lon- oh that's right, you don't live here. Don't make assumptions until you do.

Maybe living in the heavily regionalistic and liberal/libertarian New England has shaded my perceptions, but I've never run into this religion-like patriotism you seem to think is prevalent here.

NejinOniwa

Religion is a thing, ultimately, of three parts.
Faith - belief in things for which proof cannot be found, or truths that cannot be agreed upon.
Devotion - the willingness to act upon this belief, disregarding the fact that its truth cannot be proven - the act, effectively, of casting away the bounds of logic from your decision making.
Zeal - the insistence to cling to this belief, and regardless of what oppression or arguments appear, defend it without having logically valid counterarguments to use in such debate - the act of preserving one's beliefs without further reason than belief itself.

When applied in certain ways, patriotism can surely be regarded as religion. But the same is true for most theories held by mankind - it is ultimately a thing of extreme difficulty to absolutely prove any certain truth.
The only thing that differs religious belief from its common, more academical variety, is that despite the fact that it is regarded as "knowledge" and in effect more of an absolute truth than the former, it is far easier for its proponents to accept its falsehood and whatever new facts that arise to replace it. Or simply, the knowledge that anything you believe to be true might be wrong.

As long as we remain without the double-edged sword of omniscience, this will be the only truth that can never be questioned - the paradox that confirms the paradox. And even then, when can we be certain that we know everything there is to know? Can we ever stop questioning our own "facts"?

I sincerely hope we never do.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Krizonar

Nichi

I don't see religion-like patriotism around here, thankfully

Anyway, this topic sucks and is now about trains. Discuss
I always wanted to say that...

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 19, 2011, 07:04:31 PM
I don't see religion-like patriotism around here, thankfully

Anyway, this topic sucks and is now about trains. Discuss
I always wanted to say that...
I like trains.

NejinOniwa

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on July 19, 2011, 02:48:09 PM
BAN EVERYTHING

Also, Beach trippan tomorrow, MIT on thursday. Takers welcome. Dis week is nice. -w-

I would try to come with, but, alas, no car, no money, no way to get there. I mean, I literally have $200 to my name. This is the money that's coming with my on my trip to DC, and has to hold me over for like, six days. Dinners and lodging aren't an issue since I have friends and family who are going to be providing those, but I do still have to pay for other meals and transportation around the city and what not.

Not to mention the family being away, which complicates things somewhat. -w-;

Quote from: Krizonar on July 19, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
Solipsism.

Discuss.

What's to discus? It's my way of thinking, actually... well, I try not to think about it too much, because when I do I tend to get a bit freaked out, and feel like reality will fall away from me at any moment, and then have to sit in a dark room for a few minutes while my mind resets.

It's actually quite unsettling... >>;;

NejinOniwa

Things would be easier to accomplish if you didn't insta-give up on them, just so you know...and as it stands you are starting to become quite elusive to contact. It annoys me, frankly. -_-
Please ratify this problem. If anything else, I have things to discuss that need a coordinator.