Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

The PSU that comes with that case is likely to be a generic peice of crap.  It will probably fry before it gets anywhere near 500w load.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

Ah, I see, that helps. A card reader would be nice too!

Now, as for power consuming, do you think a 500w PSU is safe to run a graphics card at 450w and a processor at 125w?
Everything I search says that's well within limits, but I want to make sure, don't want it blowing anything.

@Red; hm, I made sure to zoom in on the PSU in the pictures they have and it indeed does say 500w.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Krizonar on June 04, 2011, 03:50:23 PM
Also, wtf is a PS/2 port? The logicboard has two. Or a COM port... for that matter.

;^;
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 04, 2011, 04:21:49 PM
Quote from: Krizonar on June 04, 2011, 03:50:23 PM
Also, wtf is a PS/2 port? The logicboard has two. Or a COM port... for that matter.

;^;
When wind0wz come, me young grasshoppah

Chocofreak13

hmm, good point. still sad that PS/2 is going the way of dial up and floppy disks :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Well, dial-up is probably something we can agree we are happy is gone.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Krizonar on June 04, 2011, 04:17:38 PM
Ah, I see, that helps. A card reader would be nice too!

Now, as for power consuming, do you think a 500w PSU is safe to run a graphics card at 450w and a processor at 125w?
Everything I search says that's well within limits, but I want to make sure, don't want it blowing anything.

@Red; hm, I made sure to zoom in on the PSU in the pictures they have and it indeed does say 500w.

Yes, but just because it says 500w, doen't mean it can cope with 500w.  Crappy PSUs are rated at their wattage level for maximum output period, any more (usually well below the number stated) and they will fry.  Good quality PSUs are rated at their wattage level for continuous output, some can almost double their rated output provided they are robust enough.

Also, if a card says it will consume 450w and a CPU says it will consume 125w, that is at full load with everything cranking out at top speed.  This only happens in high-end gaming, 3D model rendereing or benchmarking.  At idle, and everyday light gaming, the power consumption is much, much lower.

And when referring to PCs, it's "motherboard".  "Logicboards" are only to be found in Macs. :3

Krizonar

Hm, I don't guess there's anyway go tell, either. It says 12v, if that means anything to you.
Looks like I'm going to want a 575w PSU regardless though.

Chocofreak13

i liked the dial up noise.....
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: Krizonar on June 04, 2011, 04:44:11 PM
Hm, I don't guess there's anyway go tell, either. It says 12v, if that means anything to you.
Looks like I'm going to want a 575w PSU regardless though.

That's just part of the internals for the system.  It's irrelevant to the wattage.  The amperage on that thing's +12v rail isn't all that great, either.

Here's a good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Nichi

@Choco: The dial-up sound I always though was cool, and it makes me feel old when I hear it

@Kriz: I would post a link to show you the one I used (Which works pretty good), but they apparently discontinued it; this is the closest one I could find, although it's 50W lower than mine

As for the COM port, which I didn't bring up in my last post, it's more well known as a serial port, and served the same basic function as a USB port. I don't think anybody has made anything that uses that port since the late '90s, so it's nothing important.

Chocofreak13

guys, i hate to be this person, but shouldn't this discussion move to the computer section? cause, y'know, it's about computers?

i wanna post too, but i can't, even though this is topicless. :[
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, we'll wait for Kriz to make a topic over there to continue discussion of the PC he's building.

Anyway, today was a rather dull day; all I did was check stuff online while watching some TV with my sister.

Chocofreak13

me and my mum were running around all day today. we barely managed to get to the strawberry festival, which was today, and even then all we did was enter a couple raffles.
we even missed the book fair at the library. of course, it was our own faults, since it had been going on for 4 days and we just never got there. :\
on the upside, dinner is rather nice, if a little filling. ^^;

(which is too bad, since dessert looks even nicer. ><; )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Also, that former friend of my sister's is trying to stir up some drama over not getting her DVDs back last night; which has lead to most everybody deleting her from their friends lists on Facebook and blocking her (The way she's acting over those DVDs, you'd think it was a matter of life and death that she got them back. I may be protective of my fleet, but at least I'm not that crazy).

On another note, I rerolled my score on geometry again; getting it up to an 8\10 (There's one I somehow got right this time on dumb luck; since I was caught between 2 answers that seemed like they would be right)