The age of an Os-tan

Started by Pizza354, August 11, 2007, 10:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pizza354

these are just guesses, not the exact ages.

95-tan: 21

Hacchan: 13

Secchan: 12

ME-tan: 15

2k-tan: 18

Saseko: 17

Homeko: 18

Moseko: 18

Vistan(ninja): 6

3.1-tan: 8

NT-tan: 35

OS9-tan: 17
The Thing, a member of the Fantastic Four, is a gifted superhero. Yet, it\'s hard to look at him how he\'s wearing them..."underwears" I\'m not scared, it\'s just...wrong ;014

Aurora Borealis

I think that their age is how many months or years ago the OS they represent was first released. I'd say your guesses are more like appearant ages as out of the girls you listed, 3.1-tan is actually the oldest!

However that'd mean that Vistan would only be about 7 months old but usually looks grown up and I've seen baby pictures of some of the other OS-tans and even then they probably grow up really fast!

Silentbob

Quote from: "Pizza354"these are just guesses, not the exact ages.

Would that be dog years?   :p

Pizza354

Quote from: "Silentbob"

no sir, NT-tan in dog years would be 2-3 yrs old.

I don't think the age is the OS represented when it was first released.
The Thing, a member of the Fantastic Four, is a gifted superhero. Yet, it\'s hard to look at him how he\'s wearing them..."underwears" I\'m not scared, it\'s just...wrong ;014

Darknight_88

Quote from: "Pizza354"

Moseko?

Quote from: "Silentbob"

no sir, NT-tan in dog years would be 2-3 yrs old.

I don't think the age is the OS represented when it was first released.

Inu-T? seems reasonable. 35 years old NT-tan seems ok too.

About the age, this list is only for the OS-tans looks. And for most of the cases, that's all that matters.
The actual age of the OS doesn't really matter, except for a few comics when they point out that despite the looks, some OS-tans are "older" than others (like 98-tan pointing out that ME-tan is treating her like a child, while 98 is older than her).

nice list.

also....SHE IS NOT SASEKO!!! ;_;
seriously, cut it out ;_;

Pizza354

Quote from: "Darknight_88"

Moseko?

also....SHE IS NOT SASEKO!!! ;_;

Moseko's the nickname of XPMCE-tan(look in the picture gallery)

I didn't put Saseko intentionally, I never knew it meant "whore" until now.

Bella

Ages are a tough one to figure out...

Because the "physical" age of an OS-tan usually doesn't match with the "real" OS age, or the "mental" age...

IE, Take MSDOS-tan. Though she's the oldest MS OS-tan, she's actually shown as being the youngest, physically (her body type looks like a young girl)...

I almost think of an OS-tan as a frozen picture of their age, at the time of their "creation", if this makes any sense (like a robot or something, even though I don't think the OS-tans are robots!)

In simple terms, I usually think that the OS-tans are as old as their OS's release date, in human time. I think an OS's "mental" age is as old as their OS's release date.

But since OS-tans are not "humans", they age on a different time scale.

And I think their "physical" age depends on the size of the OS itself, IE, MSDOS and the DOS-tans, which are use (relatively) not much RAM, HD, etc, are very girlish...whereas the modern OS-tans, like the Mac OSX-tans and the Windows-tans, are much more "curvy" and developed.

In closing of this long, non-canon, half-baked speech, I guess I should say I don't think we can pin down the actual age of any given OS-tan. XP pro-san, and XP home-san, for example, I think, would be 6 years old in human years (and twins, since both were released on the same date), but maybe in their late teens/early 20s in OS-tan years.

Whereas the non-canon Unix-sama would be 38 years old in human years, but her body is that of a ten or twelve year old, and her intelligence that much beyond that a 38-year-old (because in OS time, Unix is older than the hills XD)...

Whew...

*wanders off to go take an nap*

C-Chan

Yo Pizza the Hut-san!  ^v^
Even though I too focus primarily on an OS' real age, I've always been interested in what their physical ages could be established as (for design purposes0.  ^.^

In that sense the list is pretty good, although I vouch for increasing Hacchan/Secchan a year (14, 13 respectively), same with ME-tan (16, the universal constant in Anime).  3.1-sama always struck me as the late preadolescent-type, so I'd lobby for anywhere between 9 and 12 instead.  Sonata-san's age sounds about right, although I reckon Mac-tan would be the exact same age as well.  

As for NT-tan....

QuoteWould that be dog years?

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing.  ^.^
I'm sure you meant NT-san as opposed to everyone's favorite Inu-T.  Even so, NT-san does look like the young mother type, so 20's range sounds about right (25?).

QuoteI don't think the age is the OS represented when it was first released.

I should note that we deal with a lot of new OS-tans that are firmly-based in -- from the perspective of a modern Windows user -- antiquity.

Bella-san actually touched on many of these points, but I'll just reiterate them since I don't feel like deleting this all and starting over.  ^.^;

MS-DOS-tan and PC-DOS-tan are physically 7-8 years old, but ALMOST as old as the Microsoft company itself.  ^___^
Miggy-san (aka, AmigaOS) is in actuality 22 years old to date, and since that's a good age for a fine wine beauty like her, I've pegged her physical age to her real one.

And while Bell Labs UNIX-sama is physically 13-14 years old, her system side is close to 40.  If the mother of all modern operating systems started acting like a petulent preteen rather than a mature, wise and powerful matriarch, we'd be so doomed we'd might as well slit our wrists with a piece of parsley and get it over with..... ^.^;

QuoteMoseko?

Windows MCE,... I forgot who here scouted that name out over in the Futaba collection, but I went to check myself and confirmed it.  

Speaking of which, I sorta but not really miss my Windows MCE install.... -v-
Certainly not after that viscious fright she gave me when I first booted up my Acer -- yeah, I can tell she was trying to no avail to coerce me into buying that warranty, but like hell I would.... ^.^

Quotealso....SHE IS NOT SASEKO!!! ;_;

You make me wonder if you've ever taken care of kids before, successfully anyway.  ^____^
If you want something done........... it's counterproductive to tell people not to do it and certainly in such a vehement manner.  Cause if it gets you so riled up, you'll just get them curious, or if (like me) they enjoy messing with you, you'll just get them to do it more.  

If you want opinions to change, you have to refine the fine art of subtlety.  Making the elimination of Saseko inviting to people.  Study and learn about their interests, and use that knowledge to negotiate a pact of mutual respect and understanding.  Use your talents to unleash a marketing campaign of sorts to improve her branding within this forum. -v-

Till then, I'm just gonna love how that sounds on so many levels.  ^_________________________^

*grins*

I'm bored, so I'm gonna go spend the evening with my Saseko.... ^.^

*loads up C&C3*

QuoteI almost think of an OS-tan as a frozen picture of their age, at the time of their "creation", if this makes any sense (like a robot or something, even though I don't think the OS-tans are robots!)

Curiously, some of us do actually age our OS-tans depending on their releases.  OS/2-tan for example, has run the whole spectrum of ages, from her youth during IBM/Microsoft partnership betas, to her market release shortly after the breakup, then to her Warp years and beyond.  Course, this was a decision I and others made based on convenience, since there's way too many releases to create an individual OS-tan for each one.

Windows 3.0 and 3.1 are technically two VERY different OSes, but like hell I'd make a 3.0-tan, so I figure why not cop out and make her a young 3.1-sama?  ^___^

QuoteAnd I think their "physical" age depends on the size of the OS itself, IE, MSDOS and the DOS-tans, which are use (relatively) not much RAM, HD, etc, are very girlish...whereas the modern OS-tans, like the Mac OSX-tans and the Windows-tans, are much more "curvy" and developed.

Yep, that's my basic premise as well, certainly more importantly than RAM/breast size.  ^__^
That's also the reason why UNIX-sama looks as young as she is, since (as UNICS) she was technically quite simplistic in her day.   All the computer technicians of her era predicted that the superior MULTICS would lead the wave of the future... and thank GAWD that wasn't the case, cause it takes rocket science to figure out what the hell Multicians feed into those enormous mainframes.... ^^;

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"

You make me wonder if you've ever taken care of kids before, successfully anyway.  ^____^
If you want something done........... it's counterproductive to tell people not to do it and certainly in such a vehement manner.  Cause if it gets you so riled up, you'll just get them curious, or if (like me) they enjoy messing with you, you'll just get them to do it more.  

If you want opinions to change, you have to refine the fine art of subtlety.  Making the elimination of Saseko inviting to people.  Study and learn about their interests, and use that knowledge to negotiate a pact of mutual respect and understanding.  Use your talents to unleash a marketing campaign of sorts to improve her branding within this forum. -v-

Till then, I'm just gonna love how that sounds on so many levels.  ^_________________________^

*grins*

*loads up C&C3*
well, I'm not trying to change anyones ideology. I'm just letting them know what does Saseko means (yeah, I expected Pizza to read that other thread. He was up to my expectations :D). Someone who really cares for XP-tan will stop calling her Saseko. If they want to keep calling her like that, fine. I wont bother.

Also...the pig using XP?! I thought Linux and Wine was the oh-all-mighty solution... ^__^

also, yeah, I have taken care of kids before. It's not that hard ^_^

Quote from: "bella"And I think their "physical" age depends on the size of the OS itself, IE, MSDOS and the DOS-tans, which are use (relatively) not much RAM, HD, etc, are very girlish...whereas the modern OS-tans, like the Mac OSX-tans and the Windows-tans, are much more "curvy" and developed.
Actually, that doesn't apply for all the OS-tans
We have 95-tan & NT , and then the 98's and ME. Both ME and the 98's have slightly larger requirements than 95 or NT,  but they look  younger than 95 or NT (not Inu-T).

After thinking about it, it's a moot point to find a rule to the way OS-tans are aged. It's the same as with the "breast size = RAM": It depends on the artist desire.

NejinOniwa

Hooo~
Somehow I've always related the age of OS-Tans to how "Evolved" the OS they represent are - not correct in some of the cases, but still. And yes, being "bloated" does have to do with this...

(tsuman, nejin has had too much jetlag and sunburns lately to be sane... ^-^;)
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

windowsgirl

actually DOS/V is the oldest. but umm its very hard to tell the ages. heres mine:
Windows. 3.1: 10
Windows 95: 29
Windows 98: 13
Windows 98SE: 13
Windows XP: 15
Windows 2k: 18
Windows Me: 15
Windows XP Home: 15
Windows XPMCE: 15
Windows Vista: 10
Windows Vista(schoolgirl): 9
Windows NT: 38
I ignored the dates when they came out, but I thought of pictures.
Neptune: the OS that never was

Kami-Tux

That's also the reason why UNIX-sama looks as young as she is, since (as UNICS) she was technically quite simplistic in her day.   All the computer technicians of her era predicted that the superior MULTICS would lead the wave of the future... and thank GAWD that wasn't the case, cause it takes rocket science to figure out what the hell Multicians feed into those enormous mainframes.... ^^;

Indeed... UNICS _was_ very simple... did you know that the first versions only could handle 2 users?

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

xonomech

i concord whit windowsgirl
----Xonomech Xeno Mecha----

Bella

Quoteindeed... UNICS _was_ very simple... did you know that the first versions only could handle 2 users?

*shuffles in*

Multics could only handle, quote, "only 1/3 of a user at first". Nobody's perfect :P

*shuffles out*

sildias

Quote from: "Darknight_88"

*grins*

*loads up C&C3*
well, I'm not trying to change anyones ideology. I'm just letting them know what does Saseko means (yeah, I expected Pizza to read that other thread. He was up to my expectations :D). Someone who really cares for XP-tan will stop calling her Saseko. If they want to keep calling her like that, fine. I wont bother.

Also...the pig using XP?! I thought Linux and Wine was the oh-all-mighty solution... ^__^

also, yeah, I have taken care of kids before. It's not that hard ^_^

Quote from: "bella"And I think their "physical" age depends on the size of the OS itself, IE, MSDOS and the DOS-tans, which are use (relatively) not much RAM, HD, etc, are very girlish...whereas the modern OS-tans, like the Mac OSX-tans and the Windows-tans, are much more "curvy" and developed.
Actually, that doesn't apply for all the OS-tans
We have 95-tan & NT , and then the 98's and ME. Both ME and the 98's have slightly larger requirements than 95 or NT,  but they look  younger than 95 or NT (not Inu-T).

After thinking about it, it's a moot point to find a rule to the way OS-tans are aged. It's the same as with the "breast size = RAM": It depends on the artist desire.

Agree with Darknight_88.. The first girl i 'met' among the OS-Tans is XP-Tan, so she's kinda special for me.. not only because i'm still using XP at my home.. Until sometime i don't understand why did she got that s****o title.. Eventhough now i understand the reason why, still to me it's hurt when she's called like that T_T ..

Ow, sorry.. it's almost out of topics ;P  About the age of the OS-Tans.. well.. for me it doesn't really matter.. because let's say 10 years later from now on.. i think their physical image will be still like now..  (speaking of immortality)