Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Just got a message from Kari.  She's safe, but the storm knocked out her power and phone lines.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

@Dan: I'll take the awesome pics tomorrow...and hopefully I'll remember to post them before Halloween is over ^_^;

@Red: That's good to hear. Pit asked me earlier if I had heard anything from Kari
Which does make me think that I should give someone on OSC my phone number, so if something like this happened to me, somebody could pass the message along to the rest of the community

SleepyD

all your twitter accounts have been followed.

Also 8 hour engineering exam done. I see math/physics problems when I close my eyes, no joke. ugahh... 

Nichi

So, what's everybody doing for Halloween?

My main plan is, before work, doing all my running while wearing my fedora (Forming a half-assed Linkara cosplay). Tonight after work, I'm likely going to play Luigi's Mansion

IanDanKilmaster

Not really sure I'll be doing anything for Halloween tonight aside from my usual routine.  Might potentially watch a horror movie with my gf, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

@Red:
Thanks for the update, it's nice to know that some of our forum members keep in touch and look out for one another.  I'm very pleased to know that Kari-chan is okay, hopefully we'll see her online again soon.

I wouldn't have such a problem keeping in touch if not for the fact my phone is nearly out of minutes and currently have no way to reliably keep it filled.  I've managed to get GChat to do SMS with certain phones, but I can really never tell when it might work.  In fact, I've only gotten it to work with two phones reliably, one of which was a Straight Talk phone, don't know what network the other was on.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

I have a Straight Talk phone, so I have unlimited everything. It's just a matter of giving my number out

Pitkin

Thanks, Red-Machine, to have brought Choco's message here. It was a bit enerving hearing about the snow chaos in the east coast, and it's nice to know she was fine. :)

Nichi

So, I just got some terrible news today. The local bakery, which has been around nearly as long as the town itself, is shutting down at the end of the year.

What drove this legendary 100+ year old business into shutting down? Wal-Mart. I only wish I was joking, but it's true; everybody goes to the Wal-Mart bakery instead of the iconic family-owned bakery. This really pisses me off; especially because, if anyone from the OSC came here to meet up with me, that would have been one of the places I'd take them to.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: SleepyD on October 30, 2011, 10:09:38 PM
all your twitter accounts have been followed.

Also 8 hour engineering exam done. I see math/physics problems when I close my eyes, no joke. ugahh... 

Why don't I see some more followers on @TechKraus?

@Pen: Sucks, but it just shows how the economy is affecting everyone. If everyone were to just go to that bakery instead of Wal-mart, I'm sure many would be seeing less extra money or more food. You also live in Texas right? the economy out west is pretty bitter and jobs are not popping up left and right over there so you are going to see lower income families, thus with a lower income they need cheaper goods, who offers the goods for the lowest price? Wal-mart. Its pure economics, consumers will ALWAYS go for the cheaper good when it can be or is just as good as the one that costs more. Plus, a bakery couldn't run prices down because everything must be made by hand and cooking materials are VERY expensive (being the son of a pastry chef, I should know.) while Wal-mart can throw money at low cost factories and make sufficient products for cheap so they don't do down under due to; Spend a lot, get no profit or Spend more than what you make (Greece is a good example of this!).

Capitalism has its good sides and its bad sides;
You can have the middle class produce their own product and sell it to get a nice profit but some will start to get big and then you got big business. Big business will monopolize the industry, leaving no competition, no competitiveness thus the economy will start to get too get one sided causing low wages, bad working conditions, and an angry low/middle class. People will catch the Marxist fever and then revolution will start (for the better or the worse, USSR ended in being worse for the workers and the Arab Spring as been pretty good so far).

Man, I wish I could double space this to make it easier to read since a "WALL 'O TEXT" is unappealing   

stewartsage

Consumers won't always go for the cheapest goods...

Also: I guess I've never really taken note of the current economic turmoil.... West Virginia is already considered somewhat down on it's heels what with the mine shut downs, decreases in logging and whatnot.

Nichi

@Kraus: Yeah, I do live in Texas...in a town that's slowly losing it's soul.

@Stew: Exactly. This bakery's prices where always fair (In fact, Wal-Mart's in-store bakery was always more expensive in contrast), but it's a matter of people only sticking with a brand they recognize. It's the reason why a Dell Optiplex is held in higher regard than a ultra high-end custom PC around here, and why locally run pizza places always fail to compete with Pizza Hut and the like

Bella

That sucks Pentium. : (

Though Stew and Kraus are correct, depending on the part of the country you're in, people won't necessarily always go for what's cheapest...

In other news: Yesterday was the 11th anniversary of the shutdown of the last Multics system.

stewartsage

Quick, find a Canadian flag and salute it in remembrance!

Dr. Kraus

No, its a commonwealth. I shall never salute a flag other than Her Majesty The Queen's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuoGOo3Bew

A song I'm addicted to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfNWN6obOa4&feature=related

Nichi

I don't have a Canadian flag, so I'll just go with this
*salutes Multics-tan*

I'm pretty sure I've seen a Multics-tan before; on Bella's dA perhaps...