Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Long time no see, Alfamille! Good suggestion you have there too! I didn't really know how to symbolize the Multifinder feature -_- (nor do I understand why anyone would want selective multitasking because don't we always want to be able to run multiple things at once? Well at least it's a step up from not being able to multitask at all but still...)

Ooh. And that's a tough question, C-Chan! What exactly is the Finder? I'm not entirely sure but I think the Finder is the user interface of the Mac OS while the 'system' is the unseen stuff, the inner workings of the Mac OS. But that's just my two cents about that. But as for the second part of your question, I'm not sure at all! ^^; (darnit, and I've been a Mac user for about 12 years!)

Tsubashi

QuoteWhat exactly is the Finder, and what makes it great enough to be the highlight of every release? ^^;

Finder is somewhat comparable to a graphical shell. It handles File management, application data, and launching programs. The most likely reason for it being a "highlight" of new releases is that Apple rewrote the Finder for OS X, instead of upgrading or modifying the existing Finder.

Also, Version 6 was the first Finder to have the "Multi-Finder" extension, which allowed for cooperative multitasking!

Hope that helps!

Added after 2 minutes:

QuoteNot to mention that knowledge is only one Wiki click away.... -.-

Funny you should phrase it like that! The Finder page on Apple's website has the subtitle --> Everything you need, just a click away!
-Tsu

C-Chan

Aha, now I get it!!  ^v^
So it's almost the equivalent of "Aero" in Vista, or "Gnome" for Ubuntu, or "Workbench" for Amiga.  ^___^

The name sounds like a search engine, so that's what through me off. Awesome, thanks you two!  ^___^

QuoteFunny you should phrase it like that! The Finder page on Apple's website has the subtitle --> Everything you need, just a click away!

/C-chan feels inordinately baka this evening.... ^___^'

Speaking of which, Aurora-sama.....

Tsubashi-san needs help..... posting stuff.....  -v-

Would you mind maybe... lending your thread for a little bit....
Just until he builds up his courage meter?  ^___^

Alfamille

Quote from: "Tsubashi"

Finder is somewhat comparable to a graphical shell. It handles File management, application data, and launching programs. The most likely reason for it being a "highlight" of new releases is that Apple rewrote the Finder for OS X, instead of upgrading or modifying the existing Finder.

Also, Version 6 was the first Finder to have the "Multi-Finder" extension, which allowed for cooperative multitasking!

For me, the Finder in OS9 seemed to be more better than the Finder in the early versions of OSX (Cheetah, Puma,  Jaguar), you can't easily see the no. and size of files of the said folder (individual folder) because you have the access that folder first or do /rightclick the Folder>Get info/ .

Although I thank them that in the Panther and Tiger version,  the Finder can finally  reflect each folders or applications according to its file size and the date regarding when it was created and modified. Thanks to the "Column" and "list" option in there.

By the way C,  the Finder was like the Windows Explorer in Windows. Only easier and interactive to use

C-Chan

Fufufu,... well I use Kubuntu now, so methinks the better comparison (if that's the case) would be Konqueror.  It's a file manager, web browser, image previewer, Amarok player, and then some....

Interaction overload for this poor pig's brain.... ^v^

*explodes*

Alfamille

Quote from: "C-Chan"Fufufu,... well I use Kubuntu now, so methinks the better comparison (if that's the case) would be Konqueror.  It's a file manager, web browser, image previewer, Amarok player, and then some....

Interaction overload for this poor pig's brain.... ^v^

*explodes*

Y' know Konqueror have impressed on its uniqueness. Like you said it could be file manager, web browser, image previewer , etc.

I mean in a Win 32 application folder in Windows. I think you could also surf some websites/page/s  using it as long as you are online in the internet (of course it'll run using the IE application). So I have the impression that maybe the creators of Konqueror thought something like "If a Windows folder can easily access the net, why can't we do the same in the browser, except that it would be more than a browser...it could preview files and images, it could be a file manager, etc. (I wish Apple could do that to Safari though, that'll be cool if they do...)

Although I wonder why is it slower than Firefox whenever I use YDL.

By the way, installing Firefox on YDL took my freind like almost an hour to modify some codes on Firefox. I really guess I have to know more on this Linux distro.

Oh crap! We've been really out of topic! -_-"

C-Chan

QuoteBy the way, installing Firefox on YDL took my freind like almost an hour to modify some codes on Firefox. I really guess I have to know more on this Linux distro.

I'm guessing I'm gonna have the same problem installing Firefox on eComStation.  Blessed are those who brave the relatively unknown OSes.....  ^^;

Oh, and lesse,... something to keep this on topic..... -v-

*ponders*

A Yellow Dog Linux-tan would be an excellent friend of the Mac Family (Amiga too)!  ^v^

There, I saved yer hide, Alfamille.  ^__^

Now all you have to do is test out MorphOS on your spare PowerPC, and we'll be nice and even.  ^.^

*starts suffering from episode of MOS-chan withdrawal*

*starts chewing on hoof*  GAWD, I hope Raffaele-san finishes her soon.... -.-'

*chew chew*

Aurora Borealis

A Yellow Dog-tan? I guess I could try my luck at drawing one. *adds to "List of OS-tans/related characters to draw" list*

But in the meantime, I did get this done though!

A/UX-tan! Drew her because someone  asked if there was one.

She's a pig girl (she even has pigtails that look like pigs tails!), wears part of a space suit, is very tomboyish, daydreams a lot and is a huge fan of wrestling (and even does some herself). References to some of A/UX's codenames: "Pigs in space", "Space Cadet", "Hulk Hogan"

infinity_zero

Tsubashi

Seconded!
Amazingly good! Where do you get all these great ideas?
-Tsu

Laevatein

Pigtails that look like pigtails? O_o

LOL But then again, she's very kawaii XD

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

C-Chan

*swoons*  

*leaps toward A/UX-tan*  SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

*cuddles*

Amazingly, A/UX is enormously relevant to this thread, since it's essentially "Apple UNIX".  ^___^

Though not directly related to the Mac-tans, her friendly relationship with them back in the day (early 90's) would be similar to what NeXTSTEP and Darwin currently are to them now.  ^.^

And as for the flaming.... Ã,¬__Ã,¬'
It's a given that the board is pointless and it's no wonder the Japanese boards don't give a crap about them (their words).  So I'm at the point where I feel the likes of the Frida's author and the poser of that A/UX question share an equal amount of the fault for not lurking a little more.  If only they would give our board a shot, they would at least be around people a little more receptive to their artwork and their questions.  -.-

Aurora Borealis

Thank you! As for how I think of this stuff, I don't know actually. It just sorta happens at random!

And C-Chan, you said A/UX-tan had a friendly relation with the Mac-tans in the early 90's but what happened that changed that?

And I have a new avatar! I don't really care for XP-tan/Saseko but I couldn't resist making a chibi, avatar-sized version of the "Where's the beef?!" picture I drew of her back in November! :D

C-Chan

QuoteAnd C-Chan, you said A/UX-tan had a friendly relation with the Mac-tans in the early 90's but what happened that changed that?

*ponders*  Hmmmm,...............

...I - don't - know.... '__'

The thought never crossed my mind, since A/UX was an OS-tan WAY WAY WAY WAY back on the back burner.  ^^'
For whatever reason or other, I had her listed in the Annex as a Wanderer -- likely because she was fired by Apple as a desperate cost-cutting measure during the OS War (circa 1995).  -v-

But I could probably see her as the Mac equivalent of Windows 95 OSR 2.5-sama, popping into the Mac House now and then to vist the "kids" (especially the OSX girls, whom she a-d-o-r-e-s).  She IS a Unix-tan at heart, after all, so she likely has an elderly complex that belies her real age (although she's still pretty darn old).  ^.^'

That, coupled with her wrestling fandom and literal "pigheadedness", makes her act more like a retired Russian pro-wrestler than a Server administrator.  ^_________^;

The new AVI is cute, but I'd still like to see what was up with the other one....  '.'

Aurora Borealis

That all sounds good! She does also strike me as a wanderer type too. But she did manage to take getting fired from Apple strangely well though 0__0 SHE'S SO FORGIVING! Hahaha... "visit the 'kids'"! But a lot of them are older than her though! I think. How old is A/UX?  I actually don't know ;__;

And in Tsubashi's art thread, I said I should or would draw a fanart of Apple Newton-tan, and look! I did! Was fairly easy to draw except for the wings -__-