Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I should probably be sleeping already, yet I can't :S

Nichi

I know the feeling, dude. If all else fails, drink some warm apple cider, or milk if you prefer :3

Bella

Quote from: Paul on February 23, 2012, 06:42:47 PM
I should probably be sleeping already, yet I can't :S

I also know that feeling. It's frustrating, but finding something to distract yourself seems to help, usually I read, draw or listen to music until I'm too tired to stay awake anymore. As Pent mentioned, sometimes a hot drink helps, though I'd recommend some sort of tea ... mint and chamomile seem especially helpful, but most caffeine-free herbal teas will work.

Chocofreak13

heating pad! heating pad! ^^ (always puts me to sleep, regardless of whether or not i want to. :\ )
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Lying awake for 3 hours in my bed, NOTHING WORKS.

Dat feel bro. :/
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

Well, my internet at home is dead for no reason, so I had to go to grandma's office in order to post this >_<
Nothing has been said by our ISP as to what's going on, which has me concerned...but, I will be here for our Changeling game tomorrow; even if it means all I'll get to have for dinner is a bologna sandwich. I can have pizza when I get home

Anyway, while I'm out, I dropped in at a garage sale, and bought something for $5 that I have a feeling will make Bella jealous...and is worthy of extra large text:

I HAS A SELECTRIC!

A Selectric II, to be exact; with 3 extra font wheels. It looks eerily familiar; like I crossed paths with one of these in the past.

The funny thing being that, as I was walking toward the table it was on, my initial thought was "Is that a Selectric?" before I was even close enough to identify it further than being a typewriter. Perhaps Bella's sixth sense for stuff like this has rubbed off on me xD

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Good find Pentium!  The Selectric II is the best kind of Selectric.  Hey, spell check in Firefox recognizes Selectric!

IBM POWER

Nichi

@Everyone: Thanks ^_^

Well, using wifi from next door again to check everything. Still no indication on what's going on :\

Back on the subject of the Selectric, I've run into an issue with it; it seemed to be working fine, although not responding to any key presses...until I hit Enter; when it started typing dashes over and over. I've tried turning it off and back on, but it's stuck typing dashes over and over, so my guess is either:

1: It needs to be cleaned on the inside, as the clutch for the "-" key is jammed. Not sure how to go about this
2: Something was knocked loose between last night (When the people running the sale tested it out) and when I got home with it today
3: He senses Fuuka is in the area, and more importantly, that she's running on Snow Leopard, and is attempting to communicate with her

Also, should I get it working, where would I obtain new ink ribbons for it? It does have one, but it's low

Chocofreak13

you'd have to check what kind of ink ribbon it takes....they still sell them at staples, in various types and sizes. it's where i got one for my olivetti. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

The nearest Staples is 2 cities over, so I'd just check Office Depot and hope for the best :\

Bella

You best locate a professional typewriter repairman, though be warned Selectrics are fairly difficult/expensive to fix due to their complexity. Ofc, working ones are also WORTH a lot, so if you really want to use it it'd be a sound investment. 

I found a Selectric II selling for $50 at a thrift shop, but it was so whacked out that I didn't want to get it and have to sink $100s into fixing it ... I'd rather for fork over a few hundred for a refurbished one in working order when I get the money/opportunity to someday.

Nichi

I only spent $5 on it, so I don't think it's too big of a loss to pour money into repairs. A lot of what I've read points toward it needing to be cleaned, but I think I'll find a repair shop and let them handle it

Chocofreak13

sounds like the best course of action. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on February 24, 2012, 11:22:16 AM
Good find Pentium!  The Selectric II is the best kind of Selectric.  Hey, spell check in Firefox recognizes Selectric!

IBM POWER

You'd be surprised what computer/tech-related names Firefox recognizes... well, Multics is one.