Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 26, 2011, 06:29:50 PMyou don't think manga and anime are 'real' art.

Kari dear, have your vision checked. I wrote that I fear the admissions people at PSU wouldn't accept manga/comic/cartoon-style artwork as "real artwork". Even with a more traditional style of art, I probably wouldn't be able to make it past the auditions; they have fairly stringent standards for who is and isn't accepted into the program. Of course, actual art schools like the one you attend - not weird, backwater, state-run liberal arts universities - are more open to contemporary forms of art democratic with their programs, accepting both traditional studio artists, cartoonists, comic and manga artists, digital artists, etc.

Chocofreak13

you won't know untill you try.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Yeah I kinda do.

Basically, if you aren't a studio artist involved with painting, life-drawing, ceramic design, sculpture or printmaking, you aren't going to make it into the art program there.

Also, i just found out PSU requires 8 credits of foreign language for any BA degree. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Nichi

@Choco: I didn't hurt myself at all, mainly because somebody had already moved the tables by the time I got back up there with something to move them with.

As frustrating as it was, it did save me the trouble of nearly injuring myself...and wasted just enough time to keep me from getting off as early >:3

Chocofreak13

@pentium: heh. better to seem busy than not. xD

@bella: anyone who's willing to give up so easy doesn't belong in the art field. maybe you should consider online college.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 26, 2011, 06:57:14 PM
@bella: anyone who's willing to give up so easy doesn't belong in the art field. maybe you should consider online college.

As I've stated before, there's only one art I'd consider making a career out of or studying at a university level, and that's photography.  I'm sure that, no matter that job I end up with, I'll be using photography to supplement my income - I don't plan on ever profiting off my other arts.

Chocofreak13

then tell your family that, and don't try to define art again. it's too diverse to fit into a single definition.

also, museum program. online college. yes?? :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 26, 2011, 07:16:38 PM
then tell your family that, and don't try to define art again. it's too diverse to fit into a single definition.

also, museum program. online college. yes?? :\

When did I try to define art? I was listing the art programs that PSU offers. >_>

Online colleges are a complete ripoff, you learn half as much at twice the price. No thanks.

Acher13

I'm no good with arts.. I'm just a critics but I do have eyes on whats good.
T^T

stewartsage

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down ladies.  We don't need another crusade about defining abstract quantities.

So a couple of things:

1) I go back to school tomorrow
2) People are crazy panicked about a category two hurricane.
3) I forgot what I was going to put here.

Nichi

@Archer: Become a critic! Set your sights high, and maybe you could be the next Roger Ebert or something

@Stew: I know, right? They're making it out to be like Rita, when I don't think it'll get that bad at all

stewartsage

They keep bringing up the Ash Wednesday Storm, the 1933 Chesapeake–Potomac hurricane, and Yankee Clipper.  Those were all at least upper tier Class 3.

Chocofreak13

@pentium: you shouldn't comment on the hurricane, since you're not getting hit, lol.
that said, i agree, though we're still battening down the hatches. better safe than sorry. :\

@stew: i didn't mean to lose my temper. however, i get frustrated when she sells herself short or gives up so easily. if she wants it, she should fight for it!!
also, good luck in going back to school. ^^ i still have about 2 weeks.

@bella: you may not mean it, but comments like that make me mad. my sister just finished a semester of online college, and will be doing another one soon. her boyfriend is hoping to go in, too. while it doesn't work for all topics, it can help with alot of them.

and you defined art by assuming what they would and wouldn't consider art. is my art any less "arty" than Nymphs and Satyr?

let's change the subject. this won't stop till we do.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Choco: Well, a category 2 hurricane doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Yes, it'll cause damage and some lives may be lost, but I don't think it's going to be another Rita, like they're making it out to be (Which did cut through my hometown, although it had weakened from a category 5 hurricane when it made landfall to a severe thunderstorm by the time it got here).

Still, I may be wrong; meteorology isn't one of my specialties. All that matters is to stay safe, and make sure you have fresh batteries in your Game Boy so you can play Pokémon in the meantime ^_^

stewartsage

By comparison the Great New England Hurricane killed 800 people, destroyed fifty-seven thousand homes, and caused 4.7 billion in damage.  That's not going to happen with Irene; she's only getting weaker.  That being said, the usual precautions aren't too much to be sure.  Though again, it'd be more useful down here on the coast more then New England in all likelihood.