Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimaninja

I am having an awsome Birthday!
Let's recap:
1. Horde Shirt + other shirts just as cool
2. Samurai Champloo Volume 1
3. Other awsome stuff, that I won't waste your time with.

But where were you ostan-collections?

I wanted a tribute of blood of your enemies, and What did I get!?
Cake, which I love, but that's not the point.

The point is that old people are a myth to scare the young.

Hello!

CaptBrenden

delicious cake! you must eat it!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

For thy B-day, I offer thee Elfen Lied... -v-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_lied

Call me crazy, but I get the impression that you would LOVE this series.  -.-

Exa

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Call me crazy, but I get the impression that you would LOVE this series.  -.-

I AM crazy, and I like this series - it's on my top five!   ;010

And CaptBrenden, you really said the truth! In that case, I'm just not under the effect of GinVirus - it lurks...

NewYinzer

Elfen Lied, it's on the list. As for other stuff, is anyone listening to President Bush's State of the Union? I apologize to the international members, to who this may not apply. Any thoughts?

C-Chan

Anyone remember Katrina anymore?  `v'

zjhentohlauedy

who's katrina? ;026
btw everyone is looking for you in the "Forum Games: What would you do if...?" , C-chan
My my, aren't you lovely~

C-Chan

*sigh*  -v-

Alright, I'm coming....  ^^'

*drags ass over to Forum Games*

Megaman Z

Quote from: "zjhentohlauedy"who's katrina? ;026
not who, what.

see New Orleans.

zjhentohlauedy

oh sorry... i so stupid ;026

very very stupid of me. sorry again ;012

CaptBrenden

what are you talking abotu c-chan, I hear about bloody katrina all the freaking time.  Hell that tsunami that devestated most of indonesia and neighbors was more quickly forgoten about

zjhentohlauedy

i agree. katrina is still being mentioned in a lot of disaster related shows.

CaptBrenden

I guess the tunami ment more to me, as I saw more people killed in it.   Losing your stuff is one thing, but loosing entire familys.. that strikes home harder.. but more people forgot about it quickly.  I never will tho.. I still sometimes get nightmares about seeing the bodys floating in the ocean 25 miles of the coast after they had been floating out there for aweek.  *shutter*

SleepyD

that must have been a terrible sight to see... I can't imagine how that felt.

And to think in the summer of 2005 I wasn't very far from there....
I think the only reason why Katrina got more publicity is because of the economic impact to the US.  But I'm not going to forget the tsunami. Hey, I even wrote a poem back then.

C-Chan

Reason I mentioned it is because it wasn't in State of the Union, as NewYinzer asked.

Naturally the Tsunami, by shear size, range and death toll, was far worse, and the repercussions of that are still felt in their countries to this day.

But it's only common sense that a government of a particular country, and the citizenry of that particular country, should fix their own problems before branching off to fix everyone else's.  

Precisely because of the overwhelming international support for the Tsunami, there was no need for the Katrina disaster to be as deadly as it was -- I can grant you, a lot of US citizens caught in that would've been more than happy to see an aircraft carrier off the shores of New Orleans.

As it so happens, none of that happened -- the response was delayed, private citizen volunteers were turned away, foreign aid and equipment was turned away, people were holed up and treated like "refugees", and tons of horror stories ensued.  The death toll is still unknown as the media has bothered to check that the counting is done right, many parts of the gulf coast have still not been rebuilt, and many thousands of US citizens are still displaced throughout the  US, not necessarily by choice.  Too ignore all this well after a year of the disaster is criminal.

What else is there left to assume than that Katrina was such an embarrassing event (a "3rd world" crisis in the "richest country in the world"), that both the government, the media and the majority of the citizenry prefer to bury their fellow citizens in need than to face some very ugly facts.  Hence the obsession with what happens elsewhere in the world.