Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

I still giggle uncontrollably each time I see my avatar~O-- AHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, C-Chan! Go identify all those OS-tans and -kuns~O!

But when I reach 600 posts, I'll change my avatar to one of Lindows/Linspire-tan (next rank in sequence, and she'll be the zerOSanity variation too~O!)

C-Chan

From upper left hand to lower right....

-GS/OS of course, playing a very mucscular and mischievous cupid.  ^.^

-QDOS-tan, thanks for the cameo!  ^v^

-MacOS7-kun and MacOS4-tan.  Wonder why they're holding hands... hmmm.... Ã,¬vÃ,¬

-Secchan, apparently waiting for the right moment to strike.

-eComstation-chan, perhaps trying to stop GS/OS-tan's madness?  (thanks for the cameo again!!  ^V^)

-Barbie Linux-tan, being oggled by what looks like a boar.  ^^
(seems mighty appropriate for Valentine's Day,... wonder if Aurora-sama is onto me and my unique,... "preferences"...) Ã,¬vÃ,¬'

-Amiga-sama of course in her beaufiful gala dress that suits the occasion.  yes, her back will be frilly and have bows, so your imagination is spot on!!  (thank you anyway for the wonderful cameo, and for drawing her in her perfect element,... painting!) ^V^

-Hacchan, having her heart broken by Homeo's forced infidelity.

-OS7-tan, just sorta chillin' there....

-OS6-tan, apparently yearning for some rough and tumble play with one of the OSX-kuns (I'm gussing the bashful voyeur one, Puma).  ^^'

-2K-tan, with I'm assuming might be XP-kun (though seems a bit on the short side from this angle.

-Homeko, apparently dangling a beleaguered Homeo off the ground, who's hoping Hacchan won't cry and Secchan won't come and,... well no need to describe details.... -v-'

-ME-tan, unamused by her frozen self.

-Rhapsody, apparently behaving after the whole roof thing.... -v-;
[foreshadowing]

-OS9-kun granting OS3-tan's wish come true.  ^.^

-Darwin-tan with her (I guess should be big sister) NeXTSTEP-tan., eating a nice big juicy beetle.

-XP-tan falling in love with a cake, as promised.

-Tinfoil-tan,... not minding the punch being spoiled by the miniature girls, but wondering what the hell happened to QNX-san.

-iPod-tan, Damn Small Linux-tan, and a shrunken QNX-sama using the punch bowl as a pool.  Pretty daring thing to do with a glutton, a drunk and a bug eater nearby, none of whom would notice if they swallowed them.  ^^;

-And finally, in the lower right, is YOU!  ^___^

Aurora Borealis

Now, for how you did!

Quote from: "C-Chan"From upper left hand to lower right....

-GS/OS of course, playing a very mucscular and mischievous cupid.  ^.^
Exactly! After all, she does have wings and is good at archery! I kinda forgot to mention her personality and such but GS/OS-tan is an artist, specializes in sculpting and carving things (reference to "Gumby", one of the ][GS's codenames) she probably carved that ice sculpture!), archery and throwing sharp pointy things and is a bit on the psycho side (her appearance and those 2 attributes to her personality are references to "Rambo").

-QDOS-tan, thanks for the cameo!  ^v^
You're welcome! She was the one who repaired and reprogrammed the glowing sign to make a Valentine's message! :D

-MacOS7-kun and MacOS4-tan.  Wonder why they're holding hands... hmmm.... Ã,¬vÃ,¬
System 4-tan is very cheerful, so much that pretty much no one can stay disgruntled or sad around her! So System 7-kun (who is usually disgruntled) is happy around her and they get along well! ^^

-Secchan, apparently waiting for the right moment to strike.
Yup!

-eComstation-chan, perhaps trying to stop GS/OS-tan's madness?  (thanks for the cameo again!!  ^V^)
Correct but she's just using her powers to decorate the walls! She's a good girl! :D

-Barbie Linux-tan, being oggled by what looks like a boar.  ^^
(seems mighty appropriate for Valentine's Day,... wonder if Aurora-sama is onto me and my unique,... "preferences"...) Ã,¬vÃ,¬'
Yes, that is Barbie Linux-tan, however that's an OSX-kun that oggling her! I think that the OSX-kuns are sorta shapeshifters and have a kitten form (like that one) and the muscular semi-human form. That one was using his small height to look up Barbie's skirt. However your guess was good too! ^^

-Amiga-sama of course in her beaufiful gala dress that suits the occasion.  yes, her back will be frilly and have bows, so your imagination is spot on!!  (thank you anyway for the wonderful cameo, and for drawing her in her perfect element,... painting!) ^V^
Phew! Glad that was a good guess I made! And look, she's waving at the viewer! Say hi to her! :D
-Hacchan, having her heart broken by Homeo's forced infidelity.
Bwahahaha! GS/OS-tan set up a love triangle between Homeo, Homeko and Hacchan!

-OS7-tan, just sorta chillin' there....
Yup. She could be chilling out or patrolling for perverted OSX-kuns-- watch out!

-OS6-tan, apparently yearning for some rough and tumble play with one of the OSX-kuns (I'm gussing the bashful voyeur one, Puma).  ^^'
Yup! That and it's an ironic pairing because she's one of the girls that strikes fear into the OSX-kuns! But things could have been scarier though!...

-2K-tan, with I'm assuming might be XP-kun (though seems a bit on the short side from this angle.
Ooh. That is a big goofup I made! XP-kun should be a lot taller! This angle is a bit tricky -_-

-Homeko, apparently dangling a beleaguered Homeo off the ground, who's hoping Hacchan won't cry and Secchan won't come and,... well no need to describe details.... -v-'
Part of that crazy love triangle again! Poor Homeo! ^^

-ME-tan, unamused by her frozen self.

-Rhapsody, apparently behaving after the whole roof thing.... -v-;
[foreshadowing]

-OS9-kun granting OS3-tan's wish come true.  ^.^
Exactly! That is an interesting foreshadowing you mentioned! I never really considered that! But either way she's being a good girl and serving out drinks and cake!

-Darwin-tan with her (I guess should be big sister) NeXTSTEP-tan., eating a nice big juicy beetle.
Almost. Well actually that's a beetle-shaped chocolate on a stick she's eating! But otherwise you are right!

-XP-tan falling in love with a cake, as promised.
XP-tan loves food. This time literally! :D But what if she gets hungry and eats her "true love"?

NOOOOOO! WHERE DID MY LOVE GO?!?!

-Tinfoil-tan,... not minding the punch being spoiled by the miniature girls, but wondering what the hell happened to QNX-san.
Yes! That, or she's scared of the tiny people in the punch bowl!

-iPod-tan, Damn Small Linux-tan, and a shrunken QNX-sama using the punch bowl as a pool.  Pretty daring thing to do with a glutton, a drunk and a bug eater nearby, none of whom would notice if they swallowed them.  ^^;
PUNCH BOWL POOL PARTY!! :D

Aw geez, now that you pointed that out, that is pretty darn scary!

-And finally, in the lower right, is YOU!  ^___^
Yup! She's actually another character I made, Kattlanna- the protagonist in my other comic series. But Aurora is another important character too!

Score: Congratulations! You guessed everyone correctly! You win the internets! :D

Aurora Borealis

Here's my first attempt at vectors! It's Fark-tan, with a spectrum of tags in her hand! ^^ (okay, so there aren't any tags that are red but the pink "Interesting" tag is close enough)

Boy do my hands hurt! This took 1.5 hours to do and I could have gotten this done in 40 minutes or less if I did it freehand but I decided to experiment with the vector tools in Photoshop. Takes a lot longer but the advantage is that the outlines are all smooth. Well, it's all vectored except for the shading (which I could have vectored but that this was taking long enough, darnit!) but I'm satisfied!

And here's a wiki avi version!

Will make avis for the other website-tans I made too

Tsubashi

Wow! Amazing Aurora-sama!
That looks so good! Are you sure this is your first time with vector graphics? Could have fooled me!

QuoteThis took 1.5 hours to do and I could have gotten this done in 40 minutes or less if I did it freehand

*Stares Awestruck*
I don't think I could produce something that good if I took all year! How can you do these so quickly? Maybe I'm just really slow (or just really bad ^^; )

QuoteAnd here's a wiki avi version!

Neet-o! Good Job thinking ahead! Just make sure to put a black border on and it will be perfect!

Oh, and please forgive any spelling errors I made. I think I got them all, but it's hard to spell when your finger + bandages take up four keys by themselves! ^.^
-Tsu

Aurora Borealis

Thanks! And yes I'm positive that this is my first try with vectors! I'm so used to drawing freehand though and am able to finish stuff fairly quickly although the drawback is that outlines tend to be shaky. But when/if I get the hang of vectors, that'll be great because it saves me some steps in the drawing process! (and I don't have to worry about shakiness) Well, it may have taken long because I've redrawn the eyes 3 times or so until I was satisfied and well... I was experimenting with stuff along the way! ^^

Tsubashi

Well then, a very commendable performance! ^__^
I absolutely love your drawings! I can't wait for the next one!

QuoteBut when/if I get the hang of vectors, that'll be great because it saves me some steps in the drawing process!

If you're this good already, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it real fast! Besides, while vector images are great, nothing's perfect. It's all math, so everything is "Best fit line." Sometimes it's good to do a raster image for the "Human" touch.
Then again, I'm not exactly one who knows what he's talking about, so you should probably go ahead and do whatever you want to! ^-^

Quoteand well... I was experimenting with stuff along the way! ^^

The best way to get aquainted with new software is to mess with it. Honest! Everything I know about software comes from messing around with it (Except MS-DOS, but I was < 6 yrs. old so...)

Once again, Great Job! Suki!
-Tsu

Kami-Tux

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Jereath

Gosh! You're really good! After absorbing all your pictures, I found that keeping it simple is quite good too!

I really your art Aurora! Keep it up!

C-Chan

QuoteHere's my first attempt at vectors! It's Fark-tan, with a spectrum of tags in her hand! ^^ (okay, so there aren't any tags that are red but the pink "Interesting" tag is close enough)

*leaps toward Aurora-sama, crying happily*
WAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!  AURORA-SAMA!!!!  ^V^
You've decided to take the plunge into the intriguing world of vectors!  ^___^

And she looks uber marvelous!!!  I'm loading that wiki AVI up to the Wiki this instant!!!  ^V^

You know what this means, dontcha?  ^___^
You're only a stone-throw away now from taking that monumental step into Inkscape.... ^.^

[whispering]  (Then I can start forwarding SVGs to you instead of those PSDs.... ^.^)

QuoteBoy do my hands hurt! This took 1.5 hours to do and I could have gotten this done in 40 minutes or less if I did it freehand but I decided to experiment with the vector tools in Photoshop. Takes a lot longer but the advantage is that the outlines are all smooth. Well, it's all vectored except for the shading (which I could have vectored but that this was taking long enough, darnit!) but I'm satisfied!

No prob no prob.  ^.^
When I first vectored in Photoshop, it was a hassle for me too even though the benefits kept my interest in it alive long enough. ^__^

The problem is that Photoshop's vector tools are not true vector tools -- they're really vector-like tools that only assist in drawing rasterized graphics and lines.  That's why the abilities are very limited and tedious to use (I guess it's done on purpose, since Adobe wants you to go out and by Illustrator as well.... ^__~)

It's probably best that you play around with PS's vectors for a while, since you're still used to doing things freehand.  But once you're interested enough to take the plunge into full-blown strokes and paths,... let me know....

I'll gladly hook you up with the best and easiest vector program money can buy.... ^__~

(cost = $0 AND it's Mac compatible.  ^.^)

Added after 17 minutes:

Quote*Stares Awestruck*
I don't think I could produce something that good if I took all year! How can you do these so quickly? Maybe I'm just really slow (or just really bad ^^; )

A combination of a production mindset and practice is what you need to work with vectors,... fast.  -v-
Otherwise,... if you're a perfectionist at heart,... then you'll probably take just as long (if not longer) than freehanding it.  -v-

Of course, not sure why I'm saying it, since you have 0% experience drawing anything in Inkscape...

Nope, Tsubashi-san has never drawn nothing...^___^
Nothing at all....
Not even a node.... ^.^
A single tiny node... ^v^
If y'all think otherwise, you're crazy.  ^___^
Tsubashi-dono is about as experienced in Inkscape as I am in my ability as a pig to fly.... ^___^

*quickly hides wings*

Why are you people still trying to listen?
Go home, nothing to see here.... ^.^

QuoteOh, and please forgive any spelling errors I made. I think I got them all, but it's hard to spell when your finger + bandages take up four keys by themselves! ^.^

WTH happened to you?!!! @o@'

*shudders at thought of massive bandage*

QuoteThanks! And yes I'm positive that this is my first try with vectors! I'm so used to drawing freehand though and am able to finish stuff fairly quickly although the drawback is that outlines tend to be shaky. But when/if I get the hang of vectors, that'll be great because it saves me some steps in the drawing process! (and I don't have to worry about shakiness) Well, it may have taken long because I've redrawn the eyes 3 times or so until I was satisfied and well... I was experimenting with stuff along the way! ^^

Sou desu, sou desu.  ^__^
Experimentation is good,... We want to keep this as nice and natural as possible.  ^v^

*tries to foster Aurora's interest in vectors*
*pours water at her feet from garden water bottle, in hopes the interest will grow*

QuoteIf you're this good already, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it real fast! Besides, while vector images are great, nothing's perfect. It's all math, so everything is "Best fit line." Sometimes it's good to do a raster image for the "Human" touch.
Then again, I'm not exactly one who knows what he's talking about, so you should probably go ahead and do whatever you want to! ^-^

That is true,....

The new version of Inkscape has blur effects and great stroke-to-path effects, so being able to imitate soft shading and variable width lines is now possible enough to achieve photorealism.  ^__^

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en

HOWEVER,... vectors are still inherently precision tools, so as much as you try to imitate imprecise objects, there's always the same "overly clean" feel to it that can be backtraced.  So if you're looking to draw something overly complex and intentionally imprecise (such as clouds or CLAMP-quality manga illustrations), sticking with raster graphics would be more efficient.  ^__^

QuoteGosh! You're really good! After absorbing all your pictures, I found that keeping it simple is quite good too!

I really your art Aurora! Keep it up!

Simplicity is the backbone of Anime's success!!  ^v^
It's what turns a simple yet well-directed array of lines, shapes, colors and flat shades into the endearing characters we know and love.

Your avatar, for instance, is extremely easy to draw, but by gosh is it cute (you could look at that all day).  ^__^

Are you interested in vectors yet, Jereath?  ^.^

Aurora Borealis

Thanks, all of you! I updated the Fark-tan avatar so it has a black border! (at first I forgot that the wiki avis have black borders! ^^; ) Ah yes, working with vectors is one of the few times when I like math!

Here it is updated!

And here's SomethingAwful-tan, with the O RLY owl! YA RLY!

C-Chan

Tsubashi

Nifty-sweet! Suki! keep up the amazing work! ^v^

Quoteat first I forgot that the wiki avis have black borders! ^^;

That's ok, I forgot too on my first one! ^-^

Added after 4 minutes:

QuoteWTH happened to you?!!! @o@'

Heki Heki. I was taking apart some mini-mini sized hardware, and my screwdriver slipped. Not too bad, but it bled a whole lot. (All over the white plastic too! That took a while to clean up...)

Added after 4 minutes:

QuoteOf course, not sure why I'm saying it, since you have 0% experience drawing anything in Inkscape...

Nope, none at all. Maybe I should try? ^-^
*shuffles out of thread, whistling*
-Tsu

Aurora Borealis

Oh, I was wondering what happened that involved that needed that much bandages! Luckily you managed to clean up the mess because no one wants a red mini that is red from blood! And I think you should try drawing because the more artists the merrier! Also congrats to reaching GNU/Linux rank, Tsubashi! Wow. You've been here for less than 2 months and you ALREADY have 1000+ posts? Didn't take too long to outpost me! (you joined when I had about 400 posts)

Meh, I'm almost at Windows XP rank -_- Can't wait to reach OSX rank but this Lindows rank is good too!

Got more stuff done!

Here's a full-body chibi of Slashdot-tan! Yes, she's very gluttonous like XP-tan! You know, because Slashdot is most notorious for causing websites to crash from so much traffic and bandwidth consumption! And that's where we get the term "Slashdot effect" from!

And Slashdot-tan in wiki avi form!

And here's BBspot-tan! Specializes in satire, making Top 11 lists (she's holding one in the picture! Ha, Top 10's are overrated! BBspot goes that extra mile and 11 is the new 10!) and pointing out bloopers (usually involving funny mis-spellings or funny ad placements) and she carries a red highlighter pen to point those out! She's also very fond of geeky limericks.

Tsubashi

QuoteLuckily you managed to clean up the mess because no one wants a red mini that is red from blood!

True, but it's still not fixed! Now I have to wait until my finger heals.
Just watch, when I go to fix it I'll slash my finger open again. ^.^

QuoteAnd I think you should try drawing because the more artists the merrier!

Hai!

*Draw Draw Draw*
-Ding-

There! It's a Geiger counter! And now we've come near the extent of my drawing abilities. ^^'
Maybe with a little more time, I'd have smoothed edges a bit more. ^.^

QuoteAlso congrats to reaching GNU/Linux rank, Tsubashi! Wow. You've been here for less than 2 months and you ALREADY have 1000+ posts? Didn't take too long to outpost me! (you joined when I had about 400 posts)

Meh, just means I talk too much, but thanks! ^__^

QuoteGot more stuff done!

Yay more stuff! and quite awesome stuff at that! ^o^
*Twitches from awesome overload*

QuoteAnd Slashdot-tan in wiki avi form!

That is Nifty-Sweet x 10^5!!! I love the BG, it fits perfectly! ^v^

Quoteshe carries a red highlighter pen to point those out!

That is one huge pen! I'd better not make any spelling errors... <.<
*Runs entire post through Spellchecker*
-Tsu