Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

Well, despite my own cynicism, I have to respect your higher expectations.  It truly sucks to be negative all the time, I assure you.  All you can really do is strive for your own greatness and not worry so much about the people around you.  If it is as you say, surely you'll stand as more than just "the outcast", right?

I think you already know that being labeled as different isn't always so bad :3.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

i love being the outcast. it's what i strive for. :3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Negativism isn't that bad!  I live life positively thriving on the hopelessness of the future without actually being consumed by it.

Well 'art' school these days mostly covers the trade side of the field; graphic arts, whatever the hell the call lithography these days, that sort of thing.  That being said some pretty wacky things seem to go on at my BFFs art school in Pennsylvania.

I head back to school in.... two days.  I.... look forward to meeting my new room mate (and probably spending most of my time a few floors up with my freshmen year room mate).

Chocofreak13

good luck stew!

and there's alot of graphic design majors at my school, almost all of which are hipster. i consider graphic art an art, but at the same time it feels like it lacks the passion of, say, fine art or illustration. having all your creativity being directed to the pursuit of making money feels rather empty to me, considering how much i love doing art. alot of the people at my school seem like they're only in art school because they couldn't find anything else to do. not to say they aren't pretty good, but if the artist doesn't have a firey passion, deep enthusiasm and undying love for art, it feels empty. it's as if to say, "why are you here? what do you really want?"

i got the vibe from most of my classmates that they weren't as in love with the art field as i am. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 25, 2011, 11:52:09 PM

That's a good attitude to have, but there's more to going against the grain than simply going against the grain - remember that ;3.

@stewartsage New roommates can be fun, and it's good that you're still hanging out with your old one.  I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but I was friends with my freshman roomie for a good while.  We'd still be most likely, if I had bothered to keep in touch.  He was a really cool and fun guy.

@Choco (again) Well, if they're freshman like you, get used to it.  A lot of first year students are just trying to get a grasp on what it is they want to do with their lives.  Many students just think about something they enjoy doing and go with it, not realizing at the time that maybe it's something better left as a hobby than a professional endeavor.

Chocofreak13

@IDK: i'm going to let your outcast comment slide, since it's been awhile. ^^;

also, i don't think they even enjoyed art.....it was simply something they have a talent for. it's like saying that someone who was forced to learn the piano should make it a career. yes, they're kind of good at it, but that alone shouldn't be a basis for choosing a career. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

:P No, it might've been awhile, but I still remember you, Choco-chan~

I was simply offering some friendly advice.  If it just so happens that being who you are sets you against the crowd, then go with it :3.

I also concur that simply being adept at something is no reason to pursue it as a career, as I've already mentioned, the passion should be there to match it.  Things done with talent and no passion simply lack any real flavor, they're all sizzle and no steak (or is it the other way around?).  In any case, passion always comes through in art, and there is no real art without it.

Anyway, I think I'm calling it a night for now.  I'll try and get on tomorrow, or at least some other time this week :3.  Goodnight.

Bella

Thank you for the advice, Dan; I remember that, a couple of years back when I was angsting about college, you said something similar - it kinda mirrors what I've heard from my family. They seem to have reached the point where they really don't care what I do, ie, go to college or not... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if they've just given up. (Which would be a bad thing, since I've sort of given up too, and I need someone to push me. ><)

I really, really want to go to the university that's near my home, since I'm moving soon and it'll be the first time in my life that i've lived in a brand-new home and one as large as it is. After a lifetime of being packed into leaking, moldy, structurally-unsound little houses like a sardine in a can, it'll be nice to live in a clean, new place and have practically an entire floor to myself... if I end up moving away to go to one of the UNH colleges, I'm back where I started - living in a sardine-tin apartment, having to pay my own bills, in a strange city, one I probably wouldn't even like. (Seriously, i hate southern NH.) Not even touching the fact that i know very little about any of the universities in southern NH; I've been bothering advisers and the admissions people at PSU for years, but UNH is totally foreign to me. -w-

But the thing is...... there is literally nothing I want to study at PSU. They have no museum studies degree or degree option, they have no fine art/photography degree (WHAT THE FUCK PSU?), I know I'm in deep shit when I read the course list and think, "Wow, Humanities doesn't sound that bad!" And I'd totally consider humanities, completely irrelevant and trite as it is, but there's the fact I'd be required to become proficient in a god damned foreign language to graduate. (I have no capacity for language, just so you know. Everything I know about English I learned by being raised in an English-speaking society.) And I'd even consider studying humanities with THAT caveat, but then I'd have to go through life with the dishonor of having a degree in humanities - I would probably gain so many more brownie points with the family/friends/world and become a fuckton more badass and well-suited to life in the real world by just skipping college and becoming a hobo world traveler for the next several years than get a degree in something as sissy-ass as humanities. But, you know, saying "I have practical experience in the real world" won't ever impress an employer - they only want to see a piece of paper that says you've finished college.

People keep telling me, "You like drawing - you draw all the time. You can sit down on the computer for hours straight coloring. Why don't you audition for the art/drawing program?" And a part of me would love to. But another part of me knows that manga/cartoon/comic-style artists are the pariah of the serious art community and that my "portfolio", impressive to my family and friends as it is, wouldn't hold a candle to anyone doing realistic/inspired/intelligent artwork, and that I'd be far less talented than the people around me. I feel way too embarrassed to even talk with anyone in the art admissions department, because I'm sure I'll get lol'd at (or awkward-silenced at) for even mentioning coming from a manga/comic background. :[

Since I'm nearing the point of tears writing all this (and probably sound partially-deranged at this point) I'll just stop here. But it's pretty clear that I can add "Horrible, horrible inadequacy issues" to the interesting little trail-mix of psychological disorders I have. ><

Red-Machine

Art colleges are getting more into the comic scene, so I think you'd do okay.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Step 1: Take any college course/program.
Step 2: Analyze. "How will this help me take over the world?"
Step 3: Evaluate.
Step 4: PROFIT. NO UNKNOWN STEPS REQUIRED.

Also, wb Dan!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 25, 2011, 11:52:09 PM

I don't strive for it, but I'm almost always the outcast because of the things I like. It's the curse of being a nerd in a hole-in-the-wall Texas town

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on August 26, 2011, 03:13:36 AM
Art colleges are getting more into the comic scene, so I think you'd do okay.

But it's not an "art college", it's a stuffy little state university. :/

Nichi

Well, today at work was...ok. A bit frustrating in the morning, because they wanted me to move some really heavy tables by myself, only for somebody else to have already done so by the time I got a big enough cart up there to move it with, but aside from that, it was decent.

Also, I'm feeling really goofy right now

Acher13

Hiya guys, been missing for quite a long time.. some school stuff yeah T^T

also,
Spoiler: ShowHide

What do you look like?

My Results:

...Apathetic-Looking

wait what? but I do have that expression most of the time now

Chocofreak13

.....@bella: *slaps*

my god. you just managed to dump on half of my identity here. you don't think manga and anime are 'real' art. HAVE YOU SEEN A FUCKING MIYAZAKI MOVIE???

i managed to get into art school with a portfolio of mostly 'anime' style work. doodles, comics--one of my entries was a crappy sharpie picture done on the side of a windows ME desktop computer. AND THEY LIKED IT!!!
you know what your issue is? it's not distance, or living conditions, or degrees, it's YOU. YOU are your own saboteur here, because YOU are the only one who can really decide your future. not the college people, not your family, YOU. and if you really wanted this, you'd find a way. as you said, i managed to find more on museum degrees at UNH in 2 minutes than you did in your entire search, AND ALL I DID WAS FRICKEN GOOGLE IT!!!

you said you need someone to give you a push. i'd say that was me, but when it comes down to it, it's all you. i can't force you to do anything you don't already want to do.

(also, they don't care what kind of art you do at my school. me and my friends all plan to be some form of comic artist, and we all made it in--with scholarships!! they care more about dedication than sheer talent. the fact that you're willing to spend hours colouring one pic on the computer speaks volumes about you, regardless of the art in question.)

@pentium: hope you didn't hurt yourself on anything. lifting more than you're supposed to can really mess you up.
@acher: welcome back!! and i think that pic describes most of us here, lol.
click to make it bigger