Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

From what I can tell, it was just an extra wire (not modular power supply) that was in an unfortunate place and me turning it on its side to check out the problem moved it. As nothing appears damaged or hurt at all.

If anything goes dead though, you can bet I'm going to RMA it.

stewartsage

H games?  katawashoujoreleasedate where.

There was a dude visiting the park today in a full on kilt.  It was fucking awesome.  I shook his hand.

Also: Birthday is Tuesday.  Bring sammiches.

Nichi

@Choco: I replaced it because the 80GB HDD was only intended as a temporary thing; to help 2k get up and running much faster so I could play Portal 2 as soon as it came out. I was considering upgrading Asagi to an SSD for added durability, but after this experience, I don't think I'll ever mess with them again; the fact that the 12-year-old old Maxtor HDD in the Yeti still works perfectly, while this barely week old Vertex 3 SSD is already failing, is proof enough.

Anyway, I just got back from my trip. It was a good trip overall; lunch was epic, I found some CDs I wanted over at Hasting's, and I learned that my younger cousins have started watching Doctor Who (They're just starting on Series 3). Now, I'm tired...

Bella

@Stew: Hooray for kilts (I'm surprised more guys don't wear them, trousers are uncomfortable >.>)

And I haven't forgotten your birthday. :3 Actually it's kind of impossible for me to forget, since it's five months to the day after mine. ^^

@Red and Kriz: There is such a thing as Magic Smoke, that's when a computer blows a capacitor but the hardware remains unharmed. That usually only happens in older machines though.

Red-Machine

@Pentium: One bad experience does not equal normality.  It's possible it could just be a driver issue.  Download the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology software from Intel's website and update your chipset drivers.

Either that, or just get them to replace the SSD with another one.  I would be willing to bet money that you'd be happy afterwards.

@Bells: A computer blowing a cap is no laughing matter.  That calls for hardware replacement.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

@Red: Look at this case study:

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2008-12-06-osborne-repair-1.htm

Probably a serious issue on a newer machine, but the old ones apparently used to blow caps and sustain little damage all the time. -w-

Nichi

@Red: It already has the latest firmware, which was a pain in the ass to install because it wouldn't let me do it on my primary drive. Also, I really don't see how Intel drivers would help with an OCZ drive; which, to be honest, I shouldn't have jumped on the bandwagon of a brand I didn't know just because of prerelease hype (Have I learned nothing from the trainwreck that was Diddy Kong Raving DS? Apparently not)

Krizonar

Hm, odd things here, odd things.

System powers up.
Glows blue.
All fans spin.
Cpu and gpu fans spin.
HD can be heard spinning.

plugs into monitor.

Absolutely nothing happens.
Though if you unplug it from monitor, monitor says connection lost.
Thoughts?

Nichi

Maybe try a different monitor cable, or another monitor altogether?

Krizonar

I've tried both a monitor and the TV.

The Monitor recognizes its plugged in (hence why it says 'please check connections' when it comes unplugged), but it doesn't display anything.

Bella

You guys, i hate to be That Person Who Complains about Computers in Topicless.... but we DO have an ENTIRE COMPUTER SUBFORUM where we could discuss this. : /

Could we discuss it there please? 'Cause making Topicless TOO topical is just no fun.

Bella

NejinOniwa

Summer villa approaching in T minus 10 hours. Or so.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Bella on June 18, 2011, 06:44:28 PM
MAY I REFER YOU TO http://ostan-collections.net/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html ???

Pardon me, I posted just a tad behind your post but I will delete that post and move it to the correct topic.

Red-Machine

Quote from: PentiumMMX on June 18, 2011, 06:27:06 PM
@Red: It already has the latest firmware, which was a pain in the ass to install because it wouldn't let me do it on my primary drive. Also, I really don't see how Intel drivers would help with an OCZ drive; which, to be honest, I shouldn't have jumped on the bandwagon of a brand I didn't know just because of prerelease hype (Have I learned nothing from the trainwreck that was Diddy Kong Raving DS? Apparently not)

Intel make the drivers for your chipset.  Intel Rapid Storage Technology software/drivers opstimises the speed of your hard drives and SSDs.  I've heard of people installing it after using generic Windows drivers and they have netted a noticable increase in performance.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!