Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex_Reetz

help my computer changes its text to chinese at will.

Chocofreak13

check language settings?
reboot?
reinstall?
click to make it bigger

Alex_Reetz

using an obscure linux distribution

Chocofreak13

.....check language settings?
reboot?
reinstall?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Switch to a more well-known distro, like Ubuntu or Fedora?

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I shouldn't have got all excited, I think all I did was waste money.
Going to bed because Hawaii tomorrow, with computer not working with unknown cause.

Chocofreak13

:[

rome wasn't built in a day, dude. don't give up yet. (if i can lose half my data and not kill myself, you can build a PC!)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kriz: What seems to be the problem with it? You never know; it could be something simple that even my desktop had problems with at one point

Krizonar

It seems I can't quite figure out where to plug the pwrbtn into on the mb.

Red-Machine

It'll say in the manual.  If not, look at the ins on the motherboard.  From the bottom of the case, the front panel header is usually in the bottom right.  It should say stuff like "PWR" "RST" "SPK" etc next to the pins which tell you where things need to be plugged in.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

I tried that and the power button still didn't work, it was in the manual.

Red-Machine

Make sure you get it the right way round.  There's a positive polarity and negative polarity wire for each cable.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

If checking to see if it's plugged in backwards doesn't help, try unplugging the power button, and then use a flathead screwdriver to short the connection spot. If that turns it on, than there's a problem with the power button

In other news, thanks to last night's escapade, I'll never be able to listen to the Billy Squier song, The Stroke, without thinking about things that can not be unseen...which sucks; I like that song

Chocofreak13

@kriz: often times, the power button and the power LEDs all plug into the same connector. pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to what goes where, and if it doesn't say which number pin syncs up with what plug, then download a schematic of the board (they usually have .PDFs of boards online, just google it) and look in the table of contents on that for the power switch connectors. that should give you specific instructions. :3

so a small portion of my data was left on the computer downstairs. slowly but surely rebuilding my drive (alot of the pictures and some of the other stuff is GONE gone, along with last semester's work). i probably can't recover everything, but i can try to get most of it. ^^
click to make it bigger