Main Menu

Member Introduction Thread

Started by Pitkin, December 11, 2005, 04:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shateiel

Hello there, everyone! I'm Shateiel... just like what it says on the label. I have computers running *shudder* Windows ME, Windows XP,  and Windows 98.

I'm just a bit new to the concept of the OS-tans, so bear with me, but I learn very quickly.

It looks as though there's a nice community here and that's definitely a plus, not to mention the extensive gallery and such. I'm looking forward to an enjoyable stay.

Xeon

Welcome Shateiel allthought im also still slightly new i welcome you ~pyoro :3
enjoy your stay here

Them be the Velvets. They are made of Velvets and Megidolaon.

Tsubashi

That shudder was well deserved, Shateiel-san. I suggest upgrading to a more... Stabe/amazing/free/awesome/astounding...etc OS
MMMmmmm... How about Linux? ^__^
There certainly are a few experts around here ^-^

Anyways, hope you enjoy your stay ^v^
-Tsu

Lovee

um... maybe SENPAI is a bit o_o anyway thank you^o^
exam? not bad, i guess i can get a good point, the problem left is to get my visa^ ^
and also, i hope i can get my driving licence^ ^ i'm now studying in driving school^_^

Kami-Tux

Hi Shateiel! I agree, Windows ME is something, you need to take care of. How about a user-friendly (K)ubuntu instead? :)

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NejinOniwa

Hayoussu! Irasshai, Shaietel-san!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Shateiel

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone! And you're all right, Windows ME is something that absolutely needs to be taken care of, but I can't. That computer's ancient and in terrible condition. I couldn't get any of the *buntus to work. T.T But I'll live, probably. Maybe a little less hair than if I didn't have ME, but I'll survive.

The XP and the 98 are up for a switch, though. I just never got around to it.

Kami-Tux

Zenwalk or damnsmalllinux maybe? :)

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Silentbob

Welcome, Shateiel.    ;hi

Gummster

Shateiel! Welcome! I hope you have fun, and solve the ME problem. You really should try DamnSmallLinux, if you are having trouble using the 'buntus.

Shateiel

Thanks. I'll try those and tell you what I come up with.  It'll be a miracle if it works, but there's always a chance.

C-Chan

Welcome Shateiel!  ^___^

Funny coincidence really,... this week I received as payment (for router installation and Wii internet hookup) a brand new, spic-and-span Gateway FlexATXSTC Bro Essential circa 2000, running an Intel Celeron 677mhz processor with 64MB of RAM.  No ethernet, no graphics card (but at least USB ports up the wazoo...), and a heavily worm-infected Windows ME installation.  ^.^

I kid you not that the poor old machine took literally 20 minutes to boot into Windows and another 5 minutes to go to the Configuration Panel to check up the system specs.... -v-

So off that thing went, and in its place is a Puppy Linux HD installation that takes no more than 30 seconds to boot and instantaneously opens up everything!  ^___^

Will try Feather Linux as well, since Knoppix-based distros seem to have better look getting all the best Vesa graphics modes off that weird Intel chipset.  -v-

Morale of the story is,... um,... welcome Shateiel, and yes miracles can happen.  ^^
(like making an old Gateway NOT suck.... ^v^)

NewYinzer

Welcome Shateiel and to all the new members! Feel free to post in the forum, view the gallery, and download stuff from the download section! I'll be right here to answer any questions...

QuoteFunny coincidence really,... this week I received as payment (for router installation and Wii internet hookup) a brand new, spic-and-span Gateway FlexATXSTC Bro Essential circa 2000, running an Intel Celeron 677mhz processor with 64MB of RAM. No ethernet, no graphics card (but at least USB ports up the wazoo...), and a heavily worm-infected Windows ME installation. ^.^

Even more coincidental: I have an old Pionex (made in the USA) with a Pentium II (233 mhz) and 64MB of RAM. Ethernet, graphics, and USB. It runs Windows 98SE, and I hope to upgrade it to some form of Linux. Any advice, Linuxmeister C-Chan?

C-Chan

Good thing you're just calling me "-meister" and not "-guru", or I'd get a good pecking...  ^^'

*plagiarizes off recommendations given above*

Zenwalk
Damn Small Linux
Puppy Linux (w00f!  ^v^)
Feather Linux

I can vouch that you CAN in fact make do with only 64megs of RAM on their respective LiveCDs,... but even so, use your luck to set up a SWAP partition ASAP before proceeding with anything else.  Not unless you can boost its RAM prior to doing so (it never hurts to add a little extra RAM).  ^^'

Any other questions, you know where to post to....  ^.^

*on-topic*

Hello in advance to the next 5 members that show up!  ^v^

*trots off discreetly*

Bella

QuoteThank you for the welcomes, everyone! And you're all right, Windows ME is something that absolutely needs to be taken care of, but I can't. That computer's ancient and in terrible condition. I couldn't get any of the *buntus to work. T.T But I'll live, probably. Maybe a little less hair than if I didn't have ME, but I'll survive.

The XP and the 98 are up for a switch, though. I just never got around to it.

Welcome, Shateiel! I recently had one helluva time getting my Compaq running 98 to boot into a liveCD running Puppy, but with the help of our great forum members, all is well now :D

I second the sugeestions of Puppy Linux and Zenwalk  ;010 And if you have any questions about Linux, this is the place to ask :)