Project WIKI

Started by NewYinzer, November 07, 2006, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icelilly

Okay! ^__^
I shall get to it! *eats lunch in the process*

Bella

I'd help out with the wiki, but, I think I'm more into the "speculative" OS-tans...that aren't even close to canon by a long shot.

Plus I suck at any HTML editing ( yeah, even Mediawiki stuff : | )

But I do have a few ideas about the personalities for Juzo-kun's Linux-tans, especially Ubuntu-tan, Slackware-tan, and Archlinux-tan (if they aren't to speculative...)

C-Chan

I wouldn't sweat that.  Basically, as long as we're keeping this Wiki in house and local, we shouldn't fear writing about non-canon characters -- if anything, I want to encourage this as the Wiki must also be as much a record of our own forum's creations than anything else.  For example, NewYinzer didn't know that there was already an Apple I-tan, in part I'm sure because he wasn't around when Aurora and yourself created them AND because he (like everyone else) doesn't have the time to weed through the forum threads in search of one.  ^__^

As long as all our creations are visible in one convenient spot, we'll be better able to keep track of them AND expand upon their characters further.  

Which reminds me, here are four more of my own short-term objectives:

E)  If it continues to be a problem, I'll look into enhancing the Wiki editing guide to make it easier to learn how to edit the darn thing.  I'm already doing Inkscape tutorials, so it wouldn't be too much of a change of pace for me -- but it definitely must take precedent, since it's counterproductive to invite people to add to the Wiki when it's not altogether clear how.  ^___^'

F)  Create a new "OS-tan Collections Logo", and ask Tsubashi-dono to load it up as it seems to be a back-end feature.

G)  Consider allowing compartmentalized articles, so we can record any notes or observations by specific artists, visitors and computer techies.  For example, the Amiga article can include a clearly-labeled subsection describing my own notes of her in relation to the Annex storyline, whereas Aurora can have her own section describing her role in Zerosanity, and so on.  Think of them as visible commentaries, and thus something that makes it more possible to describe alternative designs (which will prove very valuable when it comes to Vista).

H)  In addition, for the so-called "speculative" OS-tans, we can probably consider formalizing a list of sample pictures of them (linked of course), not unlike the approach I used at my Annex to identify all known renditions of said character.  I once proposed to Fedora-dono that we overhaul the Picture Gallery so that it can be grouped by keyword (aka, character) rather than by general collections -- this was in the hope that the Wiki article for Me-tan could just point to the Me-tan specific gallery, and BOOM!  The visitor would be able to view 1000 images of her on demand.  ^___^

Naturally, that's not set up and who knows if it can ever be set up, but for the time being we can at least consider something similar.  
    [/list]

NejinOniwa

GUH! Mustn't slack, mustn't slack...

Yahai ^^ I'll do my best as well to fill the holes and give birth to new stars, as well! Sometimes i HAET Nei for being such a slacker, and between school and this, I really have to work on my inner genki-ness.
    Yosha! *runs off towards wiki*
    YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

NewYinzer

Hmm...looks like we have some activity back on the wiki!

You lost me with this one; I'm not sure what you mean. Judging from context, though, I think this thread already serves that purpose, ne? ^-^

What I mean is a sort of "community portal", like wikipedia has, in which people can share ideas and discuss things. However, it looks like this thread solves that problem already. What I visualized was similar to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Community_Portal

QuoteE) If it continues to be a problem, I'll look into enhancing the Wiki editing guide to make it easier to learn how to edit the darn thing. I'm already doing Inkscape tutorials, so it wouldn't be too much of a change of pace for me -- but it definitely must take precedent, since it's counterproductive to invite people to add to the Wiki when it's not altogether clear how. ^___^'

Wikipe-tan is way ahead of you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:tutorial

C-Chan

Oh right, there's no shortage of tutorials on the subject,... but I think it'd be great to repackage one with the.... "OSC Touch" so to speak.... -v-

NewYinzer

Good plan! By the way, we seem to have allocated pages that no personifications exist for. For example, we have a C128 and VIC-20 links for some reason. We could create "umbrella" pages covering several separate personifications and future personifications, such as a "Other Commodore" page for C128 and VIC-20, and a "Other Linux" page for Sabayon, Red Flag, Puppy Linux, and others. However, it would be good to come to some sort of agreement on these things, since we could be spending years making pages for personifications that don't exist.

C-Chan

Well in those particular examples you're using, they ALL exist at this time (even though half are stuck in sketches).  ^^'

With some minor exceptions (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.), I only added placeholders for any OS-tans who's design has at least been formulated to some degree -- VIC-tan and 128-tan, in fact, were not added to the list until much after I created the rough sketches for them.

Regardless, I won't discourage the preemption of non-existent OS-tans as long as they're in context.  In other words, I might not be the best idea to have them on the main listing, but mentioned in an article (such as the Ubuntu-tan one) should be alright since we're clearly stating a fictional requirement for more of her sisters.  In Wikipedia we do see many such red links as well.

BTW, I'll probably fix this tomorrow, but TRS-DOS and Coco are actually two different OS-tans.  TRS-DOS as in the original TRS-80 monochrome computer, and Coco as in the TRS-80 Color Computer (which due to laziness by Radio Shack, still kept the TRS-80 moniker, even though it had greatly overhauled hardware).

NejinOniwa

Ano...stupid question perhaps but, how the hell do I embed images in the wiki posts? I was able to do the rest of DC-tan's post by ripping off the syntax from others, but this is stoppu for me. -w- Halp plz?

Added after 10 minutes:

never mind, found itz -w- Anywayssu, as soon as I've got an avi for DC-Tan, her article will be complete! (it's still up now, though, but image-less for the moment.)
    YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Icelilly

Just a quick question but does the WIKI support PNG files? I tried to upload a PNG file and it told me it wasn't able to.

C-Chan

Yes ma'am, in fact one of my latest uploaded avi's is in the PNG format.  ^^

If you'd like, you can post it here and I'll see if i have the same problems uploading it to the Wiki.

Added after 51 seconds:

[whispering]  (BTW, probably a bad time to request a Windows 2.0-tan stamp, eh?)  ^_____^;

Bella

Quote[whispering] (BTW, probably a bad time to request a Windows 2.0-tan stamp, eh?) ^_____^;

I concur :D

BTW, I like the Win1.0 and 2.0 profiles. I mean, 2.0's is manically delicious!  ;010  

( ;014 Ooooh...bad joke at the expense of Win2.0's depressed attitude...and I also have a question regarding her, but I'll save that for the OS-tan family thread)

Icelilly

It's this one made by Infinity-sama

*whispers*
    Of course not. <3

C-Chan

Okey-doke.  Standby for results and step-by-step instructions. ^^

*goes off to work*

Added after 24 seconds:

BTW, Bella-sama, I'll be right with you.  ^___^

*scurries off*

Added after 3 minutes:

*scurries back*

Ano,... you do realize that's a JPG image, right?  ^___^'

....Oh well, no matter,....
    Stand by.  ^.^

Added after 9 minutes:

Okay, I got lukewarm news! ^__^

Turns out it was a problem with the actual file, not the extension.  I just resaved it onto itself as a JPG, and that seems to have fixed the data corruption.  

Feel free to check her out.... ^v^

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Image:Error404.jpg

Regardless, I'll still post the Upload entry page just to make sure we're on the same page.  ^___^

[attachment deleted by admin]

Icelilly

Ah, I see! ^^;
    Now my only problem is that I put the image up on the 404-tan's page. I don't see an edit button on her page. O_O' Does that mean I have to delete the page from the "Site-tans" section and recreate the page?

EDIT: Never mind! I figured it out. It was on the side the whole time! XD

EDIT 2: I finished all the error-tans!! ^__^ I'm so proud of myself! I think it's time for a celebration! <3 *dances*