Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

PINK SUGAR HEART SWOON!!!!!!!!!!!  ^0^

*passes out*

Bella

QuoteTook a while, but finally have more allies in the reclusive Infinity Zero Vision Mini-Making hobby. ^.^

Will be back later to say more -- but given how easy they are to make, I might pitch in with a handful too. Especially the OS-tans I've not been able to draw (thumbs through sketches of AtariDOS and PilotOS)..... ^___^

I never realized what great fun making these are :D

QuoteFYI, those are Version 1.0 Minis. Infinity Zero is now doing Version 2.0 Minis, which have legs. Still, I'm kinda partial to the 1.0's myself,... they're so cute and compact.... ^o^

I concur...I love the 2.0 minis, but the 1.0s are very quick to make.

QuoteOh, and yeah,... almost forgot,....

To honor this "Blast from the Past" I'm reinstating the long lost art of Melt Swoonage....

Who wants Ice Cream that tastes suspiciously pork?! ^v^

Mmmm...mystery ice cream....

QuoteNot for me. ~_~; I tried it and just got too frustrated by it. Though, I'll probably have to work with some vector programs once I start getting into CG and animation classes.

Out of curiosity, what program did you use...?

QuoteYeah, each of the mini-makers do use their own color frames. I guess it started when C-Chan used green frames for his.

light blue: infinity_zero (original)
green: C-Chan
light purple: Aurora
grey: Bella
Navy blue: Tsubashi

Really? This is news to me, all of my mini frames have coordinated with the character....

QuoteWhoa! What kind of ice cream is that shade of green? 0__0

Mint, of course! :)

QuoteShe is very advanced with potential that equals or surpasses Sorcerer-tan's. However she has a lot to learn to reach that potential!
Aside from requiring new acquaintances to make a social contract with her, she is introverted and likes birds (ravens and crows in particular), kinda like Zazie from "Negima".

And it's kinda hard to tell on the minis but she has feathers on the edges of her shawl.

Cute! I really like the second one...I like the lighting effects you used!

QuoteAlright!...

Here's Lunar Linux-tan!

And Sorcerer-tan!

Let me say, Lunar Linux-tan is beautiful! I love her hairdo, her outfit, her eyes...and those are owl ears, right? (Though I think the later is going to incite a lot of SCO-chan suspicion).

Sorcerer-tan is cool, too! She seems a lot more serious and darker (which fits her well, considering the OS itself)...and I suppose that she's holding her multi-colored orb, right?

Great work! Ubuntu-sama approves!

C-Chan

Oh now this is TOO much cute for a single pig to absorb!!!!  ^V^

*sticks insulin shot*

Actually, do y'all want to start an official Mini thread?  
We can turn it into a "Pokemonian"-style effort to "draw them all".  ^^

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Bella"Let me say, Lunar Linux-tan is beautiful! I love her hairdo, her outfit, her eyes...and those are owl ears, right? (Though I think the later is going to incite a lot of SCO-chan suspicion).
Well, those are actually just pigtails imitating owl ears. Still convincing enough to make SCO-chan and Slackware-chan highly suspiscious. Makes me wonder what Unix-sama would say if she by chance encountered Lunar Linux-tan 0__0...

Sorcerer-tan is cool, too! She seems a lot more serious and darker (which fits her well, considering the OS itself)...and I suppose that she's holding her multi-colored orb, right?
Right.

Great work! Ubuntu-sama approves!

Beautiful! Now I think THAT'S my favorite of the minis you have made! ;010

Siya

QuoteOut of curiosity, what program did you use...?
Inkscape.  It wasn't so much that the program was difficult to use.  It's just my personal level of patience.

I'm really excited to see all the new minis being created, though. ^^

C-Chan

I haven't touched on this thread yet.....  ^^'

*processes raincheck*

Quote*GASP!* Aurora has made... BOOTLEG MINIS!
(what can I say? I really like those OS-tan minis and they are easy and fun to make!)

Ah-ha!  So THESE cuties are the ones that restarted it all!  
Thank you for making these!  I hope you enjoyed making Minis as much as I did when I first launched my bootleg series.  ^___^

To say they're all cute is redundant -- you drew them all very cutely before.  ^^
But it's just so darn awesome to see them in mini form.  ^.^

QuoteI really like the minis, too. Unfortunately, I'm too impatient with vector programs to bother with them. That's a nice lineup you've got there. ^^

Depending on how far I get with my programming training, I was actually bouncing around the C-R-A-Z-Y idea of trying a Mini Maker applet as a test program.  ^^
It would all you to piece together SVG components of a mini not unlike how I have in my current template, but also allow you to change color and of course add in your own customization.

As simple as it sounds, though, it's just an idea and when I wouldn't hold my breath that I'd make.  [Baka C-chan...] ^^;

QuoteOh man, I gotta make some bootleg minis, too. You know what just occurred to me, though? I don't know if this has ever been suggested before or not, but we should have a mini-making contest. Cause the template is out there and all, it'd be easier for people to do than a full wallpaper or whatever, and would be fun (and educational when it comes to using vector graphics). I just wonder if Infinity-san would be alright with it...I dunno what kinda organizing would go into it, either, but I'm just throwing this out there.

The one benefit to Mini artwork is that it adheres to a consistent style.  Point of fact, ALL of the Minis drawn so far look the same, so it kinda puts everyone on a level playing field (aside from the fact that the originals were done in Flash, these in Inkscape).  

But as for a full-fledged contest.... wouldn't be a bad idea given the right incentive.  ^__^

QuoteI've always found vector graphics to be more intuitive and easier than raster, but I guess to each his own...

Admittedly, Illustrator and Photoshop and even Flash to an extent turned me off it for quite some time, since their vector line tools have particularly caveats that I always found annoying.

In Flash, it was easy to break apart strokes and paths.  In Illustrator, the nodes were too small (I always had to squint to see where they were), and the whole program did everything possible to be more complicated than it had to be.  And in Photoshop,...well,... those weren't even real vector tools at all -- just raster drawing aids.  ^^

Even though Inkscape is fantastic now, when I first used it (version 0.43 for Windows) it had a nasty habit of,... CRASHING.... a lot.... and I lost HUGE swathes of the Amiga and PalmOS drawings thanks to it.  ^^'

If not for the fact that it WAS easy to pick up and produce the kind of sharp cel drawings I was looking for, I would've given up.  ^^;

I am, however, a special case since my hand drawing and raster graphics skills were (and still are) terrible, so I had an incentive to stick to vector graphics.  You [Siya] already produce fantastic Anime works by hand, so the same incentive just isn't there [and I wouldn't encourage a switch either].  ^.^

QuoteMini Linux-tans! I liked both renditions equally and a lot so I made minis of both!

Kewl!!  ^v^

You know, it had just occurred to me that there ARE no Linux-sama Minis at all.  @.@

In fact, the only Linux-based Mini done up until that point was Fedora-sama.  ^^;

QuoteAnd... Here are the first few Mac-tans!

Awww yeeeeeeeeeah,... These girls are VERY conducive to the mini style.  ^.^

I got dibs on my adorable 3-chan.  ^___^

QuoteNo wai! I was just about to draw a mini Linux-sama! (but as you can see, I did manage a Puppy-chan)

Waaaah?!  No Ryoga cosplay?  @v@
Nah, I kid!  She's looking like the sweetie that she is.  ^___^

QuoteNot for me. ~_~; I tried it and just got too frustrated by it. Though, I'll probably have to work with some vector programs once I start getting into CG and animation classes.

Too bad they likely won't all Inkscape, but if so you know where to find my half-finishe, half-assed but still mildly-helpful tutorial.  ^___^'

Quote*unabashedly raises hand* A seesaw demon does, certainly!

Sorry,... Voyeuristic C-chan Ice Cream is for GIRLS ONLY.  >___<

QuoteYeah, each of the mini-makers do use their own color frames. I guess it started when C-Chan used green frames for his.

light blue: infinity_zero (original)
green: C-Chan
light purple: Aurora
grey: Bella
Navy blue: Tsubashi

Correct.  Or at least that's the trend I was trying to establish.  To distinguish my bootlegs from Infinity-san's originals, I used a green border.  ^___^

QuoteAnd good idea to mentioning making minis of OS-tans that havent been drawn yet. That inspired me to make these:

It's SourceMage-tan!

She is very advanced with potential that equals or surpasses Sorcerer-tan's. However she has a lot to learn to reach that potential!
Aside from requiring new acquaintances to make a social contract with her, she is introverted and likes birds (ravens and crows in particular), kinda like Zazie from "Negima".

And it's kinda hard to tell on the minis but she has feathers on the edges of her shawl.

EXCELLENT!!!  Yeah, I reckon Minis will offer a great opportunity to create characters that have been drafted, but never drawn.  I'm working on mine today.  ^___^

QuoteAlright!...

Here's Lunar Linux-tan!

And Sorcerer-tan!

Well i already Pink-Sugar-Swooned for those.  ^____^

QuoteReally? This is news to me, all of my mini frames have coordinated with the character....

Aaaaaaaaaaaah.......  @v@;

Bella-chan.....  ^^;

............................^________^x

QuoteGreat work! Ubuntu-sama approves!

I like the second one, but this version is nice too.  ^.^

Siya

QuoteSorry,... Voyeuristic C-chan Ice Cream is for GIRLS ONLY. >___<
Well, if it's that kind of ice cream, I don't know if I want it, anymore.... >.>;

Aurora Borealis

New sketch I made today, up!:

Apple I-tan putting a flower necklace on Altair-tan as well adding flowers and ribbons to her hair! Since the Apple I was hardly a competitor against the Altair, she didn't see Apple I-tan (who is very sweet and a pacifist) as an enemy at all and maybe even saw her as a friend!

Bella

Haha! The meeting of the world's first Apple Evangelist and the first Microsoftie. Little did they know what would happen between their companies down the road (well, not MITS; but M$. They did the programing for the Altair, right?) @__@

Very cute, I'm hoping we see this finished!

C-Chan

Wow, I can't even consider this a "blast" from the past.  Call it a whole "volcanic eruption"!  ^____^

It's a charming sketch, Aurora-hime.  ^.^

And I-sama is sooooooooo sweet,.... OOH!  I just gotta bring her back!  !!^0^

*starts begging Plan 9-sama for help*

*gets kicked out*

*goes off to beg Plan B-tan for some bootlegged necromancy*

*mysterious tentacles start sprouting out of her room*

[pops head out]  Uh oh,..... anyone here good with a harpoon?  ^_____^;

*tentacle wraps around C-chan and drags him kicking and screaming back into the room*

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: BellaHaha! The meeting of the world's first Apple Evangelist and the first Microsoftie. Little did they know what would happen between their companies down the road (well, not MITS; but M$. They did the programing for the Altair, right?) @__@

Very cute, I'm hoping we see this finished!
Yeah, it is pretty sad that they don't know what would happen between Apple and Microsoft. BTW, Microsoft's first product was Altair BASIC, the primary OS on the Altair 8800!

Makes me wonder if the early Microsoft-tans would show respect for Altair-tan, knowing that she was involved with their company coming to be.

And here's the picture finished!

And in the style of an old photograph:

Quote from: C-ChanWow, I can't even consider this a "blast" from the past.  Call it a whole "volcanic eruption"!  ^____^

It's a charming sketch, Aurora-hime.  ^.^

And I-sama is sooooooooo sweet,.... OOH!  I just gotta bring her back!  !!^0^
Oh I know! It is such a shame that she died! ;__;
(say, how did she die? Am I morbid for pondering the deaths of the deceased OS-tans?)

Quote*starts begging Plan 9-sama for help*
*joins in*

Quote*gets kicked out*
Curse you, Plan 9! >__<

Quote*goes off to beg Plan B-tan for some bootlegged necromancy*
Uhh... I have a bad feeling about this...

Quote*mysterious tentacles start sprouting out of her room*

[pops head out]  Uh oh,..... anyone here good with a harpoon?  ^_____^;

*tentacle wraps around C-chan and drags him kicking and screaming back into the room*
Sadly I cannot be trusted with a harpoon. But I have a magic wand+ray gun if that helps! AAAAH! Back, back away I say, tentacle girl! Gimme back C-Chan!

Siya

That's an absolutely adorable picture, Aurora-san! :D

Bella

Quote*mysterious tentacles start sprouting out of her room*

[pops head out] Uh oh,..... anyone here good with a harpoon? ^_____^;

Nooooooooo! Cthulhu (...or is that Octopus-tan...?) has got C-Chan! Ah, we knew the well...
And here's the picture finished!

Wow! This picture is absolutely great, Aurora!

Apple I-sama is looking beautiful as always, she's just such a free spirited hippie chick. But the surprise for me...how pretty Altair 8800-tan is! I knew you wouldn't disappoint, of course, but she's looking so cute here! I love her outfit, her hairstyle, and that expression as Apple I-sama gives her the flower necklace. And the old fashioned photo look is neat, too, though regrettably you loose a bit of the detail. But I suppose that's the point ;)

QuoteYeah, it is pretty sad that they don't know what would happen between Apple and Microsoft. BTW, Microsoft's first product was Altair BASIC, the primary OS on the Altair 8800!

I know! Thus her being the first Microsoftie (but I still love her!)

QuoteMakes me wonder if the early Microsoft-tans would show respect for Altair-tan, knowing that she was involved with their company coming to be.

I dunno if M$ was yet the shadowy empire we know them as today, but somehow I think, perhaps that the early MS-tans would have been kept in the dark about this : /

QuoteOh I know! It is such a shame that she died! ;__;
(say, how did she die? Am I morbid for pondering the deaths of the deceased OS-tans?)

Hmmm...that's an interesting question....considering that there's no known OS-tan that ever died in its prime, I suppose "old age" or the illness that comes with it did in most of them...

QuoteSadly I cannot be trusted with a harpoon. But I have a magic wand+ray gun if that helps! AAAAH! Back, back away I say, tentacle girl! Gimme back C-Chan!

*Comes in with shoe-on-a-stick*

Did somebody say they needed a harpoon? Well, I don't have one, but I do have a shoe-on-a-stick!

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: BellaNooooooooo! Cthulhu (...or is that Octopus-tan...?) has got C-Chan! Ah, we knew the well...

More likely Octopus-tan but still, she's dangerous!-- AAAAAAUGH! She took my ray gun! >__<

I will resort to my next plan:

AAAAAAAAH! *runs around in circles screaming*

QuoteWow! This picture is absolutely great, Aurora!

Apple I-sama is looking beautiful as always, she's just such a free spirited hippie chick. But the surprise for me...how pretty Altair 8800-tan is! I knew you wouldn't disappoint, of course, but she's looking so cute here! I love her outfit, her hairstyle, and that expression as Apple I-sama gives her the flower necklace. And the old fashioned photo look is neat, too, though regrettably you loose a bit of the detail. But I suppose that's the point ;)
Thank you!

The loss of detail in the old-fashioned photo version is intentional as early photographs were rather blurry. It is also noted that this picture takes place in 1976 or 1977 with both Altair-tan and Apple I-tan in their youth. Got the inspiration for the old photo version from the Microsoft family photo collage that C-Chan made- the OS-tans in that picture released in the 70's and 80's had black+white pictures so I thought that seemed appropriate

QuoteI dunno if M$ was yet the shadowy empire we know them as today, but somehow I think, perhaps that the early MS-tans would have been kept in the dark about this : /
Aww bummer...

QuoteHmmm...that's an interesting question....considering that there's no known OS-tan that ever died in its prime, I suppose "old age" or the illness that comes with it did in most of them...
Although an exception I know of is that somewhere it was mentioned that Xenix-san was a casualty in either the OS wars or Unix wars.
---

Here is the first page of the early Apple-tan comic I'm working on:

C-Chan

QuoteMakes me wonder if the early Microsoft-tans would show respect for Altair-tan, knowing that she was involved with their company coming to be.

Given there's virtually almost no one left who remembers Xenix-sama,................... yeah,... kinda safe to assume Altair-sama is, in their minds, lost in the dustbin of history.  -__-'

QuoteAnd here's the picture finished!

FLOORED!!!!!!!!!!  @V@

*C-chan slams self unconscious onto the ground*

QuoteAnd in the style of an old photograph:

*C-chan twitches with giddiness*

It's been a while since I've seen Fullies from you, so I'd forgotten how charmingly you draw them.  Nice vibrant colors, cute quaint expressions, incredibly expressive eyes and of course actions that speak louder of words.  Yes indeed, I'm happy to see an Aurora Fully -- especially one with a limited-edition "vintage" set.  ^____^

QuoteOh I know! It is such a shame that she died! ;__;

Hmmm... wonder if Aurora-hime is russian too.  *chortle chortle*  ^___^

Well,... with a few exceptions,... I don't picture OS-tan deaths as being particularly eventful.  Even though they don't manifest any real physical changes (like old age), their life force nevertheless wittles away little by little, so they get slower and weaker.  Somtimes they'd pass away quietly in their sleep, other times (like with MULTICS-sama) they'd pass away in the presence of or literally in the arms of a loved one or relative.

In I-sama's case, she likely passed away Haibane Renmei-style (you'd have to see it to know what I mean), so as not to trouble the still very young II-chan and Lisa-chan.

QuoteSadly I cannot be trusted with a harpoon. But I have a magic wand+ray gun if that helps! AAAAH! Back, back away I say, tentacle girl! Gimme back C-Chan!

Well on the plus side... maybe it could be another playmate for Octopus-chan?  ^___^

*bats away tentacle* >0<

QuoteNooooooooo! Cthulhu (...or is that Octopus-tan...?) has got C-Chan! Ah, we knew the well...

Hmpf!  First she uses me as a football in the Members Intro thread,...  
THEN she doesn't come charging amazon-like with spear in hand against this octopus,... thingie... in order to save me...!  ^0^

*C-chan looks up with indignance*  Â¯o¯

Apple I-sama is looking beautiful as always, she's just such a free spirited hippie chick. But the surprise for me...how pretty Altair 8800-tan is! I knew you wouldn't disappoint, of course, but she's looking so cute here! I love her outfit, her hairstyle, and that expression as Apple I-sama gives her the flower necklace. And the old fashioned photo look is neat, too, though regrettably you loose a bit of the detail. But I suppose that's the point

Hmpf!  Well,.. this admittedly takes the words out of my mouth, but still... hmpf!  Â¯___¯

Quote*Comes in with shoe-on-a-stick*

Did somebody say they needed a harpoon? Well, I don't have one, but I do have a shoe-on-a-stick!

*C-chan facefaults and collapses on ground*

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.............. ooooooooooooookay,... I'm obliged to forgive you for trying, but still,......  

Whatcha gonna do with that against a giant mutant monster created with bootlegged necromancy performed by a bootlegged clone with seafood on her mind?  TvT;

I suppose if the shoe is particularly big heavy, it can be used as bludgeoning tool.  If it has a pointy 3 to 5-inch heel, maybe we can use it as a makeshift dagger.  Or if it's oderifous,.... well,.... don't use it while I'm still in the blast radius please.  T.T'

QuoteAAAAAAAAH! *runs around in circles screaming*

.............. another one.... TvT;

*resigns self to fate of being mutant octopus food*

QuoteThe loss of detail in the old-fashioned photo version is intentional as early photographs were rather blurry. It is also noted that this picture takes place in 1976 or 1977 with both Altair-tan and Apple I-tan in their youth. Got the inspiration for the old photo version from the Microsoft family photo collage that C-Chan made- the OS-tans in that picture released in the 70's and 80's had black+white pictures so I thought that seemed appropriate

*C-chan coos happily*

I'm so glad you remember that!  ^.^

QuoteAlthough an exception I know of is that somewhere it was mentioned that Xenix-san was a casualty in either the OS wars or Unix wars.

Ah yes, that's one of those "exceptions" I was telling you about.  ^.^'

QuoteHere is the first page of the early Apple-tan comic I'm working on:

Hold the phone,... what have we here?!  @v@

I knew you were going to make this, but didn't imagine it would be so soon!  This isn't looking wonderful!  ^v^

Lisa-chan is great looking so young and shrieky and spoiled,... but actually TALKING!  It's nice to see II-chan finally getting some more active exposure, now that Baka C-chan doesn't do anything for her.  -____-'
And 1.0-chan is simply an adorable little munchkin of a cinderella character!  ^v^

It looks like these are handsketched, and I would keep it like that since it fits the old, vintage narration like a glove.  ^___^