Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

@bella: hope peekaboo feels better :[
@hedgemony: i'm on the bandwagon with bella and nej. partially because the times i have heard it said out loud, it was said that way.
@pent: ik how it is, man. gotta conserve what's left for cosplay. >>;

hope people saw the list. ;^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I'll be honest, I never heard the term "hegemony" before now ^_^;;;
</penti_makes_himself_look_like_a_dumbass>

Chocofreak13

no you didn't. it's kind of a weird term. i've only heard it on tv, and only like, 3 times. :\
click to make it bigger

Pitkin

It's not such a weird term in political science or history. Very present, very present indeed. *nod*

Red-Machine

Well, there are several versions of the word depending on the context.  Hegemony being the system, hegemon being the entity itself and hegemonia being the concept.  "Heh-geh-moan-iya" doesn't sound quite right.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: NejinOniwa on March 26, 2012, 07:11:17 PM
I would pronounce it much like the ME3 guys apparently do. He-ge-mow-ny. Referring to a method of government as "hedge money" just sounds silly as hell.

You're right on the money, pardon the expression.  I concur that money you get from your hedge sounds quite silly.

Quote from: Pitkin on March 27, 2012, 02:20:40 AM
It's not such a weird term in political science or history. Very present, very present indeed. *nod*

Indeed, and the fact that I know the word kind of indicates to me that I have invested too much time in such endeavors.  I keep vowing to myself that I will avoid the news whenever possible, but apparently, I'm far too masochistic to adhere to such a worthwhile promise.

Quote from: Red-Machine on March 27, 2012, 03:08:13 AM
Well, there are several versions of the word depending on the context.  Hegemony being the system, hegemon being the entity itself and hegemonia being the concept.  "Heh-geh-moan-iya" doesn't sound quite right.

I get what you mean, but it's not like you have to pronounce them all the same way.  I'm having trouble coming up with a specific example at this hour, but I do know that there are a few other words that I choose to pronounce in a similar fashion.

The Choice of a New Generation.

stewartsage

Nichi

Ok; at least it is something obscure, and not another case of "You didn't know X?" ^_^;;;

Bella

I know what hegemony means ... also, "hedge-monee" sounds like the British pronunciation of the word. Both ways are acceptable according to the dictionary I consulted.

Nichi

So, things got interesting today:

Yesterday, my least favorite aunt was sent to the emergency room. Now, my grandpa is in the hospital, but thankfully, it's nothing too serious with him; after a few tests tonight, the doctor thinks he'll be able to go home tomorrow afternoon :3

Also, I'm cursed with the world's most fucked up internet connection. Literally anywhere in the entirety of the internet will load, except here all of the sudden; I have to leech a neighbor's wifi just to access the site, as suddenly my home connection is incapable of accessing it anymore. I really just want to punch somebody right now over this >:\

IanDanKilmaster

I read about your problem in Forum Feedback, and it sounds to me like you were having DNS issues.  I'd actually have them fairly frequently where I lived before, and still have problems where I am now.  I think it might be related to smaller ISPs that provide DSL.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

Ah. Whatever it was, I got it fixed somehow ^_^

Also, today marks the 1-year anniversary of when I first returned to the OSC, after a nearly 2-year absence. I can has cake? :3

Chocofreak13

@pitkin: i meant it's not a word that usually comes up in conversation. :\
@pent: well, if there's one thing that's american to do, it's complain, which you did, and it worked. AMERICA YAY
also, sorry to hear about all the hospitalizations. my grandparents are actually coming home from florida early because my grandmother is feeling quite sick (that's what she gets for not taking her pills!).
oh, and congrats!! ^^

*doesn't have class on thursday*~
click to make it bigger

Paul

Soo.... since our government is becoming really data hungry (every connection is logged for 6 months at the ISP level), my family and I decided to sign up for a VPN service.
Now all they see is an encrypted connection to a server in Germany... and there's 22 servers available nearly everywhere (US, Canada, China, Amsterdam.... and even in Panama :P

Nichi

@Paul: That's odd :\
At least you have a solution in place to work around it