Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Shit. Dualscreen mode screws this thing up good. I feel somewhat strange in my head.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

Ah dualscreen...The good 'ol days...
Now i have 2 GFX cards and one screen... :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

icerain

The day before yesterday I finished all seven books in Harry Potter.
"Life begins with a disk drive"

NejinOniwa

Mad as a hatter, you are.

I'm listening to Stephen Lynch, though, so I shouldn't say much. ^^

Smokey

Like the Lord of the Rings more...
and, yes the books (all 4 of them, well there are some 17 of 'em :D) are a whole lot better than the movies...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

Tolkien was a pretty cool guy, eh.

VonDaab

Yeah, Tolkien was a pretty cool guy, wrote books and wasn't afraid of anything...

Anyways, I've been searching for some time already for some decent english prints of the tolkien books.
I've got a huge culture gap because I've never read any tolkien books. Well, last time I read a book was probably 4 years ago so...

Smokey

Yeah, i know your problem, most books here are printed in dutch, and Tolkien's books are very hard to translate, especially to dutch, since the translators are idiots here...
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

There are two versions of the Swedish translations. The first, older one, is the one I've read, and it translates much and well, but is somewhat inaccurate on points; the new one translates accurately but sounds stupid, which makes the whole book a waste of time.

Smokey

The problem i have with dutch translations (not only in books btw) is that the translators try too hard to translate everything, even the puns, wich result in literal translations or replacements wich feel out of place and makes it all feel forced...
Thanks Fedora-sama

VonDaab

...the reason why I'm looking for the english print.

Of course there are the Finnish translated ones, but srsly, you can guess the quality.

Smokey

Yeah, i know...
The thing that really ticks me off is that they even translated all of the names!!!
I mean, YOU DON'T TRANSLATE FRIGGIN' NAMES!!!
Thanks Fedora-sama

VonDaab

Yeah you mean the names of places?

Because the fin-translation people decided that Isengard has to be translated, thus it became "rautapiha" which loosely translates to "iron yard" yard in like frontyard or similar.
It just.... sounds so stupid and unfitting.

Smokey

I actually tripped over the translation of Baggins to Balings...
That sounds (to me) like dutch verb balen wich means (something like) to be bummed out...)
Luckily they weren't such idiots to translate  the names of the various places the little Frodo "Bummer" went to...
Thanks Fedora-sama

icerain

Today I had to dance... I hated it. I am also a little sick.
"Life begins with a disk drive"