Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 23, 2011, 09:01:21 PM
Have you ever had one of those days where advice someone gave you a few weeks ago came back to haunt you by taking a dump all over your good mood? Today is one of those days.

All I'll say about what happened is that I'll likely never, ever use anything OCZ anything using the SandForce controller ever again. When Windows 7 crashes so epically that the BSOD crashes trying to make a memory dump, and Fedora can't even find the drive Windows is on when it boots up (On a separate drive, BTW), you know you wasted $275 on a paperweight of a drive >_<

(Made a quick edit, as it seems the problem is widespread across all SSDs using the same exact controller chip)

As much as I love SSD's, I like the good 'ol fashioned HDD's! I still use my IDE HDD's whenever I have the chance, they have all lasted longer than any SATA HDD I own. The closest I ever come to a SDD on my home computers (and work) is if I load up Ubuntu on a USB and use it with a system.

Chocofreak13

don't go chasing waterfalls!
stick to the rivers you're used to!
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I'm currently debating over wither to buy another SSD (One that isn't SandForce based) or stick with a mechanical HDD. After all, aside from it feeling a bit sluggish when loading software or patching Windows 7, the 80GB HDD pulled from TARDIS worked well in 2k ^_^

Krizonar

Using anything but an SSD feels unnaturally slow now.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

[witty response to above post]

So tonight, we celebrate Christmas with my dad's side of the family. I'm making mac & cheese ^_^

Red-Machine

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 23, 2011, 09:01:21 PM
Have you ever had one of those days where advice someone gave you a few weeks ago came back to haunt you by taking a dump all over your good mood? Today is one of those days.

All I'll say about what happened is that I'll likely never, ever use anything OCZ anything using the SandForce controller ever again. When Windows 7 crashes so epically that the BSOD crashes trying to make a memory dump, and Fedora can't even find the drive Windows is on when it boots up (On a separate drive, BTW), you know you wasted $275 on a paperweight of a drive >_<

(Made a quick edit, as it seems the problem is widespread across all SSDs using the same exact controller chip)

Did you try the firmware update?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

Tried it. The Linux-based firmware updater is apparently incompatible with Fedora, but they neglected to say anywhere on their website that it was, say, Ubuntu only >_<

Chocofreak13

@pentium: tonight has been designated "family night", which would be terrible if it weren't for the fact that we're getting chinese. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Sounds nice ^_^
We never do Chinese food, as it makes my mom sick :/

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 24, 2011, 09:30:59 AM
Tried it. The Linux-based firmware updater is apparently incompatible with Fedora, but they neglected to say anywhere on their website that it was, say, Ubuntu only >_<

Say what now?  Why the hell? o.O

Okay... okay... have you tried using a program called alien?  You'll definitely want to check the dependencies before trying to install the program with that, but I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a system-agnostic version of the program :/.  I'd explore all avenues before attempting to convert the program with the program I mentioned earlier.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Bella

Probably gonna go to Christmas Eve service at the Congregational church then out to dinner at the Thai place, aka our Christmas Eve tradition for the last few years.

I have to go out soon and get the fixings for Christmas dinner, too.

Nichi

@Dan: Well, that's just my guess as to what went wrong. The file is there, but it will not run it; double clicking the icon does nothing, attempting to run it in terminal gave a "bad command or file name" error...but the point is moot now, as I'd have to reinstall Fedora. I don't feel like going into more details, except I'm just going to buy a new drive for 2k.

@Bella: Sounds nice ^_^
I'm going to start working on the mac & cheese soon, hoping it doesn't burst into flames; given how things have gone today...

NejinOniwa

Tropped to my pa's parents in morning, ate, discussed the history of medieval Romania, trekked back home, ate, watched the ritualistically repeated bunch of cartoons airing every Eve, did dishes, slept a bit, ACQUIRED OFFERINGS.

The important parts:

1634: The Ram Rebellion by Eric Flint (TIMESKIPPING WVIRGINIANS LANDING IN THE 30 YEARS WAR? BEST SCIFI SERIES EVER)
an ice cream machine (FUCKING YES)
Two pairs of sweeto pants
DEBT REDUCTION (lolollol)
a WHOLE DAY OF OFF-PIST SKIING AT THE PEAKS OF CHAMONIX (apply glasses here)

But to top it off, my sister who's been in Malaysia has visited a tailor...
http://ostan-collections.net/forum/index.php/topic,1198.msg114362.html#new
<3<3<3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

So, I have some of my gifts now. Here's what I got from my parents:

- $10 Applebee's gift card (My sister and bro-in-law also got gift cards of equal amount for the same place, so we're likely going to go there together sometime ^_^)
- A tin of Spam mints (xD)
- A Russel Stover chocolate bar (Nice ^_^)