Project WIKI

Started by NewYinzer, November 07, 2006, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYinzer

We might want to make all current wiki members the "heads" of the Wiki, so we can allow more members to come in and edit. That way, we have a few core people to make important edits and keep the trolls at bay. Good idea, SleepyD!

NejinOniwa

Well, that IS how wikis usually is built up, is it not? (and most other things on the intarwebs, too)
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

NewYinzer

Yes. We originally only wanted the people who wanted to edit the wiki edit it, but now it looks as though we might open it up to anonymous.

Tsubashi

QuoteThe Wiki should be free for EVERYONE to edit it, without the need to create an account

Good point, but do remember that for now the wiki is still in "Beta" form
Though still, watching that little flame war develop on wakachan makes me somewhat hesitant to open it up so quickly. I don't think we have enough people/time to correct all the vandalism that could occur. Wiki group membership isn't exactly "Hard" to obtain, so I think requiring registration is Okay. ^-^
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

Yes, Wakachan is an excellent example of things gone too far, on some matters.
So I'll have to agree with Tsubashi-dono again here. (is it just me or do i do that a lot lately?)
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

SleepyD

Is there a way to restrict editing to articles regarding the original OS-tans?

I'd assume anonymous would know quite a bit on that.

And yes, it is still in beta testing. Do we know how long that will be? o_o

Even if we don't open it now, I think we should open it eventually.  I'd assume it would be too early to do so anyway, right after that little episode on waka.  Let the flames settle down first.

Darknight_88

QuoteThough still, watching that little flame war develop on wakachan makes me somewhat hesitant to open it up so quickly. I don't think we have enough people/time to correct all the vandalism that could occur. Wiki group membership isn't exactly "Hard" to obtain, so I think requiring registration is Okay. ^-^

QuoteYes, Wakachan is an excellent example of things gone too far, on some matters.

First, I don't think they'd really vandalize the wiki. They complained because it was inaccurate at some points (like adding non-canon characters), not just because they felt like it.
If some article is vandalized too much, then all the mods have to do is to lock it, just like Wikipedia.

And then, to justify anonymous wiki editing:
Quote from: "http://wakaba.c3.cx/shii/shiichan"Registration keeps out good posters. Imagine someone with an involving job related to your forum comes across it. This person is an expert in her field, and therefore would be a great source of knowledge for your forum; but if a registration, complete with e-mail and password, is necessary before posting, she might just give up on posting and do something more important. People with lives will tend to ignore forums with a registration process.

NewYinzer

Simmer down...this is starting to look like the debate about what to do about the Iraq War!

Here's what I propose:
- By the end of summer, we open up the wiki to registration. No anonymous users, just registered users. If they like the wiki enough, they can become full forum members.
- We open our own imageboard, to allow anonymous users to become acquainted with the forum. This imageboard would be open to everyone, allowing the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. Imageboards are safer and easier to patrol for admins. If they like it, they can come to the central forum and register for an account.  
- For the central forum, we keep the current registered users system, being that letting in guests might destabilize it.

SleepyD

Request: discussion in IRC channel, and post results here.

Tsubashi

Agreed. NewYinzer's plan seems reasonable, though Fedora-dono has the final say.
But I agree with SleepyD, opening anything to anonymous users will require more Moderators / more time spent by Mods
-Tsu

NewYinzer

Since when do we have IRC?

Tsubashi

Um... since 15 Apr 2006
-Tsu

NewYinzer

Well...it doesn't work for me.

SleepyD

update java, or, connect to
server: irc.chat4all.net
channel: #ostan

NewYinzer

I keep getting disconnected for some reason...