Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I was visiting my grandma at that time, just watching some movie. Suddenly they interrupted the film and broadcasted a special report. I can't exactly remember what I felt when I saw the planes crashing, but I was utterly disturbed although I don't think I could have perceived the whole scope of the catastrophe then (I was 7 years old at that time)

@Red: I can see some reasons why you would think that way, especially since the US have sometimes acted against their own citizens (MKULTRA, anyone?) but carrying out such a devastating attack that cost so many lives is, in my eyes not only irrational but also just plain evil, war or no war. I don't think even Bush (who AFAIK sees himself as a true patriot) would have had the cold-bloodedness to orchestrate that tragedy. (Just my POV as an outsider)

Nichi

Some random bits I didn't bring up in my previous post:

- In the afternoon, my mom did let me change the channel over to Cartoon Network to watch my usual shows...and my sister and I where annoyed when we saw Mobile Suit Gundam had been cancelled, with roughly 5 episodes left until the finale. But hey, there was still Cardcaptors

- In the weeks after (When normal programming returned), 9/11 and Enron where all they talked about on the news; leading to my young mind deciding that Enron was the terrorist organization that did all that. Ah, childhood...

- To be honest, 9/11 didn't have too much of an effect on me, because it was so far away from where I was, although it was sad that so many died. Now, the explosion of the space shuttle Columbia, regardless of what I may have said at the time, did have an effect on me; mainly because a majority of the debris landed in the outskirts of my hometown, which was probably the last exciting thing that happened here (Before that, it was Robbie Keneval jumping a train in '00)

Chocofreak13

@red: i sincerely doubt we would have orchestrated an attack on our own country, especially one of that magnitude. if we were talking about the 1993 attacks, then i might be inclined to agree (considering the scale was much smaller and thus most people don't  even remember them), but i really don't think we'd have done something like this (besides, i doubt bush would have the mental capacity to do that, lol).

coming from the point of view of a 9-year-old american girl scout, i can say that we all didn't think our country was invincible. powerful, yes, rich and influential, yes, almost badass enough for no one to mess with, yes, but invincible, no.

i remember wondering why they would do that. i knew at the time that our country was a bit of a bully in our foriegn policies (we just HAD to meddle in everyone's business), but i could never understand why they felt the need to do something like that to so many people. people that didn't even have anything to do with foriegn policy. the radacalists were (and are) just kind of......evil.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 22, 2011, 10:00:01 AM
@red: i sincerely doubt we would have orchestrated an attack on our own country, especially one of that magnitude. if we were talking about the 1993 attacks, then i might be inclined to agree (considering the scale was much smaller and thus most people don't  even remember them), but i really don't think we'd have done something like this (besides, i doubt bush would have the mental capacity to do that, lol).

Well, I said either organised or had prior knowledge.  They can't explain the lack of air partols in the time leading up to it, and the Taliban/Al-Qaeda even said they had nothing to do with it to begin with.  Plus a lot of the firemen who went in there said it seemed more like a controlled demolition to them than a general collapse.  Funny how they changed their stories a few months later.

With regards to Pearl Harbour: who the hell can miss a giant carrier battlegroup dangerously close to one of the biggest naval bases in the world?  They again would have had regular air partols that would have spotted something like that easily and in enough time to deal with it.  But no.  Complete and total surprise in broad daylight.  Again, it was a situation where the government needed public support to go to war.  And they definetly got it in both situations.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

fair enough.

and as for the lack of air patrols on 9/11, you just said we thought we were invincible. :3
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Well, in the previous month, there had been over 30. :3
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

maybe they were acting on a bad tip, like when we stormed normandy in WWII and hitler acted on a bad tip as to our location. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on August 22, 2011, 03:21:59 AMI still think it was organised to galvanise the American people to war in the middle east.  Or at least they had prior knowledge of it, like Pearl Habour.  Only three air patrols in the days leading up to the event when the previous year there had been 30 is awfully suspicious.

Oh for christ's sake. You're a 9/11 conspiracist to top things off.

I do believe that the American government may have been warned about "an attack" by foreign intelligence agencies. Given the evidence, it's probably even likely. But I don't think the government knew details about it - at least not enough to stop it, because I think they would have tried to if they were able (like Paul said - I cannot believe that the government would knowingly allow such a devastating attack). And the idea that it was a controlled demolition is absolutely irrational and, frankly, stupid - the people who buy into that conspiracy are on the same level as the wackos who shriek that the Apollo moon landings were faked or AIDS designed in a bioweapons lab as a means of genocide against gays and minorities. It shows poor understanding of scientific evidence and it's insulting.

NejinOniwa

Meanwhile, in a distant NeoN-HNCO laboratory, a demon posts from DELTA with a new PSU. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

svx

Hi, my name is svx
and I'm always slightly off topic  :(

I need halp!

Do any of you happen to have a copy of Kaze no Stigma with Mendoi's subs, a link to a working torrent, etc?  Or, perhaps a link to another non-localizing group's mkvs, as long as they're soft-subbed (AniYoshi sadly is not, and SHS never softsubs TTBOMK!) ?  I has some good raws (they look only slightly upscaled, perhaps not?) that I'd love to patch together.

Been looking for days. :(

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

svx

Thx Nej!  Unfortunately it's the subs that came with the DVD, I think  :(

I haven't checked to see the quality of the translation, but...
I'm guessing they butchered it with American localization, as anime licensees are wont to do :(

I also discovered that Shinsen's subs are pretty localized, too!  I can hear plenty of mistakes.  I think I'll take AniYoshi's subs, type them out by hand, time them by hand, etc, etc.  I can't believe it's so tough to find a fansubbed copy of this series; it was really good by my standards!  A shonen anime that has a plot, a main character that NEVER loses a battle/his resolve/his power/etc, and it wraps itself up really nicely with no loose ends too  :p

I dunno if AniYoshi will want me posting a torrent of my muxing though. Hmm

Chocofreak13

sounds like a good series. if you patch together a good sub of it, could you pass it my way?

so as i'm writing out the full grocery list for each week of meals this semester, i'm finding out that i have a few holes in my plans. sure wish speedy was working right so i could get someone's opinion. :[

(i think i might try to get the wireless card replaced, since it was working earlier today, but now it's down again. ><;

i need a new cooling pad, too. 4/11 blades left. and a reverse networking cable.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, I registered for the GED today, which took longer than expected. I got up there to register at around 2PM, and it wasn't until 4 that everything was finished; because of how much time was taken walking around the campus trying to figure out where to register, only to learn that they don't accept debit cards (This meant my mom had to rush to the nearest bank to get me money, while I was stuck waiting around after filing all the paperwork), and once all was said and done, I finally had everything ready.

I'm dead tired right now from baking out in the heat, but I'm finally ready. September 1 is the day I go take the test, which gives me a little more time to study

@Choco: I found some inexpensive wireless cards that will work with Speedy, if you're interested. I'll just have to get on Asagi to pull up the links again

Chocofreak13

@pentium: good luck with the GED ^^
and i can't replace the card myself. the last time i tried to fix speedy's hardware i fried her. :\ i'm gonna find out if my computer repair guy really went out of business, or if he just moved. :\

however, if any of those are good deals on desktop wireless cards, i'd be interested. biggy could use one, and it might be nice to have one for the downstairs computer, too. :3
click to make it bigger