Main Menu

Member Introduction Thread

Started by Pitkin, December 11, 2005, 04:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey

Okayy, welcome both HTMLCODER and omnisilverfox...
Good to see new faces around, bad to see interesting things always happen when i'm not around :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

uchiwa

mmmmmmmmmmmmm what would i say.........hello to everyone, hola, koniichiwa.......etc

Smokey

Hi, there!

A new member... :D

Enjoy this forum... ;010
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

JamesBurr

Quote from: "..::HTMLCODER.exe::.."
Quote from: "omnisilverfox"Ahem... *Adjusts his glasses* My name is Silverfox of Omni (UN=omnisilverfox). You can just call me Silver. I am a person who constantly drifts about on the net. I stumble on to interesting things, like this site. I am a big fan of the OS-Tan. I find it clever that someone could personify even an OS.
Ahem... there is SAND on my boots!
:)
Who-wha?!  <.<  >.>
  Fear the power....of my spinning bee army! 

Justin

My name is Justin, and about 2 days ago I became obsessed with OS-tans, particularly XP-tan. :D
And hot girls representing OS's is definitely a fulfillment of one of my biggest fantasies, so I'll probably be around here a lot. :P
Plus, this forum should be a nice break from all the tech-support forums I usually spend time at.

Smokey

Welcome, Justin... :D

And about the "welcome break from tech-support"; Amen to that... ;010
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

Justin, eh?
Well, dear chap, welcome to /osc/! I daresay that I harbor hope for ye to have an astonishingly remarkable time here!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

VonDaab

Justin?
Your last name doesn't happen to be "Bailey"?

Err...
Nevermind that. Welcome, and enjoy your stay.

Justin

VonDaab

Hmm, too bad. Bailey would've been so awesome.

Zilka

Hi everyone! My name is Slava and I'm from Russia. My interests are IT, Anime and asian girls. Its not hard to see now that OS-tans are one heck of an explosive mix of all of my interests.
You already know I'm working on the Vis-tan desktop assistant. Now the story is she's been there on my desktop for the past 4-5 month. For the past few weeks she's been randomly blinking there. And I say I want more!!! Hope Darknight will be back soon with loads of lovely graphics. Don't know how possible is that, don't really care - I just want to hope!
I see there's very few Vista users here. Or am I wrong? Please show yourselves! Oh and to explain this fact Vis-tan only runs on Vista... Thats just so logical - she's but the manifestation of your system. If you attempt to run her elsewhere - BEWARE body cannot live without a sole... you'd give birth to an abomination!!! BEWARE!
Now to get back to myself. I'm a programmer. Graduated from an institute in Ireland last year. Been studying computer science there. Currently not really occupied - just enjoying my stay here in Sweden.

NejinOniwa

Wait. Who in their right mind would go on vacation to Sweden? Is there a greater waste of time to be found? I mean.

Then again, having lived here my entire life, I guess I shouldn't say much. Home's always a bit boring ^^
Anyway. I thought I'd seen you around.
QuoteIf you attempt to run her elsewhere - BEWARE body cannot live without a soul...you'd give birth to an abomination!!! BEWARE!

Anyways! Formal welcome to the forums, Zilka!
As for the lack of Vista users on /osc/, I'd say that there's so many FOSS zealots around that they might have trouble gathering up their courage ^^
It should be a simple thing to substitute the Vis-tan for another -tan, though, shouldn't it? Being the coder and all, you should be able to supply in a flash.
Maybe. I dunno.
Oh well, that's for another day - WELCOMETHGLOMPAGE!!!
*pounce*

Zilka

Except for the problem there's no ready-made animation frames for any Os-tan (even Vis-tan, in fact, for now) out there, there's also the technical problem. My requirements are that an image of arbitrary shape and transparency is displayed and updated on top of the desktop. I discovered that Vista sidebar provides the right framework to achieve this. So what other options are out there? Let's talk about Windows first. Say XP, the closest relative. Graphics for every window are treated differently there - XP wasn't made to support transparency between different window layers and alpha-blending such as in Winamp doesn't come easy. As for other platforms I don't even know if they support transparency between windows or how to code it and test it. Maybe these FOSS zealots could make themselves useful and enlighten me?
Basically my conclusion is that this kind of program will be very hard (or impossible) to be made cross-platform.
All I can do is share the algorithms behind the Assistant behaviour with whoever decides to make one for a different OS.. once I finish this one.

So are you in Stockholm right now? I'm here visiting my parents. Yes its very boring here. At least I have access to internet...

NejinOniwa

Didn't you say it was fairly simple to patch it with Alky? If so, you'd just have to change the imagery (and I can promise you, THAT is the smallest of our problems), write it into the Vista code, patch and you're done. Maybe?

Ah, anyway, that stuff goes in the thread for it, so we'll migrate this discussion there.

And I guess that's one of the things Sweden is good at, looking at the fact that practically everyone has - or can seamlessly upgrade to - connections over 5mbit. I mean it - my aunt, who lives in the middle of nowhere in the west border towards Norway, has an 8mbit uplink...and the WiFi's are everywhere.

Added after 31 seconds:

We're pretty tech-savvy now when I think about it ^^

Justin

We're pretty tech-savvy now when I think about it ^^
Considering how OS-tans are mainly oriented towards geeks, I'm not surprised. xD

I want one of those Wi-fi detector shirts now.  o_o