Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Speaking of losing things, where have you been wandering about?

As for cooking, I can do lots of stuff but now I'm restrained to the cheapest stuff I can find due to budget constraints ;_;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

You don't even glance at the H-section anymore, do you Nej? -_-;

I'd like to try some Tex-Mex style cooking next, or at least something where I can make my own marinade.  You see, that's my real interest, making sauces.  I'd like to be an amateur saucier, but I rarely get the opportunity to work with the ingredients I need to do it.  It's nothing too original, but I have this idea for a lime and chili BBQ sauce...

@Capt-sama:
How do you make Yakisoba?  I've had the instant, and it'd be awesome to know how make it myself.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

Ah, that's what happened. Well, I figured something like it was the cause...for various reasons.
And I guess I seldom do. Mostly because few interesting things happen there. -.-'

On the foodstuffs topic: Lime and chili bbq sounds like something that could work if done right, but craves careful execution. Most stuff I work with daily is of the type "Throw a bunch of *** and **** together in a frying pan and hope good it's done before the *** is so you don't have to wait", but that's just out of convenience...anyway - if you get around to it, I'd advise you to fucksplurge on the lime, just to make sure the taste prevails (lime does awesome sauce to both fish and meats, but it's necessary to use quite an amount to get balance towards other powerful ingredients like chili).

IanDanKilmaster

Well yeah, that's why lime is a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine, which is incredibly spicy (and would be unbearably so, if not for the lime).  I personally, adore the taste of lime and will have it in just about every form.  Favorite soda flavor, favorite pie, favorite fruit juice, favorite candy, favorite chips (Hint of Lime Tostitos... yummy!), etc.  Anyway, my current plan involves getting molasses, sun-dried tomatoes (in a jar), sun-dried chili, red onion, garlic, and of course, lime juice (preferably straight from the source) and making a sauce of those ingredients.

Chocofreak13

you'd better mail us some.

most of my recent baking came out sub-par (i followed the instructions, why??) but the frosting came out SUPERB. (consistancy of marzipan, but delicious nonetheless.)

before that (since we're on the topic of barbeque) i semi-recently made some boneless spareribs that were lovely, but quite spicy. involved almost a full cup of chili sauce, so it's understandable.......

for all the americans in the room, anyone have any idea how to make the spareribs they have in chinese restaraunts?
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

oh yea. didn't we have a flare-up of cooking talk sometime back in this thread?
click to make it bigger

Xeon

O_o the Capt is back.

Yakisoba is actually extremely easy to make. The only hard part is making the authentic japanese sauce *Mostly Tonkatsu* but you can replace it with Worcestershire sauce *I don't know whats its called in the west* or even oyster sauce added with some rice wine and sugar here and their but it won't taste the same. Or if your a lazy ass you can buy one of those premade sauce at the supermarket.

And yah guyz lost me at Tex-Mex Style cooking.

Them be the Velvets. They are made of Velvets and Megidolaon.

IanDanKilmaster

Quotemost of my recent baking came out sub-par (i followed the instructions, why??)

Recipes'll do that.  I mean, they're good to have as a basic guide, but if you want to do something good, be flexible.  Of course, I'm saying this as if I'm some sort of expert, but I'm only parroting what I was told by someone else.

Quotebefore that (since we're on the topic of barbeque) i semi-recently made some boneless spareribs that were lovely, but quite spicy. involved almost a full cup of chili sauce, so it's understandable.......

I can relate.  No one around me can stand the kind of spice I like in my food.  I added some extra chili pepper to the chili my friend was cooking (while no one was looking, har) - they still won't let me hear the end of it.  What's funny about this is that my tastes aren't even that strong.  I mean, I eat habanero sauce, but I usually stick to the milder peppers (peperoncini, banana, and cherry).

Quotefor all the americans in the room, anyone have any idea how to make the spareribs they have in chinese restaraunts?

The sauce or method of cooking?  I would say it's probably stir-fried with some fruit-based BBQ-style sauce (like apple or pineapple).

Quote...but you can replace it with Worcestershire sauce...

Yeah, we have that, anchovies and soy sauce, right?

Where the hell do you get the noodles?  The only noodles I ever see in the supermarket are Italian.  Just what is in the Japanese sauce?

QuoteAnd yah guyz lost me at Tex-Mex Style cooking.

No need to be lost, it's fairly simple.  Just mostly capsicum mixed with sweet fruits and garlic...

Cockleshell

What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Red-Machine

*massages Cockle's brain*
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Ooh, brains. Yummy. -w-

Cockleshell

my spicy brains, as the capt so lovingly calls them
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

IanDanKilmaster

BRAINS, BRAINS, I won't lie,

I'll drink her brains 'til she's zombified.

Sure she might think it's deranged

But she won't give it a thought

Once I've eaten her brain.

I took yer jerb...

Ultimaninja

Saw Legion for my birthday on friday.
Not bad in my oppinion, but the ending was kinda deus ex...
And again they left it so open ended that it screams sequel...

IanDanKilmaster

Meh, I've been a bit reluctant to see it... the trailer reminds me too much of the The Prophecy.

Of course, I loved The Prophecy, despite the hardcore anvil-dropping at the end.