Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

My first cell phone was a very basic Tracfone for $10 (I loved that phone. I knew that thing inside and out), the 2nd was a slightly more advanced Tracfone that my mom gave me as a Christmas gift (It was my "dumb phone", as it had problems), and the newest one is a Straight Talk phone that cost me $100 (A generic smart phone. It's not Android, iOS, or even Windows Phone. but it works)

So, I got back from having supper with my family, celebrating the fact I passed the GED. That taco I had was damn good...

SleepyD

ehe, thanks all.

I'm basically coding the interface for control systems that control dams and wastewater and traffic lights and whatever.  It's not terribly exciting on the developer end.  (actually kinda frustrating working on old code. MFC apps mostly. and we use Visual SourceSafe *shudders*)

I still really want to work in the aerospace industry.  But at least I can pay my own bills now.  I'll stick around for a number of months. Maybe even a year.  I just don't want to be pigeonholed into doing this kind of work while I'm just trying to get by. I may have a CS minor, but I'm not sure if I'm cut out to be a software developer every day.

Nichi

Well, my mom really likes the truck that dad traded the Dart for, so I think she's wanting to take it and give me her old '88 Ramcharger (Which my dad and I have been driving as of late, since she prefers her '08 Avenger).

If she does go through with this, I won't complain; it's something that has semi-decent gas mileage (Better than the Dart or the van, thankfully), is reliable (It's never let us down), and I have a long history with (I faintly remember riding in a booster seat in it, in a time with Minefield was still in use at my grandpa's hardware store. In other words, we've had it for a very long time).

Which, I'm already putting a much nicer radio in it. Between the CD player and the built-in iPod compatibility of the new one, what more could I want?

IanDanKilmaster

Good for you, Pent.  Seems like things are getting better and better for you :3.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

Thanks ^_^

You know, Dan, you should get a Skype and join the party
We have cookies

IanDanKilmaster

Funny you should mention that, I do have a Skype account, but I haven't used it in awhile.

For a long time, that was my primary means of communication with my gf, but the computer I used it on was pretty old and we both had trouble with getting it to work from time to time, so we switched to WLM.  I don't think I'd mind too much getting back on there, but my gf uninstalled it on her computer and I didn't bring mine with me, so I don't know.  I'm not sure I feel too comfortable using services like that on a computer that's not really mine.  As soon as I do get something worked out, though, I'll be adding that badge to my profile :3 (or I could just add all you guys on there).

Nichi

Sounds good *thumbs up*

IanDanKilmaster

Changing topics, has anyone here ever been taken by surprise by something that suddenly made them hair-pullingly, forehead vein-poppingly, or throw your TV/monitor out the window angry?

I seem to be encountering a lot of that lately.  Not that my current living situation has anything to do with it, as that makes me quite happy and much more level-headed than I've been before.  It's just sometimes certain topics drive me into Lewis Black-level rants, even when I'm completely calm and happy.  I guess the normal response to this should be "it's not worth your energy to be mad about things like that", which is true, but I can't seem to help it sometimes.  Generally it seems to be stuff that's insufferably stupid - like Sony's recent mistakes (that I started a whole separate thread about), or the current state of professional wrestling, or the "deficit", or Joe Quesada (he must die).

Nichi

I've had that over a tiny detail at work; how my boss uses the disinfecting wipes I use. Instead of doing it the right way, as I was trained (Wearing gloves, pulling the wipes through the opening on top of the lid), he rips the lid off, reaches in with bare hands, and never puts the lid back on right; leaving the remaining wipes to dry up and become useless.

I know it's insignificant, but it pisses me off so much...

IanDanKilmaster

Well I wanna say it's his wasted money, but then, on the other hand, what happens when you run out of wipes for the day when he does that?

I'm guessing there's plenty of antiseptic handwash around that can act as backup, but still, sounds like a really annoying (and unhygienic) problem :/.  Isn't that the stereotypical middle management boss, though?  Generally incompetent, but competent enough and/or managing enough competent employees to somehow keep his job?

Chocofreak13

@sleepy: sounds like the problem i almost had with what to go for in terms of my degree; i was going to take a minor in teaching since the comic industry isn't the most reliable profession (plus i've heard that the teaching board in this state will pay off all your college loans if you work for them for 3 years), but since they're eliminating art teaching jobs in high schools, i don't see the point anymore. :3

that said, just make sure to keep your head up and your ear to the ground (keep yourself open and looking for your dream job). :3

@dan: yeah, that happens to me alot. :\ in retrospect, flipping out over not getting to go to the store today isn't very significant, but it still pisses me off since i was going to buy a scallion and more nyquil. ><;;
i also have the problem that people think i'm angry when i'm not. it's really frusterating to have people think you're taking a "tone" when you're not. ><;;
@pentium: kickass! hope you have better luck with this car than the last one. :3

speaking of which, my sister got her car today! her and dad dropped it off at his mechanic so it's not here yet, but it's a red 96' buick with 110k miles (which, given the age, ain't half bad). all the problems with it seem rather small (except the brakes, but that's not too expensive given what it could be), and in 2-3 weeks she'll have my dad paid off so she'll have her own car! i'm so happy for her. ^^

it feels like i didn't get alot done today, even though i did. i cooked, i did laundry, and i sunk a couple hours into some homework. :3

(i should go to bed soon, since i have to get up at 5, lol. ^^; )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Choco: I know the feeling about people assuming you're feeling a certain emotion when you aren't. Everybody IRL who doesn't know me personally always seem to jump to the conclusion that I'm depressed, simply because I'm not going around with a creepy smile on my face

Chocofreak13

you should see the video for 'Black Hole Sun' by Soundgarden. not only is it a classic song, but it seems to describe  the enviroment you live in. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I've seen it before. Not only that, but Black Hole Sun is one of my favorite songs ^_^

Chocofreak13

a classic that was a nice end to the grunge era. -w-
click to make it bigger