Project WIKI

Started by NewYinzer, November 07, 2006, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiso

Hmm... after looking through some articles in the wiki, I thought that character personifications should be separated by the place of origin, as in, the site that it first appeared. This could go as:

'Appearance'
''Futaba''
''Nijiura''
''OS-Tan Collections''
''Other People''

At least that way, people can know which group of people have adopted which versions of the tans. However, if there is only one globally accepted version, then it should be only one.

Well... that's as much as I could think up to this time. Guess I need more time to really get my mind running on wiki mode... been a while since I worked with wiki stuff.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

C-Chan

Originally back when it was the OS-tan Wiki, it was our goal to get various OS-tan categorization schemes, including by Alpha Order, History, and possibly even places of origin.

Now that it's just exclusively an OS-tan Collections Wiki, there's a lot less of a pressing need to break it out as such -- certainly not before at least 80% of the articles are drafted up.  All the OS-tans featured (and being continuously added) are OS-tans that we personally have adopted for our own purposes, regardless of their perception on the image boards.  Only the list of "canon" OS-tans can be safely considered halfway-"globally accepted" -- but there is no longer such a coopartive spirit among OS-tan artists (and hence no "offical" anything) when it comes to OS-tans created after the original Troubled Windows group.  That's why you see so many millions of Longhorn and Vistan designs, but only one ME-tan.

Besides, there are instances where the origin of a design may not be entirely clear-cut, so you'd have a disproportionate number of "Other People", and an unfairly HUGE "OS-tan Collections" grouping.  Given the likelihood of just having only 4 major categories, one would have to wonder why bother when the info boxes already indicate where each OS-tan first appeared.

Then again, it's not called a Wiki for nothing.  A user is free to add what he/she deems is necessary.  ^^

Kiso

QuoteOriginally back when it was the OS-tan Wiki, it was our goal to get various OS-tan categorization schemes, including by Alpha Order, History, and possibly even places of origin.

Hmm... I think I may have been a bit less specific that I thought. I tried to suggest that for being done within the character articles themselves... as in... make mention of the popular designs that have been made by people.

Of course, most of those will be traced back to either Futaba and/or Nijiura historically. If we ever wanted the 'tans to have such info as their date and place of Origin, all we need to do is direct people from Futaba and Nijiura to the wiki or ask for them to send info with proof of facts and the info would likely be updated. A last alternative is to make research ourselves and give the credit to the oldest dated image available. At least that way only the more popular designs known will be the ones to make the cut into the article.

QuoteThen again, it's not called a Wiki for nothing. A user is free to add what he/she deems is necessary. ^^

Uhm... actually, I just wanted to see what were your thoughts on my suggestions for setting some writing standards. On my behalf I guess those were merely thoughts.

- - - --- -- - -- --- - - -

I also have a suggestion for the infobox, but I am not really sure of posting it right now... --__--
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

C-Chan

You won't know unless you try.  

Go ahead, let me hear your thoughts.  -v-

Kiso

You'll have to wait until I stop toying with the idea... sounds less complicated (and becomes way much easier to understand) if actually see it for yourself instead of being it explained.

C-Chan

Aa sou,....

That would explain all the recent activity at the Wiki.  `v'

Kiso

Yep... The Kiss is messing with a template code and is testing things out before letting it up for proposal... don't want it blowin' up something.

C-Chan

Bet you're saving the best stuff for last, though, cause so far it looks only slightly improved from our current info boxes.  ^^

Wonder what goodies you have in store in that ol' noggin  `v'

*starts poking and probing Kissu-san for information leaks*

Aurora Borealis

Nice job with the new infobox!

And I know who created XP Pro-tan! (you were asking on the userbox page, using her as an example)

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Queen/5472/copyright.html

XP Pro-tan was created by XP-kakiaki, who also created Norton-kun, Buster-kun, and MS DOS-tan in 2004! On another interesting note, MS DOS-tan originally just represented the DOS prompt (I can tell because on the picture on that page, her armband says "prompt")!

C-Chan

QuoteThis template is meant to reduce effort in the construction of tables and give all people the ability to fill out the infobox quite easily and without hassle. all you need to do is copy the following code and paste it at the beginning of the article you want to create/modify/whatever.

There we go.  ^__^

*pops champagne bottle*

Oh and thanks for digging that stuff up, Aurora-hime.  ^^

Kiso

All... I... have... in... mind... is...

Templates!!!!!

Well... at least right now that is.

Yes, I am going to make that template grow... as well as creating new others to help meet the needs of the wiki.

Oh and... why is it that you still haven't created an OSC mascot?

Aaaanywaaaays... back on topic...

I will expand on that template... or create new ones to make due for them.

My goals to meet:
--| Have a template that tells the difference between OS-tan, Software-tan, Error-tans, Console-tans, Viru-tans... among others.

--| Have a "Claim it!/Help-us!" template to place in the foot note section in order to find the origins of a character.

--| Have all possible articles updated to have the templates.

--| Create wiki articles for the FOSA project.

--| Update the Vistan Article to include more variantions, the ones available are rather not on par with the amount of popular versions available.

--| Try and make outsiders come and help get as much info up to date as possible (via e-mail or something).

--| Create a "sandbox" article to help set a good article format.

C-Chan

QuoteAll... I... have... in... mind... is...

Templates!!!!!

Good,... I'll call you the "Templater" going forward.  ^_____^

QuoteOh and... why is it that you still haven't created an OSC mascot?

Long story,...

Summed into one line....

"-tan overload."  @@;

Quote--| Have a template that tells the difference between OS-tan, Software-tan, Error-tans, Console-tans, Viru-tans... among others.

Aaaah-ha! yes, the last couple of ones we need desperately.  Gus-san improved a little on the virus info boxes, but that could use some standardization.  APPROVE

Quote--| Have a "Claim it!/Help-us!" template to place in the foot note section in order to find the origins of a character.

Assuming anyone will read it,... yeah sure, why not?  APPROVE.  ^^

Quote--| Have all possible articles updated to have the templates.

Would be a great opportunity to add those much needed stubs.  APPROVE.

Quote--| Create wiki articles for the FOSA project.

Ehhhhh,... I'd hold off on that for now.  Let's focus on populating character profiles first.
Plus I still need to edit the Introduction Page -- stopped at only about 20% editing, and a lot of it still leftovers from the old Wikipedia page.

Quote--| Update the Vistan Article to include more variantions, the ones available are rather not on par with the amount of popular versions available.

Oh yeah, you're gonna love doing Wiki editing!  Considering the millions of varieties of Vistan designs out there, populating the Vista page is practically a job in itself!  APPROVE!  ^___^

Quote--| Try and make outsiders come and help get as much info up to date as possible (via e-mail or something).

Only among registered members, mind you.  This is still a private Wiki, and don't want outsiders to consider such notices as spam.

Quote--| Create a "sandbox" article to help set a good article format.

Fedora-Tan's original Wiki site had such a thing, but sadly the new Wikimedia format does not.  Still, this does seem like something up your alley -- if the quality of your documentation is as good as what you showed me in the FOSA thread.  APPROVE.

Okay, go forth and conquer!  I'll join up maybe later on for some stubbing.  ^^

Bella

Great ideas, Kiso! I especially like the template idea...

Kiso

Guess that's what happens when you get too much free time at college. To think I pulled that template off with only one hour-worth of wiki-code knowledge... good thing that tese guys have HTML compatibility... I have got to love them for it... but I hate them because I can't seem to work out the cellpadding and spacing to be just one thin line... and don't get me started on wanting to change the coloring of the borders.

Still I will hope to do a lot of this stuff as I come with time... whichi Ironically tomorrow is one of those times... no classes on Wednesdays, wooo!!

In any case... I will continue to deal with wiki-code to help improve the template as a mechanic would go and put a turbocharger into a car. *stolen words from his brother cause he has no car knowledge other than brand names and models*

*comes back to add*

Hmmm... now that I think about it... between Nijiura, Futaba, and my overactive imagination... I think the Vistan arcticle will be the largest of all the wiki articles. But worry not... I will try to also put up info on the characters... that means I will probably add some section like 'Kiso's Perception' within the articles... or maybe simply get to more compromising conclusions and have a collective thought on things...

Though... I think I managed to be quite accurate in presenting the (probably) true Vistan personalities. Still, might change one or two to be the bit of more unique.

C-Chan

As far as I can see, the new OS-tan info box template is well-written and polished, and does serve it's purpose of being easier to use.  

Course, like I said to you before last week, try not to spend too much of your surplus free time doing this, certainly not when you can use the time to grow in other ways.  Even though we have the most to gain from having someone like you do all the heavy-lifting, truth is the Wiki is slightly more of a curiosity than an asset.  That pretty much sums up why it hasn't been finished, even though it's been nearly a year since NewYinzer thought it up.

QuoteHmmm... now that I think about it... between Nijiura, Futaba, and my overactive imagination... I think the Vistan arcticle will be the largest of all the wiki articles. But worry not... I will try to also put up info on the characters... that means I will probably add some section like 'Kiso's Perception' within the articles... or maybe simply get to more compromising conclusions and have a collective thought on things...

Putting an "editor's thoughts" is a pretty common practice in our wiki, so yeah I would use that whenever you want to add personal thoughts on a Vistan in question -- and is all but indispensable when you're discussing your own variations.