Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: PentiumMMX on February 17, 2012, 12:03:41 AM
So...pretty much you think the only thing that can save us is to become Borg or Cybermen :\

Ehh, I was speaking in the sense of transhumanism, where some sort of beneficial combining of humanity and machinery occurs. Especially since it seems dubious that human beings will naturally evolve any further, advancing through technology seems like it would be the only way to go.

Also, good luck with that Apple II! What version is it? And how much is it going for?

Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on February 17, 2012, 02:06:30 AM
The problem is that humans are a selfish lot, and for the most part, we all seem to be discontent with the idea of self-discipline and moderation lately.

I'd like to think we can rise above our nature and behave like civilized people do, but it seems most people would rather be guided by their egos, lusts, and fears.

No kidding. There are many exceptions, of course, but it sometimes feels like a significant portion of human beings have regressed into some sort of petulant, child-like state, unable to work with others, compromise, plan for the future, think or behave rationally, empathize properly with others or imagine the repercussions of the things they do. And the ones who AREN'T afflicted by this permanent child-state often seem too lazy or spineless to stand up against those adult-children and put them back in their place.

I'm not a greatly spiritual person, but it doesn't surprise me why so many people want to believe in some force wiser and better than humanity. Because humanity sometimes seems like a piss-poor thing to have faith in.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 17, 2012, 12:34:01 PM@bella: no....i only got the chance to wear it once ><; and it disappeared. one of these days i should go through my closet and see if it's there.
for reference, this was the dress, and i had the bell sleeves.

Wow, sorry about it going missing... hopefully you can find it again. : (

Chocofreak13

if i can't, i'd like to find the pattern and try to make a new one. though it's probably just buried under some clothes.

also, this is the smoking jacket i'd like to make for the guys (and potentially me). you don't have to smoke in it, and it looks damn classy. -w-
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on February 17, 2012, 01:01:29 PMEhh, I was speaking in the sense of transhumanism, where some sort of beneficial combining of humanity and machinery occurs. Especially since it seems dubious that human beings will naturally evolve any further, advancing through technology seems like it would be the only way to go.

Ugh, don't even get me started on that.  I can't stand the Borg, or any other species of that nature.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

so....we DON'T support the eventual computer takeover of the world?

"i for one support our new computer overlords."
-Ken Jennings
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on February 17, 2012, 01:23:04 PM
Quote from: Bella on February 17, 2012, 01:01:29 PMEhh, I was speaking in the sense of transhumanism, where some sort of beneficial combining of humanity and machinery occurs. Especially since it seems dubious that human beings will naturally evolve any further, advancing through technology seems like it would be the only way to go.

Ugh, don't even get me started on that.  I can't stand the Borg, or any other species of that nature.

I'm not talking about a Borg-like entity ... I'm talkin' bout immortal-ish (or at least invincible-ish) human beings and superintelligent computers/artificial intelligence that keeps our species from (metaphorically or literally) blowing ourselves to smithereens. As evidenced by thousands years of human fighting, warfare seems to be one of our best-loved yet most destructive pastimes, and I seriously doubt we'll cut it out without a more rational/intelligent force making us cut it out.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 17, 2012, 01:24:38 PM
so....we DON'T support the eventual computer takeover of the world?

"i for one support our new computer overlords."
-Ken Jennings

I support the eventual computer takeover, though I imagine it would be a peaceful thing. I'm going to consider subjugation and slavery as a thoroughly human concept until proven otherwise, and artificial intelligence (hopefully) won't mimic the human mind but something more rational and detached from emotion. -w-

Chocofreak13

indeed. :3

so i keep forgetting to mention, but i baked some cookies the other day. the package said it would make 3 ½ dozen cookies, but i somehow made 10 ½ dozen. for people unfamiliar with that, that's 126 cookies. :\

EDIT: in my wiki walking i found this, it's pretty interesting:
http://www.damninteresting.com/undark-and-the-radium-girls/
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Transhumanism didn't even occur to me.  ^^;  I suppose that's largely because I've been thinking so politically lately.  I wouldn't doubt that the next stage in physical human evolution will be brought on through technological advance.  It's already started to a certain degree.

Quote from: Red-Machine on February 17, 2012, 01:23:04 PM

I am Locutus...

Quote from: Bella on February 17, 2012, 01:57:59 PM
I support the eventual computer takeover, though I imagine it would be a peaceful thing. I'm going to consider subjugation and slavery as a thoroughly human concept until proven otherwise, and artificial intelligence (hopefully) won't mimic the human mind but something more rational and detached from emotion. -w-

I would think humans would make the AIs in their own image, though.  Unless they come from beyond the stars, I'd expect our robot overlords to be burdened by all the same foibles that we are (aside from possibly the mortality and illness).

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

@Bella: It's an Apple IIe, with dual floppy drives, monitor, and software. It was a listing on craigslist saying "make offer", so I shot them an offer of $50 to see what comes of it
Speaking of, no reply yet

@Kari: That jacket looks awesome. I want it :3

NejinOniwa

Nobody conquers the world without me in charge.

NOBODY.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

@pent: i want to make it, even if it's not for me. *w* if i get the patterns, expect me to ask for your measurements.

went to a party for my cousin today, not really sure of the point but i got cake and fruit and candy and to see them, so it was pretty nice. plus i got to get dressed up like a knockout, which is kinda fun. xD

i was hoping to see the borrowers today, but all the theaters in the area aren't playing it; the only ones that are are in mass and the closest one is a half hour away and VERY expensive. ><;;
guess i'll wait for it to come out on dvd. >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Dressed up like a knockout? Wut?

Anyway, I realized my game shelf is demented. I have Katamari Demacy and Metal Gear Solid next to each other xD

NejinOniwa

I SAID NOBODY
NO-FUCKING-BODY
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

don tried to conquer a rock with a jeep on a video game earlier. he kinda failed. :\

@pent: nothing wrong with that. just gonna roll up new weapons. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

I finally got around to watching Blues Brothers in its entirety last night. ^^ 

Pitkin