Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

NejinOniwa

WRITE MORE, KRAUS.

Unfortunately, I did not write a poem for my dad's birthday to counter with. ^^;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Pitkin

Well said, Dr. Kraus.

Yesterday was quite a heavy day/evening as I realised that my personal trauma from the 9/11 wasn't as healed as I had hoped. Felt really down towards the end of the day and couldn't bring myself to post anything here, and when eventually I went to sleep, I had a dream replaying the television footage of that day.

9/11 remains a day when the post-cold-war western world (and I believe a big part of the rest as well) was shaken, and that shock still exists in the spine of a lot of people. I don't know what else to really say, just that my sincerest thoughts are with the New Yorkers, eastcoasters and Americans in general on that date, no matter the differences of opinion that could occur during the year.

Nichi

On a more positive note, today is the 10th anniversary of when I first got my glasses. I remember fondly of being able to see background details in the shows I watched that I'd never seen before; like how poorly colored the backgrounds where on Jackie Chan Adventures

You know, I should watch more CCS later; to celebrate the occasion

IanDanKilmaster

Hmmm, I haven't played any instruments, but was in high school choir until my senior year.  I tried college choir, but that was a horrible failure.  I did okay the first few weeks, though.  I think I might start trying the mouth harp.

@Bella, Choco:  Belated response, but you were right, Bella, it was that episode.  As for why it upset me - the ending was total BS.  Given the situation, I wasn't necessarily expecting (nor wanting) a lesson on why it's okay to be TS, but the ending did more to set things back than anything else. I don't know if I can do a good job with giving a synopsis of what happened in the episode, but I'll try.  The backstory is this girl in a backwoods southern state meets a guy on the internet from the same backwoods southern state, they fall in love, he gets her pregnant, and they pretty much have a shotgun wedding.  As you can already see, it's a recipe for disaster.  After awhile, the guy reveals to his wife that (she's) actually trangender, and she's been taking hormones to transition.  The wife is pretty accepting, but worried about how this will affect their child.  They then struggle with revealing this to her (the TG's) family, but it turns out they still accept her.  Then they hit a rough patch because the wife is seriously worried about losing her husband and has become increasing frustrated with his feminine self.  They see a therapist, which doesn't really accomplish anything but establish that she wants her husband to wait until their child is 18 before possibly continuing therapy.  Well then she has the baby, and "everything changes".  The TS suddenly decides that it was just a phase and that he's throwing away all the hormones for the sake of the baby.

The thing is, I don't think I would been nearly as pissed off and disappointed as I was if the ending had come off as genuine.  There are plenty of folks for which xdressing and the like is just a phase, but you could really tell this wasn't the case here.  Aside from already taking hormones, you could see in the video towards the very end where she's talking to the camera about how she threw out the hormones and she wasn't depressed anymore, that she really didn't mean it at all.  It was all a put-on to try and make "everyone else" happy.  That either she knew she was denying part of who she was, or that she had lied about even throwing anything out.  It just hurt to watch.  I guess another reason it was such a sore topic for me was the whole baby thing.  I mean, I don't have the problem with children I used to, but just seeing how life has gone for my sister and my cousin, who both have children, the "life changes" bit seems like a bit of hogwash.  Granted, there's a timespan of a few years there that people seem to change, but it doesn't always stick.  There's also the fact that I'm not often fond of pregnant women or young mothers - simply having a fertile womb makes them all-knowing (maybe it's just a precursor to when they get older when they actually are pretty damn smart).  Pardon the rant, that has just really been sticking in my craw lately.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Nichi

@Dan: I'm a firm believer in going with what you feel is right, and not what society dictates to you based on things like gender. Thus, you can count me as one of the people who think that ending was a bunch of BS

IanDanKilmaster

Thanks Pent, it means a lot.  I know I must come off as something like a bible-thumper to anyone who has read me post about this issue before, but it's just one of those issues that as I learn more about it, the more dear it becomes to me.  Now it's especially close to home, for obvious reasons.  Anyway, after this latest rant, and getting all that rage out of my system, I think I'll dial back on that topic for now.  Honestly, if I were anyone else, I'd probably have brained the guy (referring to myself here) being so overbearing about tg issues awhile back.  So thank you for being so understanding :).

NejinOniwa

This unbearable urge to kill things...

Everyone has it, right?

>_>

Dr. Kraus

@Pen: Thank you.
@Choco: Thank you. *bow*
@Paul: Thank you.
@Negi: I could, but that was enough and will remain that way. Maybe I'll write something longer after I complete my Minecraft project which I will post in the Minecraft thread.
@Pitkin: Thanks, I know how you feel.

Chocofreak13

i did alot of cooking today. burnt the rice a bit, but other than that everything turned out alright. :3

@dan: yeah, that's a giant load. :\
@nej: depends on the situation.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on September 12, 2011, 06:18:43 PM
Thanks Pent, it means a lot.  I know I must come off as something like a bible-thumper to anyone who has read me post about this issue before, but it's just one of those issues that as I learn more about it, the more dear it becomes to me.  Now it's especially close to home, for obvious reasons.  Anyway, after this latest rant, and getting all that rage out of my system, I think I'll dial back on that topic for now.  Honestly, if I were anyone else, I'd probably have brained the guy (referring to myself here) being so overbearing about tg issues awhile back.  So thank you for being so understanding :).

No worries, dude.  I'm in a similar boat myself, 'cept I'm not dating her, she's just a close friend.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

@Nej:
Occasionally, yes.  Then I have a listen of
this, and I'm generally feeling better.  Then again, I can listen to
this if I ever want to feed that urge.

@Red:
Much thanks man, and I know what you mean.  I had a few TG friends before meeting my current gf.  You learn a lot that way, really opens up what human psychology is and how different people can be.

Bella

@IDK: Blargh, that episode sounds terrible. For both perpetuating stereotypes that trans people somehow need to be fixed or can eventually be made to "come to their senses", and the misconception that pregnancies and babies change everything and make a person's life magical and happy and fix everything that's wrong~ when it's usually the opposite that happens. >__<;

I'm not exactly shocked, however... the entire TLC/Discovery family of networks have always seemed a bit exploitative to me, especially when it comes to shows concerning gender identity, sexual orientations and unusual (or even usual) sexual practices. :/

NejinOniwa

WHAT IS ACTUALLY THE CHOICE OF STEINS;GATE?

Nichi

@Nejin: Whatever it may be, hopefully it isn't me being sick

Which, on that subject, I'm feeling a bit sick right now. I was fine while at work and throughout most of the afternoon, but then wham; I started feeling sick. I hate it when this happens...