What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

Old Apple laptops are universally fucked.

Bella

For god's sake it's 23 years old! I don't have any laptops that old that actually run ...

Krizonar

Sounds like the FSTN (its screen technology) is shot and it won't power up completely due to that being a major hardware issue.
Not sure how you'd replace that... it's ancient technology.

Nichi

Sounds about like Captain Caveman (The Zenith 386 laptop I had); it's hard drive died and its screen burned out...and given its age and obscurity, replacement parts are nigh-on impossible to find ;_;

Currently, the oldest laptop I own that still works is Sonata (iBook G3 clamshell)

Chocofreak13

was about to say, if the speakers and disk are running, it's likely a burnt-out screen. the easiest thing to do would probably be search ebay for a working one and cobble the two together......but how much do you really want to spend on this new toy?
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Mine would work if I could find a working set of System 7 boot disks.  The solutions the tech guys at school and I tried to get it booting from sketchy maybe Sys7 dics/maybe not just didn't cut it.

Chocofreak13

ebay? i can't imagine they'd be THAT expensive.
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

after losing an auction this afternoon (in the last 15 seconds, what the fuck) on a 750gb WD HDD, i said 'screw it' to a size upgrade, caved, and bought a 500gb seagate internal. it's virtually the same specs of what i'm using now, and since it's shipping from Natick, it should be here within the week.

ergo, i'll have Loly back up and running within the week.

and if the drive is a lemon i can drive down there and drive the drive into his/her heart.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yay! ^^

I ended up with a free desktop via the garage sale leftovers mom's obtained past few weeks. Graphics card is apparently dead, so I can't test too far, but it tries to boot to Windows 98 (And, in fact, had an upgrade CD for it in the drive), and upon inspection inside, it has a Pentium II. I'll likely just part it out :\

Chocofreak13

hahaha, it tried so hard, and got so far. but in the end, it didn't even matter.
click to make it bigger

Bella

DEAR MAC PEOPLE (Kriz),

I bought a 3TB WD MyBook on sale a couple months, I've used MyBooks for as long as I can remember w/o any trouble. Just got around to taking it out of the box and connecting it to Eve, lo and behold OS X won't recognize or mount the damned thing. I checked the USB cable, the connection was okay, so it has to be a software thing.

Installed WD Disk Utility assuming that maybe there was some silly software installation requirement, but it doesn't recognize the drive either.

I poked around online a bit looking for software/drivers but didn't turn up any leads. God I miss the days when manufacturers actually included the fucking software with your product, or even, like, gave you a URL to download it. But there's absolutely no information included in the "manual" (series of pictures showing how to connect the drive to the computer with no text because apparently we've gone back to using pictograms to communicate) Maybe the software I need is ON the disk? But it can't be mounted so I'm shit outta luck.

Any advice? I got this for a great price so I don't want to have to return it if I can avoid it. If I can't, well, i guess I'll just buy an internal HDD + case and make my own.

Nichi

Try plugging it into your laptop, and see if the files are on it?
(If so, find a way to move those to your Mac with a different drive, and boom)

Bella

I just tried connecting it to the USB port on my keyboard and it connected.

But it won't mount if it's connected to any of the USB ports on the computer itsself.

Note, I have a keyboard, mouse and printer connected to the computer USB ports and those all work fine.

What's even going on?

ETA: Plugged a $5 GE USB hub into Eve, and then plugged the HDD into that and now it mounts

I still don't know what's going on.

Nichi

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on August 09, 2014, 06:05:14 PM
What's even going on?

Glad you got it to work, but to me this sounds like what could only be a permissions issue, try verifying and repairing those with it mounted!