Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

The A-Team was a cult 80s TV series which involved a disgraced army unit breaking out of prison before they were executed for a crime they didn't commit, then going around fighting crime and beating up ne'r-do-well's.  With Apache attack helecopters... And tanks...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Also a movie last year.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

That movie was awesome, too; one of the better movies I went to see last year

Bella

I don't *hate* children, I just believe that human beings produce too fukken many of them, and for the wrong (read: selfish) reasons... when we should be going the OTHER way. (Yes, I am one of those LESS PEOPLE = BETTER LIFE proponents.) Add in the obnoxious paradox that humans (generally) are sex-crazed beings whose bodies are primed to literally create as many kids as they can yet people (at least in the modern, developed world) want few-to-no children, meaning we have to come up with all sorts of far-from-foolproof-and-often-side-effect-having ways to suppress our bodies' natural tendency to knock things up/get knocked up.

With this reasoning in mind, I can not - NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST - figure out why anyone would want to actually have kids, nor can I fathom the concept of planned pregnancies. It's just... alien to me... and in my mind, makes less sense than any of the other human drives/behaviors, war, prejudice and killing included. =__=

NejinOniwa

The reasoning isn't easy, but the reason to why humans want family is ezmodo as fuck.

Simply put: IT'S BIOLOGY.
A species ensures its existence by making damn sure that the bloody creatures want to reproduce, from the start 'til the end, and in many different ways - be they sentient or not. Honestly, sentience just adds in a whole slew of additional options of ensuring babies are made.

TL;DR - wanting babies is in the human DNA. In many ways.

Bella

Yes, I got that part, it's a basic drive for survival... just like eating, fighting, wanting to be a part of a social hierarchy and not trusting outsiders/being clannish. But unlike eating - or overeating oneself to extreme obesity, or canibalism in dire cases of hunger - war, xenophobia, blind trust in leaders, even racism or sexism or nationalism so strong that people are willing to kill in the name of their country, I cannot. wrap. my head. around the idea. that people could actually want or be driven to have kids. At all. 

NejinOniwa

And that's why there's a field of research called Sociobiology. -w-

Nichi

Of course, some of us can undergo an equivalent to the Vulcan ritual of Kolinahr to suppress those desires to reproduce
Yeah, I have Star Trek on my mind right now...

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on May 28, 2011, 06:54:31 PM
Of course, some of us can undergo an equivalent to the Vulcan ritual of Kolinahr to suppress those desires to reproduce
Yeah, I have Star Trek on my mind right now...
That's legit what I did when I was younger, hence I have very little to no desire of sex with her.
besides, even if we did, it would probably go like this
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManOfSteelWomanOfKleenex

Nichi

*Follows link Krizonar posted*

*Is now lost in the caves of TV Tropes once more*

NejinOniwa

TVTropes.

There's good stuff there.

Nichi

*Steps back out*

I had almost forgotten how that place was bigger on the inside...

Chocofreak13

i read the page, and resisted the trope walk! >:3 NOT TODAY, TVTROPES!! *ff victory fanfare*

am i seriously the only one here (besides red) who eventually wants kids.....?

the thought of raising a child on a steady diet of white rice and OSC sounds pretty cool to me. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I still say, I wouldn't mind having kids, but I don't actively seek it...not yet, at least; probably whenever I and whoever I marry decide to settle down after many crazy adventures, a young PentiumMMX shall be created...

Chocofreak13

Pentium ver. 2.0. :3
click to make it bigger