Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

So. tired. want. to. sleep.

Nichi

@Kriz: If you need any advice on building it, just ask me. Also, what processor are you going with?

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on June 04, 2011, 07:47:56 AM
@Kriz: If you need any advice on building it, just ask me. Also, what processor are you going with?
That's really kind of you, because I have little experience with PCs, let alone...
AMD processors.

Her current (barely functioning) computer is AMD/ATI based, so I'm going with a 6 core 2.8 GHz Phenom II.

Nichi

That would be good. In fact, I almost went with a dual-core Phenom II when I was looking to build a solid PC for under $500 since I intended on buying all the parts at once, but then I decided to buy it one piece at a time, so I went with a Core i7 instead.

On a unrelated note, that pizza from last night has my stomach messed up. I'm not sure if I want to order from Pizza Hut again after this...

Red-Machine

I've built quite a few in my time, too.  AMDs are usually cheaper than Intel, but keep in mind that when Ivy Bridge comes out they will be three generations behind. (The new Bulldozer platform was designed to compete with pre-Sandy Bridge CPUs...)
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

Seeing as I got a 6 core at 2.8 ghz for $150, yes, I can imagine they are usually cheaper :P

I was going to use a Sandy bridge i3, since it wasn't much more expensive, but that build ended up raising costs around the board too.

I also might be able to lower the price even further if I settled for a HDD that used SATA 2 instead of 3, as anything outside a SSD won't really see any performance boost with SATA 3 anyway...

edit; lol, they're sold out of the sata 2 drives I want, but not the sata 3? wut?

Nichi

Yeah; you'd only really benefit from an SATA 3 drive if it's an SSD.

Speaking of, one thing that's annoyed me is that the SSD I want to get is on sale this weekend for $50 off via a coupon code, but I don't have enough money right now and won't have enough until I get my paycheck in less than a week

Krizonar

And a really fast one at that.

But oh well, I guess I'll keep the sata 3 drive and board because even though I'd save like $30 by downgrading to a sata 2 board, the sata 2 hardrives are actually more expensive because they're sold out of smaller ones. (I don't need a tb, let alone 500 gb, 250 gb ought to do it, she's just going to browse Fanfiction.net and play minecraft, lol)). Besides, as powerful as this machine is going to be, it'll probably last a bit and this board is certified for 6 cores especially, so it's probably worth it.

What SSD are you wanting to get?

Nichi

I'm looking to get a 120GB OCZ Vertex 3, which is on sale this weekend (And there's a coupon code I received in an e-mail that stacks with the current sale; which would save me $50 in total). Now, if only I had enough money in the bank right now for it...

Krizonar

Nice SSD.

Native trim support? Impressive stuff, and I'm sure you'll get it.

Also, I'm having a hard time deciding on a case for this computer.
Wanted one with purple LED (that'd be just funny) but that ain't workin out.

Anyone got any cases they especially like?

Alex_Reetz

burned my hand....call 911

Nichi

I'll probably order that SSD when I get paid Friday; since, aside from my Half-Life 2 save file, I have relocated all my files to Torchwood Three (My external HDD).

As for the case, the Antec Three Hundred isn't too bad; it looks nice and it practically didn't cost me anything (I got it in a package deal with an OEM edition of Windows 7 Professional; which was $100 less than buying the retail version of Windows by itself)

Paul

Anyone here interested in a halfway decent SGI Octane? (2x350 MHz R12K Cpu, ESSI/ESI gfx, 2G ram, PCI cage, skins in almost excellent condition, IRIX 6.5.29)
I'm gonna need a little money and will probably sell it since I don't really use it... :/

I think shipping to anywhere except Europe would be a little expensive though... thing is heavy.

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on June 04, 2011, 01:09:54 PM
As for the case, the Antec Three Hundred isn't too bad; it looks nice and it practically didn't cost me anything (I got it in a package deal with an OEM edition of Windows 7 Professional; which was $100 less than buying the retail version of Windows by itself)
I already pirated Windows 7 long ago, so that's also helping me keep costs down, I don't have to buy it. (actually, I pirated it 3 times, I have the basic, home premium and ultimate versions).

I ended up going with this case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156259
It looks sexy, has a side window, glows blue and has a built in power supply of 500 watts, 50 over what is recommended on the graphics card I chose. If I'm reading it right, it can mount 4 DVD drives, too.

I... have no idea what an external 3.5 drive bay is for, though.

Also, wtf is a PS/2 port? The logicboard has two. Or a COM port... for that matter.

@Paul; yeah, shipping across the Atlantic can cost over $100 for stuff like that, it's pretty expensive.

Nichi

To give you a quick rundown:

- The PS/2 port is typically used for keyboards and mice, although they've started phasing it out in favor of USB over the past few years. It's similar to the ADB port found on older Macs

- The external 3.5-inch bay can be used to mount an SD card reader or something of that sort, unless you really think she needs a floppy drive