Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

thats her style and thats what we love about it :p she is obviosly not trying to study perfect anatomy
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Okay, I'm back.  ^__^

QuoteI've also had the urge to make a House of Mac 4koma-format zerOSanity-style spinoff comic! The Mac-tans and -kuns are the main characters and it involves them doing their best to deal with each other, declare war on perverts, have crazy house parties and have other OS-tans from different factions come over (or at least attempt to. Most are too scared to proceed when a maniac with a bomb, bazooka or hammer just blasted the nearest wall down and that girl was about 1 ft away from getting hit) and maybe join the fray while they're at it!

Considering how far you've come along with Zerosanity, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were able to pull this spin-off too.  ^__^
And since you ARE a Mac user, it's only appropriate you represent.  ^v^

We just need to figure out what to do with the iPod-tans.  ^__^

QuoteAnd one of the scenes could involve Rhapsody-tan on the roof doing what you suggested. Something along the lines of:

Rhapsody-tan: Ooooohhh... smiley roof you wanna cider?
*pulls out bottle of apple cider*
drink up!
*cider just spills down the roof*
BAD ROOF BAD! *punches hole in roof*
Oh no! What have I done?!
NOOOOOOOOOO! I'M SORRYYYYYYYY! *cries*

That - it - cute.... ^___^
See,... whatdya I tell ya?  ^v^

People forget that Macs offer a limitless source of amusement,....  ^.^

QuoteAlso I was thinking the System 1,2,3 and 4-tans need nicknames but I can't really think of any.

Call me crazy, but I thought of calling System 2-chan the Quacker or "Ahiru", due to my odd association of her with ducks.  ^__^
Certainly when she goes on some pseudo-intellectual rambling, the risk is there that she'll bore the listeners.... so to keep them on their toes, she might randomly pull out a duck sock puppet and shout out some crazy duckspeak.

Not unlike Paiway from Vandread (although she had a frog puppet):

Nothing at all to do with the original system,... but then I'm not sure what rollcakes have to do with Windows ME either.  Sometimes it's just fun to add quirky things like that.  ^__^

1,3 and 4 will take some time.  -v-

QuoteThere are still some things that I ponder such as:

*System 1-tan founded the House of Mac, right? (Almost positive unless the mysterious blonde Mac-tan was around then because she once represented all of Mac OS. But I think she's just OSX-tan now and her age changed although still unknown) But if so, did her older sisters approve of living on her own? How well did she get along with them and did she move away as a sign of rebellion? And what about her having a different haircolor? More rebellion?

It is true that what you call Mac OSX-tan originally started as a quick catch-all for Mac computers, when no one cared to draw specific systems.  But she very quickly took the spot of a catchall OSX, and now references to her as that FAR outnumber those for the original MacOS.  And the biggest proponent to the contrary is nowhere to be seen anymore.  -v-

So at this point, I think i will go ahead and call her Generic Mac OSX-tan as well.  ^__^

And yes, although Apple I/II began the dynasty, it was really System 1-tan who likely helped physically construct the Mac House for her younger sisters (not unlike how Windows 2.0-tan built the original Windows home).  Given her attention span she probably didn't do a good job of it first, but sooner or later got it done (probably not after System 2-tan arrived to iron things out).  ^v^

You said so before that she's a rebel, so due to Apple's success and their past propensity to spoil the newest additions to the family (Lisa and Mac-tan), it wouldn't be surprising that System 1-tan would develop a feeling of invincibility and independence very quickly in life.  -v-'
I still think that Apple ][-tan would've approved of her living on her own, as she used to be something of a rebel herself and has always had a strong work ethic.  Certainly beats Lisa's Maria Antoinette-style spoilage.  ^__^

Remember, I made both of them blonde because at the time Generic Mac OSX-tan was technically Classic Mac in my mind.  Now that she's gone from the picture, there is no blonde Mac until System 8-tan.  ^^'

That's probably a minor issue really, especially since none of the OSX kitty girls have blonde hair either.  ^v^

If I ever draw an Apple I-tan, I think I would give her a different colored hair as well, so as not to create the illusion that all Macs have to be blonde.  ^v^

Quote*Also are the other Mac-tans 1-tan's little sisters or daughters?

Again, I made ][-tan and Lisa-tan back when there was only "two" Mac-tans, so I never could and still can't envision any of them as anything more than just sisters.  ^__^

In my mind at least, I still have Apple I-tan as the mother.  It's a bit sad, but also testatment to the fact that Apple OS-tans truly had to fight a lot more to get to where they are now.  ^__^

(By contrast, M$ cheated its way into success.... ^v^)

Quote*How well did Lisa-tan get along with her Mac sisters before she got traumatized and scarred for life and stopped talking?

Hehe,... not very well at all.  ^__^

At first she was quite condescending to her younger sisters.  Then as they're popularity grew, she began acting a lot more competitive.  Only when it was obvious her line was doomed did she become mean-spirited and offish.

And well the rest is history.  -___-

Like System 7-tan, I too have in mind having her heal some time in the distant future.  Don't have many details yet, but it'd make for a nice story of redemption that's decades in the making.  ^__^

[*whoops* gotta go, but will reply to the rest tomorrow!  ^v^]
[*dart off in hurry*]

C-Chan

Okay, where was I?  ^__^

Quote*As mentioned earlier, Cheetah-tan. OSX-tan, Veronica-tan (OS8-tan) and Antares-tan (System 6-tan) are the girls that the OSX-kuns fear the most because they really know how to put the catmen in their place. Would they work together as an Anti-Pervert Patrol?

Absolutely.  ^__^
Hence why there's also more friction than necessary between Tiger-sama and generic OSX,... because Tiger-sama, by comparison, is a lot more laid back and lenient to their antics.  ^.^

Speaking of the anti-pervert team, since we're now in agreement that OSX-tan is OSX-tan, then now OS8-tan will be the eldest.  So maybe it should be OS8-tan who's the bomb-wielding master and OSX-tan the apprentice?  ^__^

(or maybe just that OSX-tan surpassed the master?  ^v^)

In any case, I always envision OS8-tan as being a bomblet wielder -- whereas OSX-tan focuses on hurling single POWERFUL bombs, OS8-tan's skill lies in tossing several miniature bombs at once for maximum speed and range (notice in my pic of her that the bomb is tiny...).  ^.^

QuoteAnd spiffy new signature btw, C-Chan! So much OS-tan
goodness in one picture and even better is that it is all underrepresented OSes! I've noticed some irony in the picture though: OS/2 Warp-tan is surrounded by Mac-tans and she dislikes them because of her upbringing! But hey, she could have been surrounded by Windows-tans! BWAHAHAHA! And eCS-tan is holding the plushies she made! And System 7-tan's got a basket of kittens! ^^

Thank you, Aurora-sama.  ^__^
The larger version shows all the details, if you're interested.  ^v^

http://www.verytragicalmirth.com/Images/AnnexOStans.jpg

And wow! you're right!  @v@
I didn't realize it when I did it, but OS/2-tan is LITERALLY surrounded by Mac-tans, isn't she?  ^v^;
And there are even 2 Windows-tans near here!  ^.^
Thankfully, she has no gripe with 1.0-tan (she knows she's harmless and even has some fond memories of her from her childhood), and OSR 2.5-sama is too obscure for OS/2-tan to notice.  ^v^

And yeah, the good thing about this latest image was that I was able to remodel characters so that they look slightly new.  DR-DOS has no pills (and is comforting PC-DOS-tan), OS8-tan is the unfortunate host for Palm-tan, OS/2-tan is being admired by OS9.2-tan and Panther-sama, ][-tan and OS1-tan are cuddling, Apple Lisa doesn't have her basket, QDOS-tan is sneaking around System 7, OS7-tan ditched her sword in favor of holding the OSX-kuns up to the camera, and my personal favorite,... you can now see PETchan's full uniform!  ^.^

And as you mentioned, eCS-tan is holding all her adorable plushies, wedged between a separated C64-tan and Amiga-tan.  ^__^

QuoteThe picture idea of Cheetah-tan giving an OSX-kun his just desserts is in progress! Why, here's the sketch of it!

Cheetah-sama looks awesome in this sketch, and the chibi onlookers add a wonderful touch.  ^__^

QuoteBWAHAHAHA! There's another "odd one out" in the picture!
*sings* "One of these is not like the other, one of these is not the same!"

It's hard to spot without color, but I know I can recognize Homeko, Sonata-san, OSX-tan, and OS4-tan.  

*squints*  The other three I can't make out yet.  ;__;

QuoteAnd here's a full-body picture of the Yotsuba-inspired Mac-tan, System 4-tan, and with Clarus the Dogcow! MOOOOOOOOOF!

Wow!  You did a wonderful job on her face in this pic.  ^v^
It's a very interesting mixture of gorgeous, cute (quadruple pigtails!  ^v^) and mature.  I love it, and it's definitely opening the flood gates to more possible personality traits (previously, she drew a blank for me most of the time).  ^__^

I'm sorry if I forgot the story about the Dogcow, though.  ^^'

In any case, that's C-chan's report in a nutshell!  ^v^

MisterCat

C-Chan, would you please get on over to OS-TAN Forums :: View topic - Forum Games: What would you do if...?  and get that thread unstuck?  Thank you!

;hi

=^..^=

C-Chan

*trots back in*

Done..................  -__________________-

MisterCat

Thank you, C-Chan, for your very thoughtful answer!  We now return this thread to its rightful topic.

;019

=^..^=

Xyanide

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"thats her style and thats what we love about it :p she is obviosly not trying to study perfect anatomy

well not not perfect but at least SOME anatomy at all would be nice :S

Sorry to say this but I very dislike the drawings XD

CaptBrenden

ah well to each their own.  Shes learning.  I personaly like them, and their style.  Tho, as where saying you dislike them is allowed, please be curtious in the way you say it tho.. wouldnt want to hurt a young artists self esteam.

SleepyD

I don't think 'rora's the sort, but I know some artists whose self-esteem has plummeted due to a few comments like that here and there.  (Even if their art is amazing)

and anyway, constructive criticism is almost always appreciated.

A thought has just come to me while looking through her stuffs:
Since you don't intend to make the characters proportional.... maybe you should play around with the arm length.... It might look cuter with a shorter arm.  A suggestion.  Play around with it. ^^

CaptBrenden

indeed. artists are very emo sometimes.. even amazing artists on DA fall into funks from comments like that.  

But, as for the anatomy, I highly saggest classes on it for anyone that intends to be a serios artist one day. I have books and books on it

Xyanide

oh i'm not trying to hurt anyone don't get me wrong,

I just like to see SOME anatomy performed vaguely as in...moving joints and shoulders that don't look dislocated lol

I did some cartoonish works myself, years ago and usually just for passtime in class. Even did a Diablo fanart once (non coloured simply sketched), but i don't think i have it anywhere anymore XD

MisterCat

Folks, there are highly-paid artists in Japan who haven't yet grasped the fact that humans don't have razor-sharp pointed chins; these artists draw legs as four parallel lines; they think impossibly-huge breasts are perfectly acceptable; they're unfamiliar with the fact there's an anatomical feature called an ass/bum/butt; they think mouths are obscene; and the list goes on.  In short, they have their own style.

Aurora has her own style as well, wherein the emphasis is on dialog and facial expression in addition to story line.  I find her characters to be totally cute and endearing, her story-telling first rate and her dialog extremely witty.

That's what makes a comic strip enjoyable.  Ms Borealis is on a roll; and I for one say, "Damn the torpedoes!  Full speed ahead!"

;019

=^..^=

Aurora Borealis

I'll admit it. Anatomy is not my thing. But hey, I'm trying! But besides the fact that there are some things I just can't draw yet, is my art still good overall?

And to answer C-Chan's question:
Quote from: "C-Chan"

QuoteThe picture idea of Cheetah-tan giving an OSX-kun his just desserts is in progress! Why, here's the sketch of it!

Cheetah-sama looks awesome in this sketch, and the chibi onlookers add a wonderful touch.  ^__^

QuoteBWAHAHAHA! There's another "odd one out" in the picture!
*sings* "One of these is not like the other, one of these is not the same!"

It's hard to spot without color, but I know I can recognize Homeko, Sonata-san, OSX-tan, and OS4-tan.  

*squints*  The other three I can't make out yet.  ;__;

The other three onlookers are Jaguar-tan, Puma-tan and OS8-tan/Veronica-tan

Pitkin

Anatomical accuracy... don't care much about that myself. I love Aurora-san's drawings (and colours ^o^) very much, and find them just chibi enough to please my eyes. ^__^

Of course, everyone's entitled to their opinions; let's all stay polite and friendly, that's all I'm asking. ^^

CaptBrenden

good rule is ask if critisium is acceptable first.  

and yes aroura, i think your art is good over all and you will continue to get better with time.  Keep in mind the things people say, practice them when you get a chance and always try to do better with each picture and you should be fine