What anime are ya watching?

Started by SleepyD, August 25, 2006, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

The sub vs. dub debate grinds my gears because not all dubs are done equally. Not all of them are bad. However the subs do have the advantage of always being uncut.

I think that Bleach and Naruto are dubbed very well.

But Tokyo Mew Mew, Sailor Moon (especially the DiC dubs), Yugioh (especially GX ;__; ), Pokemon Chronicles (especially the "Raikou Legend of Thunder" episodes) are some of the worst dubs I've seen!

And what really grinds my gears is that when Pokemon got switched over to Pokemon USA to be dubbed, they promised sound-alikes of the main characters but the new Ash, May, Brock, James and Meowth sound nothing like they used to! May's new voice is good but I'm just still so used to her old one. Her new voice sounds a lot like Misty's though.

I only watch shows for anime that aren't dubbed yet.

NewYinzer

Since I've downloaded so many subs in the last few months, I think I'll start to buy some of the DVD's when they're out. I know the dubs aren't going to be as good as I want, but I feel indebted to the animators. As for the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'll be the first one on Amazon preordering it!

CaptBrenden

how long till the rozen maiden us release? anyone know?
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Aurora Borealis

Rozen Maiden has a dub?! No way!

And I'm surprised that Haruhi is liscenced because of the trademark infringements of Haruhi being dressed like a Playboy bunny reguarly

CaptBrenden

i heard it was getting licenced by genon

MisterCat

I'd much rather watch any foreign-language video with that language on audio whilst English subtitles appear on the screen.  However, subtitles apparently remain an afterthought to most video producers:  They can't seem to agree on a proper standard.

The best subtitles, in my opinion, have bright-yellow letters with black borders.  Presently, I'm watching an anime series in which the subtitles are medium green and hence illegible from across the viewing room when superimposed over a dark background.

So, I'm watching it with English audio.  Lack of adhering to a most-legible standard is not just an anime problem, as even newly-released foreign-language feature films have fallen back into the pit of using white letters for subtitles.

Consequently, as soon as a bright background shows up the subtitles fade into obscurity.  Perhaps we're all supposed to purchase special viewing glasses, or else make up our own dialog.

;026

=^..^=

SleepyD

yeah, that's a problem.

I think there are only two standard colors, that being white and what a few have termed "puke yellow"

sometimes I think fansubs spoil me with all their fancy colors and fonts of different types and sizes.

while on that topic, ADV has introduced a concept called AD Vidnotes... which provides useful translation/cultural notes on screen.  Especially useful for Pani Poni Dash! And if anyone's seen the fansubs for that, it's rich in extra notes.

MisterCat

Yeah, SleepyD, it would be both educational and interesting to have cultural notes available for viewing!  That brings me to another gripe, this one pertaining to so-called "extra features."

To me, an "extra feature" isn't a so-called "art gallery" of concept sketches the size of postal cards; nor is it an opening or closing title sequence bereft of credits.  An "extra feature" should be something actually worthwhile, like an interview with the director; or a documentary on the history of animation in Japan.

A dozen different versions of the closing credits, for example, do absolutely nothing for me.  Who cares?  It's just a bunch of filler enabling the distributors to say there are "extra features," when in fact all they're doing is sweeping up what's been tossed onto the floor during production.

;006

=^..^=

zjhentohlauedy

well i think subs are better, when i hear the voices in dubs it just doesn't seem to give off the same feeling.
there are also jokes in anime that doesn't work when its dubbed.

anyway it does seem that dubbing are becoming better and better, i just hope that they keep it up. old dubs are so horrible that remembering it sends chills down my spine.  :/

well thats just me.
My my, aren't you lovely~

Nidas

There are some good dubs out there, I liked the Love Hina, Fruits Basket, Akira and NGE dubs (Asuka swearing in German is win XD) just off the top of my head. Normally though I prefer subs, but I think thats mostly cos anime is a much bigger industry in Japan than in the West so its kinda obvious they're not going to be able to hire as good actors for the English dubs =/ I don't really roll with the whole "subs are better cos they're the original cast/in Japanese/whatever" argument. You only need to look at anime like Fruits Basket and Fullmoon wo Sagashite to realise that sub is no guarantee of quality

Silentbob

I've pretty much always been a sub man myself, it doesn't only apply to anime, but mostly everything else as well.   In Norway everything on TV is in its original language (with norwegian subs of course), except for some childrens morning shows, and I remember they tried to put on a dubbed show (can't remember the name, but it was a sitcom), and the public was suddenly in an uproar demanding they put the english voice cast back.   ;027

MisterCat

My first exposure to the Joy Of Dubbing took place on Okinawa in the Ryukyu Islands, ages ago.  I happened into a shop which had a television receiver tuned to a Japanese channel; and it was showing an episode of Bonanza.

I found it hilarious to hear Hoss Cartwright speaking Japanese!  To the voice actor's great credit, tone-wise Hoss-san sounded exactly like Dan Blocker.

;011

=^..^=

Exa

I saw a 8 minute preview(?) of Strike Witches. As far as I know, it's an OVA, but what is it's (current) length? The conception seems interesting, but technology + magic is kinda "What the hell?" for me.

CaptBrenden

as an AMV maker from time to time, i love having textless opening and closings.  Some of the best footage in a show is often the intro.  As for subbing, yeah some fan sub groups pick bad colors, but the subs are usualy far better then waht youll get on a DVD.  They have translation notes, they time them with the speaking better, diffent colors when mulitiple people are tlaking at once.. and if you like kareoke the openings and such are normaly set up to help you with that.

NewYinzer

As for the subs vs. dubs battle, I like to have the subs on DVD after I have bought the dubs. That way, I have fulfilled my obligation to buy the official DVD and I have the translation notes as well.

QuoteI found it hilarious to hear Hoss Cartwright speaking Japanese! To the voice actor's great credit, tone-wise Hoss-san sounded exactly like Dan Blocker.

That reminds me of a book I read about Pan Am. Most pilots stuck to their old time zone, and were forced to watch Bonanza reruns in Japanese. Ya know, I don't care much for the new Pan Am. It's poorly managed and had no routes...

*rambles on*